Used 1999 Lexus GS 400 Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1999 Lexus Gs-400 - Consumer Reviews

1999 Lexus GS 400 Sedan

Base 4.0L V8 5-speed Automatic - (25 reviews )

Pursuit of Perfection? Really?
By WCockrum

1999 Lexus GS 400 Sedan 4dr Sedan

I purchased a my GS with 65k on it and documented service history at the dealer all the way back to and including the window sticker. I am now at 89K and the plastic case around the AC evaporator has failing adhesive that leaks water into the car ($3400 repair). The starter takes about 20 min to actually start ( $900 repair) and it will be due for the $1000 90K maintenance at the next oil change. That's $5300 in maintenance before 90K miles. This is not the type of quality I expect from Toyota or Lexus. I don't think I will buy another and I would give some serious thought to repair expenses before I purchased one of their products. The headliner and sunroof sunshade have had rattles also.

Favorite Features

Power.

Suggested Improvements

Eliminate interior rattles, don't put a seam through the bottom of a container that holds water. It will eventually fail.

EXPENSIVE REPAIRS
By ANTONY80

1999 Lexus GS 400 Sedan 4dr Sedan

I bought the car used with 38k miles in March 03. No problems until 65k where my alternator needed to be replaced (I had to tow from turnpike). $800. At 80k miles check engine light and cat converter needed to be replaced $1500/converter and this car has 2 so $3000. I still like the car and plan to keep it for a while. More reliable than a BMW or Audi.

Favorite Features

300HP. Handling.

Suggested Improvements

Cupholder, please have a manual version. After all this is a sporty sedan.

What a car!!
By Toshi1

1999 Lexus GS 400 Sedan 4dr Sedan

I bought this car used with 67K miles on it and it runs like it was new. Everything you can expect from a Toyota when it comes to quality and reliability. The tranny shifts so smooth and the power is just like my old IS300 with more oomphhhh!! With windows up the car is so quiet inside.

Favorite Features

The quiet whisper of the motor at idle, the power from a V8 and gas mileage!!! In the 20+ mpg range still with a V8!!! Gotta love that. I like the dual climate controls still for an older car too.

Suggested Improvements

Not much except that the interior is obviously a bit older looking compared to the newer GS models. I don't like the green back light on instrument panel, but I think I found a guy that can change that.

Best used sports sedan period
By Edward

1999 Lexus GS 400 Sedan 4dr Sedan

My third Lexus... as always unsurpassed build quality and reliability. Gas mileage is exceptional for a V8, 22mpg mixed driving. Engine is silky yet strikingly powerful, it just pulls and pulls. Transmission is very responsive when you throttle into it. The Nakamichi sound system is amazing. The bigger wheels and spoiler are a must have, they really give the car an aggressive look. All in all, one of my favorite buys ever.

Favorite Features

Nakamichi sound system is the BEST I've heard next to the Levinson offered in the LS.

Suggested Improvements

Offered 18 inch wheels as a factory option.

116k and Still Feels Brand New
By Nader

1999 Lexus GS 400 Sedan 4dr Sedan

I cant believe how amazing this car is. I've had it for over 4 years and it feels, pulls strong, just like the day I bought it. THe 300hp is still silky smooth, and it take almost anything off the line. STS's, any SUV, Benzes---whatever--they dont want to race you off the line because this vehicle is so intimidating. The luxury that this vehicle has is still ahead of the game---one touch up and down all windows and moonroof. On the highway, it glides, but you still feel rock solid. The Xenon lights have held up. Just hate it when I drop something in between the seats and the center console---so hard to get out. I love my Lexus and am going to keep it forever. This car becomes a part of you.

Favorite Features

300hp V8, Xenon lights with yellow fogs, highway glide never gets old, never ending hurricane force passing power, Lexus unmatched reliability--- I;ve had ZERO problems.

Suggested Improvements

You cant fix perfection.