Used 2006 Lexus GS 300 Consumer Reviews - 183 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2006 Lexus GS 300 - Consumer Reviews

2006 Lexus GS 300

View reviews for a specific GS 300 model:

Good, but not perfection of Lexus
By succeedinlife5

2006 Lexus GS 300 4dr Sedan AWD (3.0L 6cyl 6A)

Good car, but not perfection. I traded my 2000 LX 470 in for this as the fuel prices were getting high and the LX had too many things that needed to be fixed. I liked this car for it had the AWD package and was sporty. The style, layout, and overall looks were what I wanted. The problems are with the fit and finish of this car. The front dash rattles and I have taken it to the dealer 3 times for that. The wheel finish was poor, which I was able to get new wheels under warranty. The tires Run-Flat tires were great as I enjoy a stiff ride, but wore out on the insides, even with proper rotation. Get car, but Lexus fit and finish is really needing help to get back to Lexus quality.

The touch screen was a cool feature that really made the car modern and up to date. Also, the hidden button console to get rid of so many buttons out in the open as I enjoy uncluttered looks. AWD was a fantastic option as I like cars and Lexus did not really offer much except in SUVs with AWD.

Fit and finish. The dash rattles need to be fixed, the rearview mirror rattles, the wheels chipping was unacceptable for a car of this caliber. My muffler is very loud, which sounds bad for a refined luxury car. The fuel door never stays open and is a pain to use. A/C smells bad sometimes.

Best of its Class
By ErnestN San Diego

2006 Lexus GS 300 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 6A)

What an outstanding car!!! Tested it straight up against a M35, and the GS 300 was a hands down winner. It has everything, I mean everything you could ask for in a car. Bought it lightly used, the ride is superb, the looks head-turning, the features off the charts. Gas mileage 25 on my first tank, compared to 17-9 for the M35. Had a laundry list of items I wanted for my post military retirement "new" car, and this GS hit every one. Its only been a month, but no road noise, smooth ride, and the engine barely makes a sound. But with keyless start, you'll never grind the starter!! Money well spent!! One of these days I'll read the manual to find out what other features I have!

When the car is locked, when you approach it at night the interior and exterior mirror lights fade on, as to say "Welcome back". And here in CA, where hands free is mandatory, the Bluetooth works like a dream. However, you may have to upgrade your phone to upload numbers to the car's hard drive.

The engine covers hide all internal workings, just to change an air filter requires a two step process. But who am I kidding, I don't do a thing except check the oil. Other than needing more interior lighting, the car is perfect. You hear that, Mercedes, BMW, and Infiniti? PERFECT!!

Dream Car!
By SZ

2006 Lexus GS 300 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 6A)

Great options, nice styling inside and out. Awesome sound system, comfortable ride. Outstanding interior design - aesthetically pleasing. Comfortable, yet fast enough, gas mileage almost like a 4 cylinder Camry. Build with materials of high quality. Bought certified used - peace of mind!

Looks! Especially the interior, camera, GPS, Panel controls, spot lights and Mark Levinson sound system. Acceleration on streets and cruising ability on freeways. AFS lights, parking sensors, rear pillars styling very sporty...

None....a very balanced car for its price.

What happened
By ted

2006 Lexus GS 300 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 6A)

We replaced our 03 GS300 with an 06. Loved the old one figured we'd love the newer one. Wrong. Brakes, cruise ride , AC and Nav don't work as good as old car. Ride and handling choppier also. Tranny hunts for gears at low speed and in the hills. Has been in the shop 5 times in three months. Disappointing car. Great to look at but no fun to drive. Am going to trade for something that I can live with.

Looks. Gas mileage. Stereo. Acceleration. Turning radius.

Try improving on the previous generation car. Holy cow! I thought I was upgrading. Brakes are awful. Kids and wife constantly complaining about my driving in this car. Cruise control is spastic. Constantly hunting gears and racing engine. I love the old GS but can't wait to get rid of this one.

so far so good
By niteflite

2006 Lexus GS 300 4dr Sedan AWD (3.0L 6cyl 6A)

Have put on around 1,000 miles on the 06 300 AWD i bought used while it had 36k on it. Overall it's been ok. Not the best but decent acceleration, smooth enough braking, ride comfort however has been just average. I feel and hear all bumps.. i thought luxury cars were supposed to smooth them out for you? i think i'd take ride comfort and smoothness over the bells and whistles any day. the car feels too heavy.

rear sunshade, navigation, trip info, rear-view camera, keyless start and stop, v6 acceleration, quiet engine

better pick-up and handling, better exterior styling, better navigation system