Great car!! Beware of wheels with respect ride
By scottl66 on
2013 Lexus ES 350 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 6A)
Great car, but beware of the wheels w/ respect to the ride. Most ES' come with the standard 17" wheel and rides like a dream. Quiet and smooth. If you buy the Ultra Luxury (UL) version it comes with the 18" wheels, or you can purchase them as an option. the 18" take a low profile tire and the car rides much differently. On the highway at speed you will feel a lot of the road coming through the cabin and may hear it too. Tires can help. Get the Michelin's over the Bridgestone's regardless of wheel size. the Michelin's ride that much better! If considering the 18" wheels make sure you drive a car with them. don't drive a regular demo and think it will drive the same. learn from me :)
Favorite Features
everything. the technology, the looks, the feel, the interior, the overall is awesome and much better than previous models. i traded my 2007 in on my 2013. I love everything about the car.
Suggested Improvements
not really an improvement to mention other than understand what you're getting with the wheels and tires. As I mentioned, regardless of the wheel size, request the Michelin tire over the Brdigestone EL400. the Brodgestone's have a noisy and rougher ride. The 17" wheel takes a regular tire with a much thicker sidewall which cushions the ride more. the low profile tire on the 18's gives you practically no cushion. on a really smooth road it's no big deal, but on anything but a smooth road - look out. beware when test driving, all the demo's have the 17, and you will be shocked when you get your car with the 18's and it doesn't dribe and ride like the demo - shocked, and unhappy!
By go2guy
on 02/14/13 17:02 PM (PST)

I should add to my report that I also drove that same day an ES-350 with Bridgestone tires and 18" upgraded wheels... awful ride in comparison to both the cars with the Michelin tires. Go with the 17" factory chrome wheels [looking good!] and the Michelin Model Primacy MXV4 tires you'll be very pleased.

By rj9k
on 08/26/13 11:15 AM (PDT)

Your review explains alot. I've had my ES 350 for 2 months & have not liked the road noise & the vibrations I feel in my body from the seemingly rougher ride. We got the Ultra Luxury package. I remember the Lexus I test drove being the quietist & most comfortable of all the makes of cars I test drove & have been wondering why the car I bought did not seem the same. I've driven a much loved 1999 Oldsmobile Anniversary Edition for 14 years with Michelin tires. Hmmn. I will check into the tires on my Lexus. Otherwise, I chose this Lexus because it was the closest to being like all the features & reliability of the car I was replacing.

By rj9k
on 08/27/13 16:55 PM (PDT)

I just checked my ES 350 with the UL package: the tires ARE the Michelin tires. I hate to think how bad the ride would be if they were the Bridgestone. This is disappointing to me, to say the least.

By go2guy
on 02/14/13 16:56 PM (PST)

I bought my 2013 ES-350 about 6 weeks ago. I'll just share the wheel experience with you. I had read in several reviews about the rough ride with the Bridgestone tires vs. the Michelin tires Model Primacy MXV4 and the 18" upgrade wheels vs. the 17"". I had the dealership in Mission Viejo, CA get two ES-350 cars same equipment only difference one has the standard 17" wheels with the Michelins and the other had the 18" upgraded wheels with the Michelins; I drove them both over the same roads and the 17" wheels road at least 20% quieter and softer. I bought the ES-350 with the 17" factory chrome wheels [$1,395 after negotiations] with the Michelin Model Primacy MXV4 tires and I'm very happy with the quiet and comfy ride.