2002 Land Rover Freelander SE Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Land-rover Freelander - Consumer Reviews

2002 Freelander Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Freelander model:

Sort Reviews by

Freelander
By LRF

2002 Land Rover Freelander HSE 4dr AWD SUV (2.5L 6cyl 5A)

Just a great car

Favorite Features

Everything

Suggested Improvements

nneds more horespower

Freelander - The Best Of The Bunch
By PaulR

2002 Land Rover Freelander SE 4dr AWD SUV (2.5L 6cyl 5A)

The Freelander is truly an incredible machine. It handles like a sports car and handles off-road situations with the best of them including big brother Discovery. With 8700 miles on the odometer it's a pure pleasure to drive city or highway. Totally Satisfied!

Favorite Features

Heated Windshield CommandShift Transmission Hill Descent Control

Suggested Improvements

I've added accessories like auto-dimming mirror with temperature/compass readout & a front console armrest that I think would make either good standard features on the SE/HSE models or available as optional accessories from Land Rover. Power seats should be another consideration.

LR Freelander S
By Gylfaginning

2002 Land Rover Freelander S 4dr AWD SUV (2.5L 6cyl 5A)

A former owner of a 93' Jeep Cherokee Sport (one of the world-wide top ten, ever), I interpret the Liberty as an aesthetic offense (whatever the magazines say, "retro" was dead upon arrival). Moreoever, Chrysler dealers are Chrysler dealers; and the cheap extended warranty that they push does not compensate for the Rover's (true) warranty (with ABS [yes we know the Paul-Bunyan Off-R. excuse], etc.), build, handling, and style.

Favorite Features

Fairly-to-Great looks. Tremendous off- road capability (nearly as good as my old Cherokee). And it handles on-road much like my father's V. s40 (though it does need twenty more horses). The BMW auto- shift is a pleasure, though, again, it needs more ammunition from under the hood.

Suggested Improvements

1.5-2 inches higher; 210-220 hp; all SUVs should come equipped with roof-racks, STANDARD (forget the arm-rests, Motor Trend). Or, should all else fail, bring back the Defender!

Wish you had one?
By MandA

2002 Land Rover Freelander SE 4dr AWD SUV (2.5L 6cyl 5A)

Great vehicle, so far has been pretty reliable... it did have a computer glitch which caused the fuel gauge and descent light to malfunction, however once reset, everything was fine. Not a lot of room, but hey, it's a mini- suv! They put the Landrover looks and spirit in a vehicle that is very affordable.

Favorite Features

It's a Landrover!

Suggested Improvements

More Power... of course!

Freelander Rocks !!!
By W.Carlson

2002 Land Rover Freelander SE 4dr AWD SUV (2.5L 6cyl 5A)

My family and I are quite enamored with this car. It is the perfect size for our needs. We looked at other small SUV's and the Freelander was our favorite, HANDS DOWN ! It is great looking and a pleasure to drive. The ride is smooth and it handles superbly.( It is the perfect ski mobile). The sound system is of high quality. The car attracts a lot of attention. In summary, the Freelander is worth the money.

Favorite Features

Great looking, pleasure to drive, sun roof, comfortable seating,sound system, superb handling

Suggested Improvements

None really, except adding a front arm rest

Love This Car
By Schully

2002 Land Rover Freelander S 4dr AWD SUV (2.5L 6cyl 5A)

After reading the mixed reviews posted on this message board, I have to admit I was a little skeptical about the Freelander. However I didn't want to rule it out until I drove it. During the test drive I realized that the people leaving the bad reviews must never have driven one. The second I put the car in drive, I was in love. Ford, Mazda and Jeep should not even be in the same class. There is no way to fully explain it. All I have to say is drive one for your self. I just picked up my new one yesterday and I am very very pleased. The only negitive thing I can say is that I wish there were arm rests.

Looks good!
By Bettycat

2002 Land Rover Freelander S 4dr AWD SUV (2.5L 6cyl 5A)

Love the looks & feels good inside. A good chicks car. The driver needs an arm rest, the engine needs more power, the upgraded stereo sucks. The rear passenge windows only go down half way. ( but I do love the vehicle anyway ) Looks DO matter!

Favorite Features

Great looks

Suggested Improvements

For such poor gas mileage I would expect more acceleration.

Couldn't Be Happier
By Brad S.

2002 Land Rover Freelander S 4dr AWD SUV (2.5L 6cyl 5A)

This is a fantastic vehicle. Do not buy another small SUV without driving one! We drove the Liberty, Escape, Tribute, Xterra and nothing else came close for ride comfort, handling, fit and finish, among others. We've put only 1100 miles on it so far, but they have been trouble-free and an absolute joy.

Favorite Features

Manual shift mode transmission, sports car handling, exterior look, warranty, off-road prowess, stereo, interior cabin space.

Suggested Improvements

A little more power (My last car was a '96 M3)

Awesome Drive
By New Owner

2002 Land Rover Freelander SE 4dr AWD SUV (2.5L 6cyl 5A)

I just purchased the Land Rover Freelander after looking at all the SUV's in its class (and test driving them). Not only did I find the Freelander the best in its class, but I also found the dealership to be quite impressive. Very up-front. No cheesie sales people here! The nice sales people and no stress atmosphere is what out me over the edge in getting the Freelander. No hassles. I know another satisfied customer as well who has had one longer. I review again after I have driven it a while. But right, now, I am very impressed.

Favorite Features

Looks, the drive, the options for the money.

Suggested Improvements

Ok, maybe it needs a bigger storage compartment in between the two front seats.

Disappointing Purchase
By alias2

2002 Land Rover Freelander SE 4dr AWD SUV (2.5L 6cyl 5A)

If you are considering this purhase stop...and test drive several Landrovers. I have been stranded by my 2002 Freelander with only 2200 miles at the time. It still does not ride well. A true disappointment and bad choice for this year.

Favorite Features

None

Suggested Improvements

The acceleration does not correspond to the reving of the engine.. the transmission shifts rough and jerky between the 2nd and 3rd position.