1997 Land Rover Discovery SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Discovery model:
Hard to stop a Disco
By Plova on 03/08/13 22:35 PM (PST)

1997 Land Rover Discovery SUV SE 4dr SUV AWD

I have three Discos, one in the US and a 95 Tdi & 2002 TD5 in Europe. The 97 V8 just keeps going. Bought this one with 60K and now have 165k on it. Only repairs that have been needed are the gear shift switch (under brake - $25), starter ($180) and the large ball joint behind the hub ($600). Vehicle has been maintained but not babied. This is a real 4 x 4 and will go almost anywhere. Towing is no problem. The 4.0 litre engine is a bit underpowered in these years but it is a heavy vehicle and not a sports car. Ride is more like a truck but has a very solid feeling. Now that the 97's are getting on in years you can find some that are fairly inexpensive.

Towing Machine
By Michael McCabe on 12/16/09 08:57 AM (PST)

1997 Land Rover Discovery SUV SE 4dr SUV AWD

I bought my 97 DISCO to tow my 24' sailboat about a year ago. so far, the only thing I had to replace was the catalytic converter. The dealer wanted $700 for repairs!!! I went to a local mechanic who did just as good of a job for $150!! So dont go to the dealer. It looks great on the road, although it feels a bit top-heavy sometimes, and a ton of fun off road!! I use it sparingly, mostly for towing my 3500 lb sailboat around and it does the job very very well. Switches do go bad, but if youre looking for a fun beater, not a daily driver, this is the truck for you.

a real 4x4 not a SUV
By It's a real 4x4 on 09/13/09 22:40 PM (PDT)

1997 Land Rover Discovery SUV SD 4dr SUV AWD

I have a 1997 land rover Discovery SD the entry level model. It doesn't have a sunroof which is okay with me. The truck has a rugged frame and strong body. The discovery is built to withstand alot of abuse despite it's shiny exterior. The truck has been reliable what many fail to understand is that the truck is a rugged piece of machinery that require maintenance. but unlike many other vehicles the Discovery is a straightforward truck to own with a few tool set and time. I have a five inch lift with 34" tires on mines and it puts hummers and jeeps to shame.

Fantastic all round vehicle
By Macca on 05/03/09 18:29 PM (PDT)

1997 Land Rover Discovery SUV SE7 4dr SUV AWD

I bought mine with 100,000 kilometers on it and intended to use it as a tow vehicle for my Caravan. After the first trip, I was disappointed with the lack of power from the 3.9 V8. I took the vehicle to a performance workshop and had a "Unichip" fitted. The transformation was amazing. This Disco now flys and returns a very respectable fuel mileage.

One Amazing Tank
By Micheal Smith on 09/16/08 20:33 PM (PDT)

1997 Land Rover Discovery SUV SE 4dr SUV AWD

I am the happy second owner of a '97 Disco. All I can say about this vehicle is that it is a tank. Goes where you point it without complaint. It chews up trails, scales steep hillsides/mountainsides with ease, and carves a path in deep snow. Gas mileage is average for an SUV of this size, so if gas is a concern,look elsewhere. And on-road manners are something to be desired. In addition this is the most reliable vehicle I have ever owned. Got it with 75K and it now has over 240K on it and it's still chugging along. Granted there were repairs now and again, but in true Rover style, whatever broke or failed this truck always got me to my destination.

Land Rover lover
By terry remy on 01/12/08 06:03 AM (PST)

1997 Land Rover Discovery SUV LSE 4dr SUV AWD

Fun to drive, very responsive on and off the road. Very well built, will go just about anywhere within reason. It's a blast. I am a hunter and it will outperform most stock 4 wheel drives vehicles off road. I have not had any problems with this vehicle on or off road. I would recomend it to anyone wanting a good all around on and off road vehicle. Love my Land Rover

1997 Discovery promised and delivered
By Love the Rover idea on 06/08/07 18:01 PM (PDT)

1997 Land Rover Discovery SUV SE 4dr SUV AWD

Bought new 12/1996. Never stranded or failed to start. Oil leaks repaired free at dealer as was intake manifold gasket and retorque. EEPROM for gas gauge fixed in Canada at dealer in Vancouver. At 50,000 miles rough running due to bad O2 sensor and speed sensor. Ripped off at $1,200 for parts/labor at local San Jose independent Rover repair facility. Replaced both window regulators. Replaced fuel pump to prevent it going bad at 80,000. Always changed oil at 3,000 miles and have changed transmission oil twice, diff fluid twice, transfer case once and brake fluid twice. Now at 117,000 miles. Never changed water pump or alternator as did not go bad yet. All in all, super value for the buck.

Great DISCO
By David on 04/13/07 11:24 AM (PDT)

1997 Land Rover Discovery SUV SD 4dr SUV AWD

I purchased the disco back in 99 for my wife. It had 40k on it. This disco is an SD7 rare. Black non-leather. No major issues only the power door track for driver and passenger door keep braking. Land Rover's design for the track is plastic rollers that break. The rear windows donít work. I believe switch issue. Thatís it I have 193K on this bad boy. Starts every time. The disco leaked oil at 50k. If you can get past oil leaks you will love this SUV. If not don't buy. Still rides great.

Interesting 2nd car (truck)
By 2ndcar on 03/07/07 15:35 PM (PST)

1997 Land Rover Discovery SUV SE 4dr SUV AWD

bought my 1997 Discovery in February 2007 with 99k on it for $3800 from a charity auction on Ebay. The rear view mirror has a little burn out mark on it; the rear window controls from the front seat aren't working; and the spare tire cover was broken off. Oh well. I bought the Land Rover Discovery so I could get through snow and rain when my rear wheel drive Lexus would have problems. I also got it so I could bring my bike and all the beach stuff to the beach. My wife didn't want a pickup at the house and the Discovery is perfect! It feels like a truck, I can tow stuff if I need to, and it is strong enough to cart anything inside or outside the vehicle. The Discovery's will run a good 200k

Understand a Land Rover
By John on 11/03/06 09:19 AM (PST)

1997 Land Rover Discovery SUV SE 4dr SUV AWD

LR gets a bad rap because often people treat them like Hondas. I have owned the car since the showroom floor- going on 10 years, 125K now. The key is just changing the fluids every 3,000 miles no exception. I have had less problems on this car then my wife's ford over the same period of time. People often forget that LR have problems because the car will stick around for 15 years. Other cars aren't even around to have these problems- for example try to find an explorer or even a 4runner 15 years old!

1 2 3 4 5 next »