2005 Kia Sorento SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Sorento model:
Don't buy a Kia!!!!!
By maureen26 on 04/08/14 05:52 AM (PDT)

2005 Kia Sorento SUV LX 4WD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I bought my Kia used. So of course the 100,000 mile warranty was not valid. I have poured so much money into this vehicle over the 3 years I've owned it. I maintain it properly, oil changes, new tires, etc. Well, I just found out the entire rear axle and differential completely rusted/rotted away to nothing. The only thing holding up the car was a shock! I truly believe this car was made poorly with cheap metal. Kia will not help me or stand behind the cars they build. When replacing the rear axle the mechanic found a part that was manufactured wrong in the factory and put on backwards. Again, KIA stands behind nothing! I could have purchased a rental car with all of the times I've had one.

Top Notch!
By joatrades on 03/20/12 08:09 AM (PDT)

2005 Kia Sorento SUV LX Rwd 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I bought my Sorento used in '06 with 12,000 miles on it. Now have 89K. Love the fact that it is a true 4x4! The rear end is just like a truck, unlike most newer SUVs (including the '12 Sorento!) Never had issues with lights but brakes are below par as is the sheet metal (thin), fuel economy is not great either. Paint, A/C engine, & tranny all are top notch. Very reliable & would buy another '05 or '06.

Great Car!!!
By ma1kohler on 10/22/11 17:16 PM (PDT)

2005 Kia Sorento SUV LX 4WD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

We bought our Sorento new in 05 and it just turned 120K miles. The best vehicle I have ever owned. Other than the 2 dozen or so headlights the Sorento has never been to the shop, ever. We are getting ready to buy a new 2012 Sorento and can't wait.

3 Strikes and the Kia is out!!!!!
By mdacosta on 10/04/11 19:25 PM (PDT)

2005 Kia Sorento SUV LX 4WD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Can't believe it my kia has to go back for the third time for crank polly bolt that keeps breaking off!!!! With bad service and bad attitude from there service department!!! With all the light bulbs going out at different times of the week and A/C stop working after the first year and no body knows why.... Heater never gets hot enough in cold winter weather here in Canada, I have to wear extra clothes to keep warm. Battery always needs a boost. Paint chips off. Do yourself a favor and DON'T BUY A KIA!!!!! You're better off walking, mine leaves me stranded.....

ELECTRICAL PROBLEMS
By avengers2 on 06/05/11 14:52 PM (PDT)

2005 Kia Sorento SUV LX Rwd 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Bought new in 05. Engine light came on when I got home from the dealer. Sensor out. Head lights go out about every 4 months. The back windshield wiper blade runs for about 5 minutes every time you start the car. I had the car checked out. They said I have 3 electrical problems. The air conditioner went out 2 years ago.

Like a rock!
By drblptq on 03/26/11 10:48 AM (PDT)

2005 Kia Sorento SUV EX 4WD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I owned this for three years, bought new, as a work vehicle. This has to be the the heaviest build small suv I have ever driven. Although there were numerous trips to the shop under warranty all was taken care of efficiently with little fuss. The gas mileage is abysmal, at 15 city and 20 highway, but built like a tank. I was rear ended at 50,000 miles and all I had was a cracked bumper cover! The honda that hit me was totalled. The car never let me down, and honestly I have been considering buying a used one as a second vehicle for my wife.

Excellent Buy & Very Pleasant SUV!!
By kandeemann2001 on 02/22/11 01:35 AM (PST)

2005 Kia Sorento SUV EX 4WD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I purchased used in Dec '10 w/ 50,000 miles. 2 months and 5,000 miles later, not a single problem and absolutely a pleasure to drive! I upgraded from an '00 Sportage, so I'm LOVING all the extra space, extra comfort and extra POWER from the Sorento. Seats are unquestionably the most comfortable i've ever sat in, power is MORE than enough than i'll probably ever need, and there's a ton of space, both for passengers and cargo. I park next to plenty of the newer mid-sizers at work (Highlanders, Pilots, XC90s, etc.) and it looks just as stylish. Mine is white with the beige interior and gold cladding - VERY NICE! Steering is light and easy to handle. Super comfy ride to work and school everyday.

Great SUV!
By BSeverson on 11/13/10 00:00 AM (PST)

2005 Kia Sorento SUV LX 4WD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I bought my Kia used in 2007. I had never even driven a Kia before this one and was a little uneasy about buying one. Turns out its one of the best cars I have ever owned. Perfect size for the family(wife and two kids). With good storage in the back and a decent roof rack. Love that it has full size tires and not the barbie doll ones like on the Sportage. Okay the wife is out of the room now, let me tell you what I really think! This car is beast! I live in Colorado where it can snow pretty good and when you put this thing in 4x4 and mash the pedal it can take you places. I'm talking 4 ft tall drifts sometimes 20 ft across and this KIA got me across them. I have proof the car can take a beating.

Don't buy a Kia
By wendy on 11/11/10 00:00 AM (PST)

2005 Kia Sorento SUV EX 4WD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

We bought a brand new 2005 Sorento and loved it. Within the first year, the brakes and rooters were replaced. The dealership replaced them 4 times, at our expense, then we took it to another mechanic and since then they have been fine. The motor has been replaced twice and is now at the dealership again after it just died in the middle of the road, and my husband and I had to push it off the road. We've replaced every light in the car numerous times, at least 3-4 times a year. It's been in for oil leaks at least 3 times. The paint started chipping within the first year. I'll never ever buy another Kia.

Second Sorento 90k miles Strong
By Brian on 10/22/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2005 Kia Sorento SUV EX Rwd 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Great reliable vehicle. It's my second Sorento and third kia so far. I drive many miles to work so I first bought a Kia because of the low price, now I buy because of the quality. So far I've had no mechanical failures, but my shocks and struts are getting weaker. Of the two Sorentos I've owned, the first one did have the issue with head lights going before their time. This one has been OK so far though in regards to that problem. My first Sorento was bought used as well and was a 2004 EX v6 model. It was also very reliable but got totaled in an accident so I had to buy my 05 to replace it. By the way the car held up well in the crash and was still drivable afterward.