1999 Kia Sephia Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Sephia model:
This car is A lemon from day one !
By troy49 on 06/09/11 23:49 PM (PDT)

1999 Kia Sephia Sedan 4dr Sedan

I originally brought a 1998 Kia Sephia, that car was even worse then the 1999 it was taken back by Kia after a five month long fight with them. Let me first start with this fact, the 1998 Kia Sephia is the same as the 1999. The 1999 uses all the same parts, all the parts are dated on the 1999, 1998. Event the engine and the body of the car were made in 1998. The first problem with the care was in all of the electrical connections. A monkey with a soldering iron could have done a better job at soldering the connections. All of the electrical connections on the car needed to be re-soldered, the wiring harness needed to be replaced, The car has broke piece by piece costing more the it was worth

Cheap but surprisingly reliable
By Kalev on 10/28/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Kia Sephia Sedan 4dr Sedan

This has been the most basic of basic cars: no A.C., manual windows and locks, and no power steering with the manual stick. Mechanically, other than routine maintenance, very little has gone wrong with this car in 12 years and 140,000 miles. I've been through 3 starters and had to replace both the front left and front right axles (totaling about $800 for both, including labor charges). Even now, the engine is still going strong and burns little-to-no oil between changes. Given its age and mileage, I've been somewhat surprised at its reliability. Cosmetically, the interior dash has curled around the air-vents (common problem), and the paint is beginning to peel on the front bumper.

Not a bad car
By daritari on 08/10/09 20:06 PM (PDT)

1999 Kia Sephia Sedan 4dr Sedan

I really don't understand why everyone has so many issues with these cars. I've had mine for four years, and it still runs and drives great. No fluid leaks. Engine is clean. I have had the problem with the rolling dash by the vents, and some of the interior plastics have taken a beating. The biggest issue I have had is with the exhaust. I have had to replace the front catalytic converter twice because of it breaking off directly below it. The second time was due to poor service by the shop I had it fixed at originally. These cars are nice little machines, if you take care of them. Run Synthetic oil and make sure you change it regularly. Maintenance cannot be passed over.

Too many flaws, cheaply made
By Carbuyer101 on 10/28/08 05:53 AM (PDT)

1999 Kia Sephia Sedan 4dr Sedan

I've owned one since '99. Needs too many major repairs from $300 to $600 a pop for a cheap car. Put a $600 "precat", before that cost me $300 to get the lighting system fixed. Something else was wrong and it cost me a fortune (I've since forgotten exactly what) Now the fuel system is clogged and messed up for the 2nd time. The dash warped under the hot sun. Doors freeze solid in winter. Uncomfortable back seats. I would skip Kia brands. They are poorly made and you suffer with the major repair cost. Lousy stereo/cassette system.

Worst Car we have ever owned.
By Ady on 10/15/08 15:48 PM (PDT)

1999 Kia Sephia Sedan 4dr Sedan

This is the 8th vehicle we have owned in 12 years. It has been awful. OD light is on, won't shift properly, replaced battery 3 times in 2 years, needs new CV joint and fuel filter, replacing simple spark plugs took 3 hours for trained mechanic, Glove compartment won't open, dash rolls up around vents, the carpet shreds in floor board, speedometer does not work, does not track mileage accurately, wiring is messed up, air has never worked right, we have spent thousands of dollars replacing parts, and we started replacing them at 50,000 miles. I have never had so many problems. I have not even listed everything we have had to fix. Don't buy a Kia. Parts are expensive.

it's reliable despite some issues
By mike a on 09/21/08 14:57 PM (PDT)

1999 Kia Sephia Sedan LS 4dr Sedan

I purchased this car from a friend at the dealership used and so far this is the most reliable car I owned. The check engine loves to stay on no matter what you try to fix. I've had the transmission problems and all but just replaced a sensor and seems to work for now. I've had bad luck with cars but this is the best car I've ever had. It will get you from point a to point b. It's a budget car for sure. You get what you pay for. Cheap body as well wouldn't hold up in a crash

Cheap car, Good value
By Ling on 02/14/07 19:19 PM (PST)

1999 Kia Sephia Sedan 4dr Sedan

For the money spent on this car, it's worth every penny. It indeed is a "cheap" car. Manual tranny replaced at 33k although the stick shifts nicely. Door rubber seal fell off at 30k, center box lock broken. Leatherette tranny cover ages and cracks. Seats too low for short driver. Body is easy to scratch and dent. Paint fell off from passenger side mirror base. Front light is weak. Fancy back lights. Trunk spare tire cover (paper) bends down. No power steering is a pain at parking lot and for parallel parking. A/C is always strong as new. A lot of noise on highway. Overall it's an economical car for a student. Would last long if taken good care of.

Not recommended
By raymr on 12/07/06 12:17 PM (PST)

1999 Kia Sephia Sedan LS 4dr Sedan

If you really baby this car, it might reach 100K miles. During the first week, a rear shock dumped its contents on the driveway. We have had almost all the mentioned problems - dashboard curling up, door seals falling off like spaghetti, cracking and disintegrating interior plastics, blown door speakers, and of course the brakes. The metal is very thin or soft, so most of these cars now look like they were used on a target range. The seat fabric sometimes leaches something brownish from the foam below and is hard to clean. The drivers seat has a big mysterious letter "R" outlined on the lower cushion. At 71K miles now, the car is pretty much shot.

Kia?
By grammylorrie on 09/10/06 09:46 AM (PDT)

1999 Kia Sephia Sedan 4dr Sedan

I purchased a 1999 Kia in 1999. I have had nothing but trouble with it and would never buy another one. I had a crash at 50mph and the airbags never deployed!

It is an economy car
By Michelle on 06/01/06 14:28 PM (PDT)

1999 Kia Sephia Sedan 4dr Sedan

I bought my Kia in February of this year. I needed to get a vehicle with better gas mileage (I was driving a Explorer). I really enjoy the fuel economy but the vehicle is a very lightweight vehicle, not sure what would happen in a accident. If treated well these cars will last but you can't beat on them that is for sure. I would not put a teen in them; they may not last ( I have a 17 year old). He would destroy this vehicle not avoiding potholes etc. The one thing that has already needed to be replaced is the brakes. They go through brakes quickly, not sure why. I am already trading it in for a Mazda B2300. I don't believe it would last with my family long term.