1997 Kia Sephia Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Sephia model:
reliable transportation
By Mbrown602 on 02/15/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1997 Kia Sephia Sedan LS 4dr Sedan

I know these Kias have gotten a bad rap, but my has been very reliable since I bought it new 7 years ago. When it was still under warranty I had the typical brake problems but then Kia came out with better brake pads and that was it. I have taken this on numerous trips and do a lot of driving for my job and it never lets me down.

A mixture of good, bad, and ugly.
By lawyr2b on 06/07/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Kia Sephia Sedan RS 4dr Sedan

No major breakdowns; overall high reliability but at 70k miles, it is starting to fall apart at the seams! The interior build quality is absolute crap and the interior materials are highly substandard. My dashboard is BURNED from the sun and severely warped (has completely come unglued from the windshield side and has a huge warped bulge). Repeated brake problems that still have not been adequately remedied after taking the car in more than 10 times for service on this problem alone! The air conditioner has been completely out since about a month after the warranty covering it expired (go figure).

The reason for aspirin invention.
By Rs driver on 04/28/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Kia Sephia Sedan RS 4dr Sedan

I bought this let's call it a car April 5 01. After a week something went wrong and the *Check Engine* sign came up. It is still there.After two months the left rear tire blew up. I changed the whole set of tires. And then I don't remember when but the car started dying on the road. When I make right or left turn, it makes an annoying noise. I had my good times and bad times with this car. I live in Denver Colorado. One day driving to the mountains I raced a ford escourt and I passed him like a bullet. The car runs good but too many engine problems.

better than what has been described
By TWKEEL on 01/14/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1997 Kia Sephia Sedan RS 4dr Sedan

Initially I had some "kinks" that had to be worked out of my Kia. But after rectifying a repetitive brake problem and replacing a set of spark plug wires (that for some reason the dealerships never checked when the car would shutter and die) my lil blue meanie( I have a blue Kia) has been a very reliable vehicle. I have taken it cross country a number of times and am now well passed 100K. I am sure if I kept this car it would zip along for at least another 50-100K miles.

HOPE YOU HAVE A CELL PHONE!
By WATCH OUT! on 12/16/02 00:00 AM (PST)

1997 Kia Sephia Sedan RS 4dr Sedan

I bought this car in March of this year. It has been in the shop every month since then. The car constantly stalls & shuts off. Have had multiple O2 sensors replaced, catalit convertor, not to mention the whole computer as well. Thank God it was still under WTY. Not a good car to have if you don't have spare time to be sitting in the shop & getting rentals.

Great car
By Jonathan Plummer on 08/26/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Kia Sephia Sedan GS 4dr Sedan

For the past four years,the only times when this car lets me down is when I dont do my required sevice checks.

My Kia was as good as my Civic
By skymax on 08/19/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Kia Sephia Sedan LS 4dr Sedan

Kia got a bad rap. They are now on track to becoming one of the top 5 automakers in the world.

I Have Been Very Pleased With My Kias
By zyxw on 08/15/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Kia Sephia Sedan GS 4dr Sedan

I was sorry to see that some of the other Kia owners have not had as good as an experience as I have had. I was a little nervous about buying a Kia Sephia in April, 1998, because they were just being introduced to my area of the country, and I seldom saw any others on the road (I see lots of them now). I liked my first Kia well enough to buy a second Kia two years later, and both have been reliable so far (one has about 59,000 miles and the other has about 19,000 miles). Hopefully they will continue to be reliable as their mileage increases.

Think twice before purchasing any KIA!!
By kiabites on 05/13/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Kia Sephia Sedan LS 4dr Sedan

In my opinion, PURCHASE the extended waranty. You will need it. Kia's alternator is timed precicely to fail on you at 30,000 miles. Then is garunteed to break down on you every six months, need it or not.

Can you say junk
By Tim G on 04/28/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Kia Sephia Sedan RS 4dr Sedan

Well not totally The car stales all the time when the temp and humidity goes up and the dealer got me on a technicality that it was over 12,000 miles the first time I took it in. It was 12,105 miles. I just found out by the police that my speedo is off by 5 miles an hour, which makes me wonder...is my odometer off too? And if so that means that Kia stiffed me out of a car. That was in 98 I guess I am still bitter about it.