Used 1997 Kia Sephia Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1997 Kia Sephia Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Sephia model:

Good build quality, lousy materials
By Ben Dare

1997 Kia Sephia Sedan LS 4dr Sedan

The sign in the Toyota dealership said, "You pay twice for poor quality. Once in repairs and again in resale." How true. This Kia really seemed like a great car. It was faster and felt more substantial than a Civic or Corolla, but that was when it was new. I've never had spark plug wires burn up, or disk disks warp, or dashboards completely rupture. The engine seems OK, but it coughs up oil frequently. All the emission control components have had to be replaced. Meanwhile, I've bought a 1992 Honda Civic which has twice the mileage (230,000) and is worth twice as much. So long Kia!

Build quality. Really felt good when new. Engine power, ride comfort, especially back seat. Elegant design and appearance for an economy car.

Better quality materials - it's that simple. Other cars don't warp their brake disks, spark plug wires, or have their dashboards rupture. The only design problem was the front headroom, but then it was my wife's car anyway and now it's my daughters to drive and mine to maintain.

I love My KIA
By Red

1997 Kia Sephia Sedan LS 4dr Sedan

I bought my Kia with 6,800 miles on it, now I have over 115,000 on it. I have had no issues with the car; replaced plugs, wires, water pump, alternator, 2 sets of CV's on each side, but had no out of the ordinary things go wrong. I have driven it half way across country about 7 times. It has never failed me, never left me stranded. The more I drive it the better it gets. I heard all the bad things about the car, but I guess I got lucky.

The power from a 1.6 liter 4 banger is impressive, the 60/40 rear seat is nice, I have carried 4X8 sheets of sheet rock in it, easy to work on sometimes, I love this car and plan on keeping it till it is to cost prohibitive to fix.

Car is 8 years old and no longer made so I can't think of anything for this, so I will say I re-painted mine sub-lime green, added a 1.5 inch drop, green under car lighting, plan for a nice stereo, and some 16 inch rims, and I LOVE MY KIA!

My Sapphi
By E

1997 Kia Sephia Sedan LS 4dr Sedan

This was a great 2nd car and if I hadn't hurt it so badly it would have carried me all the way through college. It's peppy, moves when you ask it to. Is great for road tripping if you don't mind the lack of cruise control & got good gas milage. It did have it's problems but the car was overall, easy to own. It had smooth shifting and a quiet engine. It was easy to work on as long as you could find the parts. I feel like I got a great value for what I paid for the car.

The blank buttons on the center console (could be randomly designated as "flame thrower" etc.) Excellent sound on the factory speakers, roomy and sturdy feeling. Good A/C, great warm toasty heat, good defrosters.

Different interior lock style.

good value, nagging problems
By spudpapa

1997 Kia Sephia Sedan RS 4dr Sedan

developed idling problem while under warranty. When idling, it goes between not enough and too much gas-runs fine when moving, but dies at stop. I increase idle speed to keep from dying. the prob lasts few days-then goes away a month-then back, etc. Dealer replaced sensor 3 diff. times but only lasted a few days, so I gave up. I mostly put up with it. its a pleasure to drive, handles well in mountains, snow, curves, etc. It's now got over 150,000 miles, and still running strong. no unexpected maintenance (except Idle prob) never not started or left me stranded. Interior shows wear, but good for miles and use. Certainly got my $7500 worth.

Value, accelleration, handling, reliable transportation

cup holders broke, local dealer doesn't know how to fix (also sells Toyota and VW, and his people just don't know the Kia)

My Work Car, the 97 Sephia R.S.
By A. Cook

1997 Kia Sephia Sedan RS 4dr Sedan

This car, for what it cost me and for the way it was designed , wasnt a bad buy.It is easy on gas and tires. The front wheel drive is a god send in the snow and ice. I have had some problems with a sensor going out . Expensive sensor, 310 $ plus labor ! The local dealer wasnt real helpful fixing it and i had to take it to an independent shop. They had it diagnosed in 45 minutes, whereas the dealer couldnt or wouldnt tell me what was wrong with it in 3 seperate trips. Go figure that !

Fuel Economy pretty good. Zippy engine for its size. You are going 85 on the freeway before you know it. The wheel alignment seems stable and the tires wear evenly. Pretty reliable even when some of the sensor, computer glitches occured. I wasnt stranded anywhere.

The improvements have been made in subsequent years, newer models etc. I am currently looking in to the Sorrento SUV to buy this year sometime. I think when KIA teamed up with Hyundai consumers