2013 Kia Optima LX Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2013 Kia Optima - Consumer Reviews

2013 Optima Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Optima model:

Sort Reviews by

Issues to watch out for;
By mabstoa

2013 Kia Optima Sedan EX 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

Very good looking car but after 1200 miles I am now on my 6th tank of gas, mpg is about 13-15 in the city and 18-20 on the road. Dealer says wait until after 3500 miles for an improvement. Huge blind spots by rear quarters and both windshield pilars by the sideview mirrors, careful on turns with people crossing!! Wonders/drifts all over the road and constantly correcting for it, makes for a tiring drive. Kia knows about this but... Can not get comfortable in the seats. Very disappointed and lost a day from work due to a flat tire with no spare. Make sure you get the tire insurance policy, you need it. Very hard ride, not a road trip car!! Recommend renting one before you buy it!!!

Favorite Features

Very good looking car, inside and out. Very responsive car to acceleration and turning. Thats about all I can say good about the car!!

Suggested Improvements

Must come with a spare tire and not have it as a $200 kit option. Must correct the wondering and drifting issues like Hyundai did on their models. Must post correct MPG or deliver on the expectations. This car doesn't even come close to the posted MPG. Sorrento owners were offered a rebate paid to them for life for the same poor MPG issues, so you know it is an issue. Seat cushions need to be more comfortable or padded more on the lower cushion. The blind spots are danagerous, maybe put the little window by the sideview mirrors like the Rio model has, anything would help!!

HORRIBLE MPG FOR A 4CYL
By padriver1979

2013 Kia Optima Sedan LX 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

I purchased my 2013 Kia Optima LX in September 2012 at my nearby Pittsburgh Kia dealership. We chose an Optima because of the exterior design and great EPA MPG rating of 24/35. It surprised me that these numbers were better than my 2009 Ford Focus which were 24/32. After 3500 miles I have yet to see more than 20.1 mpg on a full tank of gas. Granted, my commute to work is 10 miles through the city but shouldn't this balance out with the highway miles to give me more than 20.1? Mostly highway miles (75%) gets about 26-27 mpg. A far cry from the 24/35 that the EPA issued for this vehicle. I hope that the 2013 Optima is reviewed by the EPA just like other KIA vehicles recently.

Favorite Features

Nice looking car inside and out.

Suggested Improvements

Better fuel economy or the EPA needs to review the vehicle and lower the rating.

Wow... Kia
By mariod

2013 Kia Optima Sedan SX 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

I have been a Honda owner for the past 12 years, various models... my last was a 09 accord. I can NOT tell you enough times, these two cars don't even compare! Looks and overall performance... Great car! and looks awesome!

Favorite Features

Quite ride, speed is there when needed, feels solid. glass roof. great music system and UVO works great

Suggested Improvements

Passenger seat need a height adjustment.

Initial Review
By whitfoc

2013 Kia Optima Sedan EX 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

Very impressive car for the money. Just bought a snow white/beige with premium and tech package. Took on a 500 mile trip over the weekend with two heavy suitcases, Two adults and averaged 33 mpg traveling at 70 mph. While the engine is extremely quiet, there is some tire noise but not excessive. Ride is compliant and comfortable. Could not justify the extra $5000 for an SX. Overall a good buy for the $30K and under price range.

Favorite Features

Feature content (Vent seats, pan roof, heated steering wheel, intuitive navi), styling (designer came from Audi), materials and build quality (feels like a more expensive car), lengthy warranty!, steering wheel feel, VERY comfortable seats, large center console and cup holders, power folding mirrors.

Suggested Improvements

I agree with previous reviews the passenger seat does sit low so height adjustable seat would solve this, lack of spare and jack, rain sensing wipers should come on EX with Tech and Premium packages, headlights should come on when wipers are turned on, mirrors do not have smaller blind spot mirror like on our Fusion and post 2012 Focus (traded that for Optima). Learning the trip computer buttons using the "trip" and "reset" buttons will take some getting used to; I'd prefer an up or down arrow set up. Would be nice to be able to change climate control settings using voice activation but didn't use that too much in previous cars. Find the door bins on the small side.

Good car but 35 mpg highway is a joke
By volki1

2013 Kia Optima Sedan EX 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

I bought the car in September this year, a 2013 EX with the Premium Package. First I was going for the Hybrid but during the test drive the car felt "heavy". I drive a Ford Focus Hybrid occasionally between offices and the Optima Hybrid just felt like a bigger and heavier car in comparison. For the money I spent, the car offers features unmatched in this class and for this price. The problem however is the gas mileage. I drive about 90% highway to work with cruise control set as often as possible and at speeds of 50 - 55 mph. And after over 6,000 miles I still do not get anywhere near the 35 mpg highway. Usually I do get below 30 mpg. If you want a fuel efficient car, look somewhere else!

Favorite Features

Cooled seats, heated steering wheel, rearview camera

Suggested Improvements

Admitting that the 35 mpg Highway is only possible rolling downhill with the wind in your back would go a long way. This is my first and also the last Kia I ever bought!

Amazing car, amazing price
By psyclopps

2013 Kia Optima Sedan SX 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

After test driving the 2013 Mazda CX-5, 2013 Ford Fusion hybrid and coming from a 2010 Nissan Maxima (fully equipped), my wife and I settled on the 2013 Kia Optima after our Maxima's lease expired. For the price, (30k even after negotiation) on a fully equipped SX, we received what feels like a better car than our Nissan. The interior is a little more tame and slightly lower quality, but it is loaded with more features, better styling and very similar performance with much better mileage. I love the option for an 'ECO' mode which improves mileage at the cost of performance. Gas prices were a factor but we did not want to give up fun. This seemed to be a perfect match.

Favorite Features

Both front seats cooled/heated, heated REAR seats. turbo performance, touch screen responsiveness/ease of use, comfortable seats, AMAZING STYLING

Suggested Improvements

A few hard plastics inside, ECO mode sometimes feels a bit too weak, I miss the heated steering wheel from my Maxima, driver seat memory does not include mirror position memory

Engine trouble
By sjh12

2013 Kia Optima Sedan EX 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

Bought this car as college graduation gift for my son. Drove it from Midwest to west coast to begin a job in a new city. Across country, engine light comes on and now needs to be in for service 3 days. This should NOT happen with a brand new car. Starting a new job and needing to get car in for service in a new city is a HUGE hassle. Wish we had bought something else.

Optima EX shortcomings
By altair47

2013 Kia Optima Sedan EX 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

Car was delivered with a half tank of fuel and empty winshield washer fluid tank. The passenger seat is extremely low, my wife feels like she is sitting on the floor and there is no adjustment up or down? Dealer was not very friendly or helpful. The sales managers personal car was a new Ferrari and he had it parked right in front where all Kia customers had to walk by. Did not look good for KIA.

Favorite Features

Rear camera, Audio system, hands free phone, styling, paint color (bronze). Heated rear seats, Heated/Cooled front seats.

Suggested Improvements

Be able to open roof sun shade front or back only. The way it is now you have to open both at the same time(it's on a roller). Give power passenger seat up and down controls. Black grille material too shiny, looks cheap. better quality tires would be an improvement. There should bre at least (one) power outlet that stays on when car is turned off. Add donut spare (had to buy my own). LED running lights on all models.

You don't get a jack or spare tire!!!
By racorbett

2013 Kia Optima Sedan SX 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

I just bought a new Kia on Saturday and looking in the truck, there was no spare tire or jack. Dealer did not tell me at sale that no jack or spared came with the car. I found out by looking in the trunk yesterday. I call Kia and they confirm that car does not come with jack or spare. Just a puny tire pump and sealant kit. That is crap. If I had know it didn't come with one, I would either have negotiated or paid the approximate $250.00 for it. Anyway, has to take time out to go back to dealer for it, some 1-1/2 hours wasted. I guess Kia doesn't care that customers may find out the hard way. This situation made what appeared to be a good experience a lousy one.

Suggested Improvements

Put a spare tire and jack in at the factory and include in the price. Even though the car seems good, I would probably not recommend others to buy, unless they think a new car does not need a jack and spare and paying extra for it is ok.

2012 EX Amazing
By jerryk007

2013 Kia Optima Sedan EX 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

The Optima EX sedan is an amazing value automobile that I cannot still believe that this vehicle can be built for the cost! Great style; excellent interior design; dash assembly perfectly fit and easy to read; great leg room in rear and front; superior fit and finish for a mid sized sedan. Quiet ride-Yes-acceleration of a V6 in an in-line 4 YES! Changed oil to synthetic. I would highly recommend as one of "the" best in its' class!

Favorite Features

Dashboard layout-Excellent Steering wheel controls - great and lit too! Creature features aplenty for the cost. Exterior styling-Classic and will last as opposed to Sonata. Leather upholstery is exceptional in this class.

Suggested Improvements

Needs a "real spare tire". Better "passenger seat" adjustments. Rear view from drivers perspective needs improvement. Fold down Rear seating for more trunk space when needed. (plenty big for most)