2013 Kia Optima Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Optima model:
Issues to watch out for;
By mabstoa on 01/31/13 18:19 PM (PST)

2013 Kia Optima Sedan EX 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

Very good looking car but after 1200 miles I am now on my 6th tank of gas, mpg is about 13-15 in the city and 18-20 on the road. Dealer says wait until after 3500 miles for an improvement. Huge blind spots by rear quarters and both windshield pilars by the sideview mirrors, careful on turns with people crossing!! Wonders/drifts all over the road and constantly correcting for it, makes for a tiring drive. Kia knows about this but... Can not get comfortable in the seats. Very disappointed and lost a day from work due to a flat tire with no spare. Make sure you get the tire insurance policy, you need it. Very hard ride, not a road trip car!! Recommend renting one before you buy it!!!

HORRIBLE MPG FOR A 4CYL
By padriver1979 on 01/23/13 09:03 AM (PST)

2013 Kia Optima Sedan LX 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

I purchased my 2013 Kia Optima LX in September 2012 at my nearby Pittsburgh Kia dealership. We chose an Optima because of the exterior design and great EPA MPG rating of 24/35. It surprised me that these numbers were better than my 2009 Ford Focus which were 24/32. After 3500 miles I have yet to see more than 20.1 mpg on a full tank of gas. Granted, my commute to work is 10 miles through the city but shouldn't this balance out with the highway miles to give me more than 20.1? Mostly highway miles (75%) gets about 26-27 mpg. A far cry from the 24/35 that the EPA issued for this vehicle. I hope that the 2013 Optima is reviewed by the EPA just like other KIA vehicles recently.

Wow... Kia
By mariod on 01/19/13 04:32 AM (PST)

2013 Kia Optima Sedan SX 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

I have been a Honda owner for the past 12 years, various models... my last was a 09 accord. I can NOT tell you enough times, these two cars don't even compare! Looks and overall performance... Great car! and looks awesome!

Initial Review
By whitfoc on 01/04/13 19:00 PM (PST)

2013 Kia Optima Sedan EX 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

Very impressive car for the money. Just bought a snow white/beige with premium and tech package. Took on a 500 mile trip over the weekend with two heavy suitcases, Two adults and averaged 33 mpg traveling at 70 mph. While the engine is extremely quiet, there is some tire noise but not excessive. Ride is compliant and comfortable. Could not justify the extra $5000 for an SX. Overall a good buy for the $30K and under price range.

Good car but 35 mpg highway is a joke
By volki1 on 12/18/12 19:27 PM (PST)

2013 Kia Optima Sedan EX 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

I bought the car in September this year, a 2013 EX with the Premium Package. First I was going for the Hybrid but during the test drive the car felt "heavy". I drive a Ford Focus Hybrid occasionally between offices and the Optima Hybrid just felt like a bigger and heavier car in comparison. For the money I spent, the car offers features unmatched in this class and for this price. The problem however is the gas mileage. I drive about 90% highway to work with cruise control set as often as possible and at speeds of 50 - 55 mph. And after over 6,000 miles I still do not get anywhere near the 35 mpg highway. Usually I do get below 30 mpg. If you want a fuel efficient car, look somewhere else!

Amazing car, amazing price
By psyclopps on 11/27/12 09:55 AM (PST)

2013 Kia Optima Sedan SX 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

After test driving the 2013 Mazda CX-5, 2013 Ford Fusion hybrid and coming from a 2010 Nissan Maxima (fully equipped), my wife and I settled on the 2013 Kia Optima after our Maxima's lease expired. For the price, (30k even after negotiation) on a fully equipped SX, we received what feels like a better car than our Nissan. The interior is a little more tame and slightly lower quality, but it is loaded with more features, better styling and very similar performance with much better mileage. I love the option for an 'ECO' mode which improves mileage at the cost of performance. Gas prices were a factor but we did not want to give up fun. This seemed to be a perfect match.

Engine trouble
By sjh12 on 10/15/12 14:03 PM (PDT)

2013 Kia Optima Sedan EX 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

Bought this car as college graduation gift for my son. Drove it from Midwest to west coast to begin a job in a new city. Across country, engine light comes on and now needs to be in for service 3 days. This should NOT happen with a brand new car. Starting a new job and needing to get car in for service in a new city is a HUGE hassle. Wish we had bought something else.

Optima EX shortcomings
By altair47 on 09/29/12 06:00 AM (PDT)

2013 Kia Optima Sedan EX 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

Car was delivered with a half tank of fuel and empty winshield washer fluid tank. The passenger seat is extremely low, my wife feels like she is sitting on the floor and there is no adjustment up or down? Dealer was not very friendly or helpful. The sales managers personal car was a new Ferrari and he had it parked right in front where all Kia customers had to walk by. Did not look good for KIA.

You don't get a jack or spare tire!!!
By racorbett on 09/24/12 10:44 AM (PDT)

2013 Kia Optima Sedan SX 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

I just bought a new Kia on Saturday and looking in the truck, there was no spare tire or jack. Dealer did not tell me at sale that no jack or spared came with the car. I found out by looking in the trunk yesterday. I call Kia and they confirm that car does not come with jack or spare. Just a puny tire pump and sealant kit. That is crap. If I had know it didn't come with one, I would either have negotiated or paid the approximate $250.00 for it. Anyway, has to take time out to go back to dealer for it, some 1-1/2 hours wasted. I guess Kia doesn't care that customers may find out the hard way. This situation made what appeared to be a good experience a lousy one.

2012 EX Amazing
By jerryk007 on 09/10/12 10:05 AM (PDT)

2013 Kia Optima Sedan EX 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

The Optima EX sedan is an amazing value automobile that I cannot still believe that this vehicle can be built for the cost! Great style; excellent interior design; dash assembly perfectly fit and easy to read; great leg room in rear and front; superior fit and finish for a mid sized sedan. Quiet ride-Yes-acceleration of a V6 in an in-line 4 YES! Changed oil to synthetic. I would highly recommend as one of "the" best in its' class!

The Edmunds TCO® estimated monthly insurance payment for a 2013 Kia Optima Sedan in VA is:

$161 per month*