2013 Kia Optima Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Optima model:
Refined Luxury with a sporty overtone
By boesman1 on 07/07/13 10:02 AM (PDT)

2013 Kia Optima Sedan SX 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

Coming out of a 2007 Mazda CX7 GT, I was leaning hard towards a 2014 Mazda6. In my due diligence, I looked at the 2013 Optima which really caught my eye with its beauty. After test driving the SXL w/turbo there was no comparison. With 3k in incentives it was comparable to the Mazda, yet blew it away in creature comforts and luxury. I've had the car for about a week and have no regrets. Having had BMW's, Infinity's and a corvette I can honestly say this car is the nicest I ever owned. Performance is nothing less than amazing with the smoothest power-band I've ever experienced, especially considering the turbo. Comfort and value are second to none. Fun factor remains to be seen as I adjust.

Can a family car be sexy??
By doogie517 on 05/29/13 19:17 PM (PDT)

2013 Kia Optima Sedan EX 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

I traded in my 2011 Kia Soul for a 2013 Kia Optima EX and even though its only been about a month, I can honestly say this car is HOT. It certainly has more features for the price than any other car in its class, and the the gas mileage is slightly lower than what is posted, overall I love this car. I got the snow white pearl finish with the light grey leather interior. I added custom wheels and a wood dash, and the car is now on par with a Lexus for half the price. the icing on the cake was the other day when i was at the grocery store, and this guy pulls up in a supercharged dodge challenger, rolls down the window, and says "nice ride" that made me smile for the rest of day!!

2012 EX Optima - Amazing Value
By jerryk007 on 05/18/13 08:30 AM (PDT)

2013 Kia Optima Sedan EX 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

Now a proud owner for 1 year. Overall average mpg 24.0+. Great ride and I am amazed by the acceleration of this hot 4 cylinder! Interior finish is excellent and the leather is tops. I am still wondering how this KIA is so well priced that anyone would buy a Toyota! Thus far no mechanical or build problems at all. Cons: Only one! The steering wheel is a bit to "slick" to grip.

5000 miles in 15 days, love it!
By bikephil on 05/15/13 17:31 PM (PDT)

2013 Kia Optima Sedan SX 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

Picked up my 2011 Optima SX with 20k miles on it on April 29. Today (May 16) I have 24,500 miles. MPG has not been below 32 for any of my trips, and has been as high as 35 even though I average 70-75 MPH (always use cruise, never use ECO button). Quiet, comfortable, stylish. Cooled seats are terrific. Nice radio. Roomy, even for a 6'2" guy like me.

Nice Car
By webelnv on 04/26/13 12:38 PM (PDT)

2013 Kia Optima Sedan SX 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

We bought the SXL. It looks great and drives nice. It does have a few blind spot you need to get use to. We've had the car for 3 months now and are fuel mileage for street and highway has been about 21-22 mpg. We haven't taken it on a road trip yet. The only thing I didn't like about the SXL is you can only get white or black interior. In the northwest I really don't like black interior so we went with white. It would have been nice if you could get tan or a grey interior in the SXL. We have had some problems with the nav. system not working. Have had to turn car off and restart it to get it to work.

Great car!
By hoagie5 on 04/25/13 21:23 PM (PDT)

2013 Kia Optima Sedan SX 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

Just traded in a 2011 Optima EX that we thoroughly enjoyed. It was comfortable, great looking, economical, and dependable. We upgraded to an SXL with the turbo and a few more bells and whistles. So far it's everything the first one was plus! After owning a long line of GM products, I can't see ever going back....my experience with these cars is just that good.

And the winner is?
By autonut134 on 04/13/13 16:49 PM (PDT)

2013 Kia Optima Sedan EX 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

That's it I'm done. I finally bought a car after a solid month of research and test drives. I looked at and considered ford fusion, Nissan Altima, vw jetta and passat, Mazda 6, Honda accord, Hyundai sonata, Acura tl and ixl, and maybe I forgot some.the Optima provided the most bells and whistles, and I'm a sucker for those things, for and unbelievable price. But price alone didn't do it. This car drives and looks great and has an awesome warranty. The interior looks refined and the exterior is youthful and aggressive in a sea of boring cars. The other car that came close was the fusion but it was much more $. I hope the quality is there in the long run but right now I'm very happy with it.

Does everything they say it will +
By richardrp on 04/05/13 08:23 AM (PDT)

2013 Kia Optima Sedan LX 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

I bought it thinking I would get less than shown on mileage. WRONG !!! After 1000 miles getting, Interstate driving cruising, 70 mph on flat ground, a steady 36.7-.8 mpg. Yesterday a 53 mile return trip driving Interstate Hwy with rolling hills, State Hwy with steep hills, 6 miles of rural blacktop road with high hills and and winding curves, stopping in small town to buy dinner, stopping at 4 stoplights . Average 34.7 mpg, average speed 49 mph for total trip . General driving trip to town driving 26 miles through steep hills on winding road and town driving, average 29.3 mpg. For anyone getting terrible mileage with this engine, try Star Tron add to clean water/crbn from fuel, etc.

Optima SX 14,000
By dlehnhoff on 04/01/13 16:12 PM (PDT)

2013 Kia Optima Sedan SX 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

For me the car is fun to drive and I've had a lot of high end German cars along with their high end service and many repair costs. With the SX,enjoy the horsepower and all the amenities inside. Get 23-24 mpg in city, 28 to 31 at 70 mph on freeway. My only complaint is the passenger seat not able to raise. Had a seat heater on front passenger go kaput took awhile to get a new one. Dwight Lehnhoff

Nearly the perfect balance of performance/economy/price.
By steve63_10 on 03/28/13 23:54 PM (PDT)

2013 Kia Optima Sedan LX 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

The key to this car is measuring the overall value in a car of this class. Kia has done a great job with a car that has more than adequate performance, a host of standard features, a very roomy and stylish interior, striking looks and the best fuel economy of any car I've owned. I've HAD it with paying for $4/Gal gas and getting 13 mpg's in SUV's and trucks etc. Although I've never gotten 35 mpg as advertised, I have averaged 28.5 in mixed driving. Quite good for a car of it's size and performance level. The LX has all the features we wanted and kept the price very reasonable. Is this the perfect car? No. (see suggested improvements) However, it is quite good at just about everything.

The Edmunds TCO® estimated monthly insurance payment for a 2013 Kia Optima Sedan in VA is:

$161 per month*