2014 Jeep Cherokee SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2014 Jeep Cherokee SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Cherokee model:

Dogs can open the windows while driving!
By Sherry

2014 Jeep Cherokee SUV Latitude 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 9A)

It seems when I go to accelerate, my Jeep Cherokee Latitude hesitates. This can be frightening when you are expecting the vehicle to go and it doesn't. My other suggestions would be to change the front window opening mechanism because if my dogs are in the front seat and the air is on, they can step on the window button and open them. If I lock the windows, then I can't open them for the dogs to stick their heads out when I want them to be able to do that. When the window is partly down, there is no way to keep them from opening them all the way. I had a Jeep Liberty and those window controls were dog proof and much better. The other suggestion is to move the voice controls from the steering wheel location. My husband continually hits that button on accident and has to say cancel. The best feature is the remote start, heated seats and steering wheel, but you can get that on other vehicles.

The 3.2 V6 Is Great!!!!
By Chris B

2014 Jeep Cherokee SUV Trailhawk 4dr SUV 4WD (2.4L 4cyl 9A)

So, Edmunds wouldn't let me choose the 3.2 V6 as an option, but that's what I have. I purchased this 2014 Trailhawk used at my local dealership, which is the top jeep dealer in its region. It was loaded with full leather (some models have a leather/cloth mix, so don't be confused) and every option available. It was purchased with 32k on the odometer and was well broken in but in great condition. I was very aware of the vehicles transmission issues before purchase but decided to take my chances. I test drove it 4 times before purchase, twice by myself; stop and go traffic, up and down hills and freeways. I did notice on some inclines there was a slight hesitation in shifting. In my novice opinion, this is just a quirk in the transmission. A little extra gas and the shift was flawless. I can't imagine owning the 4 cylinder version of this vehicle. It weighs 5500lbs, only 200lbs less than my 2014 Jeep Wrangler unlimited rubicon and its heavy axels. This is probably the root of the problem of the 9 speed transmission.... The 4 cyl engine just can't keep up with the vehicles weight. OPT FOR THE V6 if you can afford the extra $$$$. The interior is flawless and competes against that of Audi (I traded a 2010 A4). The ride isn't the same, but it's a suv versus a sports sedan. That's to be expected. The ride is excellent for what it is. You can't beat the technology offered in this vehicle either. My wife and I had zero problems connecting our iPhone 6's (hers was primary since it's her car). The Bluetooth works well and clarity is pretty good on both ends. Overall, those are my main thoughts on this vehicle. For value, options, features and now 33500 on the odometer, it can't be beat.

Yeah...But No
By Jane Doe

2014 Jeep Cherokee SUV Limited 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 9A)

Was so excited to get my new Jeep Cherokee. One month in, the car started shuddering heavily and pulling as I was driving down the road. The dashboard looked like a NASA lunar launch mission it was so lit up. Then the damn thing just...stopped. In traffic. Had it towed to the dealer. They couldn't find anything. Same thing happens again a couple of weeks later. Same result. A month later, I get locked inside the car. Yes--inside. Can't open the doors, the windows, nothing. Tow comes (3 hours, thank you Jeep Roadside Assistance), and again "nothing." Then the car started vibrating and shaking. Now the diagnosis was "transmission problems." Each time, the service took longer and longer, and it never got fixed. Each time = 5 times. And through all of this, I had to deal with the abysmal service through Chrysler Customer Care and their dealers, who are surly and condescending. Imagine calling for a service problem with a safety issue and being told that they have an appointment 9 days away. Yup--that happened. At first, I thought this was an isolated instance: my car was just a bad car. But after I did a little investigation, I discovered that these issues were known Jeep issues, especially the shaking and the transmission problems. Do yourself a favor and stay away.

DO NOT BUY THIS RAGGEDY CAR
By DToliver

2014 Jeep Cherokee SUV Sport 4dr SUV 4WD (2.4L 4cyl 9A)

I bought this car just over a year ago. When on the test drive I noticed it was shifting hard. The salesperson told me, "oh that's NORMAL". I shrugged it off because after speaking with her I went and talked to the service technician who told me the hard shifting was normal for this particular vehicle and it would cease once it adjusted to the way I drove the car. I'm not mechanically inclined at all when it comes to cars but that response sounded absurd. But, I got a SUPER GREAT DEAL and bought it anyway. After having it for a few months, I took it in because the hard shifting had gotten worse. (Love Field Jeep Chrysler Dodge) They told me it was something minor and the issue was fixed. After about a month, I started to feel the hard shifting issue again and I before I could take it in, I received a recall notice in the mail. I took it in again and they "reset this" and "adjusted that" and they told me it would be fine. And, for about a week, it was. I took it in for the 3rd time and the service advisor called me after a couple of days and said, "we have to replace your transmission". They kept the car for a couple of weeks and when I got it back, the problem was finally fixed. BUT....about a month later, the car started dying while I was driving it. It would die, hesitate to start, start, die again, and finally it would stay running. After about 2 weeks of this I finally took it back to the shop to have it looked at. They kept it for a couple of days and then called me to say that they're having to REPLACE THE ENGINE!!!! Something about leaking valves engine compression...yadda, yadda, yadda!!!! The only good thing about this experience is that the service technician is a cutie!!! Other than that, DO NOT BUY THIS RAGGEDY CAR!!!!!

Jeep is a joke
By jtk13

2014 Jeep Cherokee SUV Latitude 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 9A)

I purchased my 2014 Jeep Cherokee on 04/2014. As soon as I drove it off the lot, the stereo module wouldn't connect to my bluetooth. 2 times in the shop, computer module was replaced. Few months later, the vehicle started "changing gears" while going 70 mph. It literally felt like the vehicle would change to neutral and the tires lock up. It only lasted a few seconds. Took it to the local Jeep dealership they said it was nothing wrong with it. Took it back with the same issue, still nothing wrong with it. Took it to the place I bought it, they fixed the transmission valve (after being in the shop for 3 weeks) I'be been having the vehicle back one month and it still has problems.

Jeep needs to make improvements on this vehicle. It's very dangerous to drive a vehicle like that. Very disappointed... I will NEVER buy another Jeep brand vehicle.