Used 1999 Jaguar XK-Series Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1999 Jaguar XK-Series - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific XK-Series model:

Stay away
By ex-fan

1999 Jaguar XK-Series XK8 2dr Coupe

After 80,000 miles, the timing chains came off. The engine was destroyed. And the warranty had expired. Jaguar must have known about this issue -- the issue has been widely written about by other owners on the internet and my dealership stated that chains typically come loose between 80,000 and 100,000 (but a small oil leak usually leads to a repair before all timing chains come off). But no one warned me. Not Jaguar, and not my dealership. Don't be a fool. Don't buy junk.

The gorgeous shape, the guttural engine, and cornering quickly.

cf. review

Mixed feelings
By One more thought

1999 Jaguar XK-Series XK8 2dr Convertible

I love the looks and the ride is exceptional for a sports car. Long trips are no problem, the car is easy to drive and very responsive on the highway. It could use more low end torch, and the transmission is a concern sense it is a closed system, unable to change any fluids. I had to change motor mounts and the safety monitoring system for the transmission is very touchy. The vehicle brakes very well and stability is exceptional.

The looks and the handling are exceptional.

Needs a different transmission and upgraded electrical.

A great old girl
By Markas

1999 Jaguar XK-Series XK8 2dr Convertible

I have a friend who owned this car and was moving out of the country and couldn't take it. I have been salivating over it for some time, so buying it was a no-brainer. I haven't owned a convertible before, so it has been a delight driving around topless this summer. The interior is comfortable, but those back seats are a bit silly. The acceleration is good and the hum of the engine is delightful. I've had quite a few people ask me about the car at stoplights and stop signs. What a fun car to drive.

The quiet convertible roof. The fact that it has a glass (not plastic) rear window. The hum of the engine. The stereo system is very good, but I wish the CD changer was in the dash. The key has a very cool shape. ;)

The wiper lever is too close to the ignition. I regularly turn the wipers on when starting the engine. Also, I wish the little back windows could be put up when the top is down.

Reality
By greyfox

1999 Jaguar XK-Series XK8 2dr Convertible

Great looking but no real substance. At 65000 miles, I have repaired timing chain guides, motor mounts, tilt wheel electronics, door lock electronics, memory seat electronics, Mass Air flow meter, throttle body module, fuel pump, fuel regulator, plugs and it still is a big question mark. Can shut down in traffic. No notice. Can be hard to start up with shaking for 2 minutes. Shows failures but the computer reads unrelated problems which if fixed would not make any difference. Intermittent ability to start up. Sometimes seems like no starter connected.

Looks, ride, comfort trunk size. A real beauty.

Quality.

The Brits can still make a great car
By Richard Hill

1999 Jaguar XK-Series XK8 2dr Convertible

I had resisted buying another Jaguar since my bad experiences with the XJ models of the 70/80s. However, since Ford has dragged this famous marque into the 21st century, with good quality control & finish, I decided to give the make another go. I have not regretted it for one moment, because this beautiful lady will make you feel 20 years younger without surgery & hours in the gym (as did XKE in the 1960s). The performance & endless power is captivating (forget the nonsense of 0-60 & top speed).The ride is firm, but comfortable & the road holding is like a go-kart. The design team of Jaguar has blended luxury, style, performance & feel good factor in one car, which is hard to beat under $100K.

This lady (when you think how old she is) can still turn heads, instead of stomaches in my case. The road holding is very forgiving, the torque is endless, the interior is well thought out & the finish is much improved. If you worry about m.p.h. then you have really lost the plot.

Automatic hand break release when you select a gear, because I have driven off so many times with it on. Cool seat option (like Lexus) would be very comfortable in the heat. Option to lose the sad rear seats for extra storage, not all of us have little children or three foot friends.