2000 Jaguar S-Type Consumer Review: Love it - Hate it - Don't buy

2000 Jaguar S-Type - Consumer Review

3.0 Sedan (3.0L V6 5-speed Automatic)

Love it - Hate it - Don't buy it!
By Karl in Florida on

2000 Jaguar S-Type 3.0 4dr Sedan

I fell in love with the lines and appearance of the S-Type when they first came out, so I bought a used one several years ago with less than 40k miles on it. That's where the love affair ended. This car (as are most S-Types) quickly became a mechanical nightmare (and I take care of my cars and am an easy driver). With less than 12k miles on it, I had issues with the brakes, coolant leak, gasket leak, radiator leak, failed headlights, issues with front brakes, failed cig lighter, failed O2Sensor, failed catalyst...the list never stops. Jag quality was bad, but Ford didn't help!

In spite of the mounting mechanical issues, I love the look of the car. It still catches eyes and comments... if they only knew how expensive it was to keep on the road, they'd look the other way. Also, I can't complain about the mileage (when the engine runs that is). I get 30 mpg highway.

Improved quality would have been nice. This could have been a benchmark car for Jaguar, but they blew it.
By jaguar2000
on 08/01/12 18:01 PM (PDT)

The funny thing is, you go to the Jaguar dealership and they charge you like the car is still the top of the hill. It's junk. It's a Ford. So why is it so much money at the dealership for repairs?