2000 Jaguar S-Type - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific S-Type model:
owned it
By ge1024 on 11/22/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2000 Jaguar S-Type 4.0 4dr Sedan

4.0 liter is best, handling and ride super, careful driving and the mileage was 23! Very reliable, great breaks

My experience with my 2000 S type Jaguar
By Geogia on 10/17/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2000 Jaguar S-Type 3.0 4dr Sedan

This has been an exciting and fun car to drive. Gets lots of looks and compliments from the young to the old. Everyone love the car and how it looks. No problems with the car after one year of ownership. Easy to keep clean--best paint job I have ever seen on a car.

Transmision is crap
By Linda1 on 08/05/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2000 Jaguar S-Type 3.0 4dr Sedan

With age, (i.e. around 50000 mi), the transmission will not come out of park on "any" slope. This is not fixable according to Jaguar and is still being duplicated on the new ones. To us, this means, that it is not econimically fixable without listening to a lot of our grief, or some class action response. Their "answer" is to always remember to put the emerg brake on first, then put in park, then turn off the engine. Their own service person didn't do this on our last oil change. According to their consumer response people, this is a "Typical and common problem".

Looks great but needs minor improvements
By jd7425 on 06/20/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2000 Jaguar S-Type 3.0 4dr Sedan

Looks and drives great, handles well on the road and is quite comfortable on long trips. Haven't experienced any major mechanical malfunctions, only gripe I have is that the car needs better quality parts on the smaller items. For instance, the gas cover needs a metal latch versus the plastic one it has (broke once already). The window mechanisms tend to breakdown quite often (3 times) causing the window to drop down into the door and in Yuma, AZ during the summer it's not a great experience with over 100 degree temps during the day. The stereo amp was replaced due to a loud humming noise even when the stereo was turned off.

Beautiful But Don't Go There
By OFFPUTTING on 06/18/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2000 Jaguar S-Type 4.0 4dr Sedan

I've made 17 trips to the dealership for warranty work. Over 1% of the mileage accrued was logged on trips to and from the dealership. To date I've spent almost two work weeks of time due to dealer visits. The check engine light has been on for 1/2 of the 45,000 miles logged. A window fell out. Wheel bearings shot. Goofy radio that came on of its own volition. Transmission defect.Sensors failed. If you are lonely and seek human interaction buy a Jaguar 2000 S Type 4.0. You will get loads of human interaction at the dealership because you'll visit the folks there frequently. Also be prepared for multiple dealership visits for the same problem.

Transmission/Gearbox/Locks in park
By BLUEBLUE on 04/01/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2000 Jaguar S-Type 4.0 4dr Sedan

My Jaguar was a gift from my husband. I love the body style of the car, however I am suprised that a recall has not been issued for the cars defaults such as transmission/gearbox failure. My cars has gotten stuck in park on three occassion, it happens on inclines.I have also experienced several small items breaking/falling apart on the car such as latch on opening to gastank,windows falling out, gastank replaced, seatleather redone. One other problem I have had was valves replaced. esomd

Don't do it
By nojag4me on 02/21/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2000 Jaguar S-Type 3.0 4dr Sedan

I have never had more problems with any vehicle I have owned. The car is in the shop more than it is at my garage. No doubt the best loooking car on the road...but it is seldom on the road. Did not find dealership helful. I have purchased my last Jag. Give me my Mercedes back!

Great Car
By Dan Shuck on 02/06/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2000 Jaguar S-Type 3.0 4dr Sedan

One of the smoothest rides I've ever had for the price... head turner

the cat
By la1 on 11/23/02 00:00 AM (PST)

2000 Jaguar S-Type 4.0 4dr Sedan

Lovely car to drive and be seen in.No problems as of yet.Love this car

Rave for Jag S
By picklepep on 11/19/02 00:00 AM (PST)

2000 Jaguar S-Type 4.0 4dr Sedan

I have had a excellent experience with both this dealer and with the vehicle itself. This jag makes you want to drive everywhere! Even young people give me thimbs up when they walk past me at a stop light! I've had only a few minor problems with this pre-owned beauty, all covered under warranty,and no hassles about it at all. I'll definitely buy another one.