Used 2000 Jaguar S-Type Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2000 Jaguar S-type - Consumer Reviews

2000 Jaguar S-Type

View reviews for a specific S-Type model:

Most Helpful|
Looks great; pity about the mechanics
By Dr B

2000 Jaguar S-Type 3.0 4dr Sedan

Love the outside, pity about the workmanship. Yes the interior doesn't hold much room, but I didn't buy it for that. Unfortunately just after the warantee finished both front windows fell off their levers costing and arm and a leg to fix. The moulding on the front of the car also came away.

Favorite Features

It looks great and people turn and smile.

Suggested Improvements

Make thw indows work, get rid of plastic bumpers, and cheap fixtures inside. It's either a luxury car or it's not. Nice face shame about the rest

Terrible Reliability
By Robert Danaian

2000 Jaguar S-Type 3.0 4dr Sedan

This is the worst luxury (?) car I have ever had. Never know what is going to fail next. How can Jaguar get away with such an awful car? I have spent thousands repairing this car. Do yourself a favor and buy something else. Anything else.

Favorite Features

looks

Cheap broken plastic bits everywhere
By Aardvark

2000 Jaguar S-Type 3.0 4dr Sedan

Pretty car, atrocious build quality, not so much assembly, but the cheapest garbage plastic everywhere. Inside trim pieces break, but worse, crappy plastic in critical components, including transmission shift gate and window lifts necessitating unreasonably expensive repairs to replace cheap broken parts. Brakes mushy with expensive pads and rotors, front suspension is a disaster. Tie rod ends, hubs, ball joints all made out of crap and need replacement. So if you're lucky, you won't need to do what everybody else has had to: replace the transmission, front end, a/c and heat components, engine coils, window regulators, etc. AND DON'T SLAM THE DOORS. Your window regulators will break.

Favorite Features

Pretty to look at.

Suggested Improvements

Stop making this car (oh, I guess somebody was listening).

A Beautiful Piece of Crudd...
By Doug

2000 Jaguar S-Type 3.0 4dr Sedan

I purchased this 2000 S type 3.0 several years ago with less than 40K miles on it. It's an absolutely beautiful car and I still get compliments from strangers. IF they only knew what sort of NIGHTMARE this car is mechanically. From cheap front headlights, to constant leaks, continued engine trouble, poor brakes and constant repair bills. I'm looking to dump this car as soon as it makes sense monetarily. DO NOT buy a 2000 Jag S Type from any dealer. At first, you'll love you car ... but eventually you'll regret the day you drove it off the lot.

Favorite Features

Comfortable seats, beautiful dash, center arm rest, multi-CD changer in glove box, comfortable ride, handles well on corners, eye catching design.

Suggested Improvements

Extremely poor mechanical quality, poor quality seals and hoses from factory, faulty headlight adjustments, electrical issues abound.

the most horrable nightmare
By hoser1

2000 Jaguar S-Type 4.0 4dr Sedan

I LOVE the design of this car and I LOVE to drive it...when it is not in for repair...I drive a rental more than my own car because it is always in the shop...for weeks at a time. the dealer ship couldn't figure out why it would always miss between 40-60 mph so they charged me over and over to "fix" different things...finaly the check engine light gave them a code which indicated the coils of which there are 12 they have been failing one at a time and each time I am back, last time I didn't get 10 miles from the shop. I am now driving another rental!!!!!!

Favorite Features

The design in and out, except for the rear of the car.