Steering and Driving Disappointment
By lrwilsonjr on
2013 Hyundai Santa Fe Sport 2.0T 4dr SUV AWD (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)
I purchased a 2013 Hyundai Santa Fe (2.0 T AWD) in March of 2013. I haven’t owned a Hyundai since 1988 and assumed the brand had improved. While in comparison to the 1988 Excel I owed, quality has made leaps and bounds, but this vehicle still falls short. The steering is erratic no matter what steering mode is chosen. Due to this, control of the vehicle, especially at high speeds, is a challenge. On roads with bumps, the vehicle seems to jump when hitting one. If turning a corner and a bump is hit, hold on tight…you may lose control of the vehicle. This is a safety concern experienced by many other 2013 Santa Fe owners and to date Hyundai corporate hasn’t addressed the issue.
Favorite Features
My favorite feature about the Santa Fe was the decision I made this past weekend sell it, take a substantial loss, and purchase a more solid vehicle (Volkswagen Touareg). I owned the Santa Fe for about five months and can say without a doubt that I am more disappointed in this vehicle that any other I’ve bought throughout the years. The Hyundai brand is pretty much off my shopping list for future purchases.
Suggested Improvements
The steering and general control issues need to be addressed. This is a safety concern. An additional issue I had with the vehicle was the mpg display was grossly inaccurate as to the mpg I was getting, i.e., display indicated 23-24 mpg when the actual mpg was 18-19 mpg. The five months I owned the vehicle I saw the average mpg at 19 for the vehicle. This is much lower that what’s promised. My new VW Touareg is getting that and it’s a much heavier vehicle with a substantially larger engine. My suggestion to anyone considering the 2013 Santa Fe is to think long and hard and do substantial research to include the NTSB data base of customer complaints. It’s not a pretty picture.