1997 Hyundai Elantra Consumer Review: Little Tug That Could

1997 Hyundai Elantra - Consumer Review

Little Tug That Could
By Kao on

1997 Hyundai Elantra 4dr Sedan

It's second hand and WAS in great condition. Great value. I highly recommend Hyundai's 1997+ Elantra and Tiburon- no experiences with their other cars. Even got 35mpg cruising at 75-80mph. The alignment was slightly off due to my brother's excellent driving into a truck. DEFINETLY NOT a mountain racer- sad to say, even my mom's 1992 AUTOMATIC Corolla handles better overall! I've tried emergency lane changes at 40mph. The rear kicks too hard; damn physics and weight transfer! Now if the car was lowered 1.25" with stiffer springs and anti- sways, slap some 16"x7" wheels . . . Just a great car, really!

BETA series motor- 90% of torque is developed at sub-3000rpm- great low end torque, especially with manual. Great mileage! VERY fun to drive with manual tranny

shorter shifter action engine WHEEZES in high revs (4500rpm+) standard TACHOMETER!!! better gripping tires needs more standard equipment needs lighting on HVAC controls; complete darkness in the night needs better placement of cup holders! better "holding" seats?