1997 Hyundai Elantra Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Elantra model:
Great Little Car!
By ckn on 11/03/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1997 Hyundai Elantra Sedan 4dr Sedan

This is my 1st car right after college. I have driven the hell out of it (93,400 mi). I have lots of money to buy a new car but don't because this baby has never given me any real problems. Past problems have been a cracked gasket, broken door hinge, and the CD player laser sometimes messed up. Just now I broke my inside door handle and a fuse keeps blowing so I can't shift out of park (but you can override that). All these things are minor. I replace brakes every 40k mi. Gas mileage is between 25-29 mpg. Yearly maintenance/repair costs (for everything) are approx $500. Can't go wrong there! I saved lots of money w/ this car!

Excellent Car
By cdbluejr on 10/08/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Hyundai Elantra Sedan 4dr Sedan

This car is the best car I have ever had (I have had a few). Lasted 6 years without any major repairs. Needs engine work now (93,100). Heater quit working last year (summer, 2002).

Piece of Junk
By dksm on 08/13/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Hyundai Elantra Sedan GLS 4dr Sedan

I bought this car back in Apr of 02 and it seemed like a good deal for the price. Everything worked great at first but then I started having some problems. First I had to replace the water pump in Jun-02, then a few months later I had to replace the radiator because the original one leaked in about 4 different places. For about the next 7 months I had no problems so I was thinking that everything would be ok, but then in Apr-03 one of the radiator fans went out. About 3 months later the AC stopped working because of a leak in one of the hoses. The AC worked for about month and now it has stopped working again. There is leak somewhere else in the AC system.

Elantra
By ceceipe on 05/27/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Hyundai Elantra Sedan 4dr Sedan

Clutch had to be replaced after 60000 miles. Speedometer broke after 60000 miles. Seats are not comfortable. Fuel Economy is ok.

Nice for the Price
By Phredd in CT on 02/02/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1997 Hyundai Elantra Sedan 4dr Sedan

It's the SE edition, with driving lights, spoiler, alloy rims...Bought my car in 2000 with 23k on it. Was just declared a total loss due to a hit and run on Christmas eve... The car now has 67,000 miles on it, and, besides a shorted out wire harness 3 weeks after I bought it, I have had no problems with it.

Little Tug That Could
By Kao on 01/09/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1997 Hyundai Elantra Sedan 4dr Sedan

It's second hand and WAS in great condition. Great value. I highly recommend Hyundai's 1997+ Elantra and Tiburon- no experiences with their other cars. Even got 35mpg cruising at 75-80mph. The alignment was slightly off due to my brother's excellent driving into a truck. DEFINETLY NOT a mountain racer- sad to say, even my mom's 1992 AUTOMATIC Corolla handles better overall! I've tried emergency lane changes at 40mph. The rear kicks too hard; damn physics and weight transfer! Now if the car was lowered 1.25" with stiffer springs and anti- sways, slap some 16"x7" wheels . . . Just a great car, really!

first owner
By vivand on 01/01/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1997 Hyundai Elantra Sedan GLS 4dr Sedan

This has been a good reliable car so far....definitely under valued in the market simply because it is new...

best of the best
By KENJI on 10/25/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

best of the best

Strong little car
By Slick on 10/23/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Hyundai Elantra Sedan 4dr Sedan

I bought this car after I crashed my previous car as a quick fix,The price was right and I figured it was a nice enough looking car. After a few days of driving it, I must say its a very nice car. I look alot better in this than I did in my old car. It gets good milage and has enough power to get and go if you need it.

This car sucks...I'd rather have a Geo
By Sweetlou014 on 08/08/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Hyundai Elantra Sedan GLS 4dr Sedan

This car is the worst car I have ever driven. I bought the car with 80,000 miles on it and since then have had nothing but trouble with it. The oxygen sensors went, and they are the most expensive I have ever seen. Diagnostic tests say that the oxygen sensor was the only thing wrong, but the car runs terrible. It skips in gears, revs incredibly high when idling sometimes. Overall, the only good thing I can say about this car is... umm... well... wait... nope, there's nothing good! K I'm done.