Used 1997 Hyundai Elantra Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1997 Hyundai Elantra - Consumer Reviews

1997 Hyundai Elantra Sedan

View reviews for a specific Elantra model:

Good for a while...
By Abner11

1997 Hyundai Elantra Sedan 4dr Sedan

Bought the car used in January 2003 with 36,750 for mileage. Had no problems at all for the first year - plus, and I drive A LOT. In August 2004 I had to replace the pulse generator and oil temperature sensor because the check engine light was coming on and the car was racing a little bit off the line. Cost about $400 at the dealership. Then came Christmas 2004 and all hell broke loose. Brought it to the dealer because A) the engine started racing again and B) the exhaust was awfully throaty. Dealership told me I needed a new transmission, a new front pipe and a new manifold because the existing exhaust pieces were rusted. Also, oil pan rusted through and let go, and head gasket blew.

Favorite Features

Comfortable, decent mileage, roomy enough for my needs, and I'm 6'2".

Suggested Improvements

The exhaust pieces and oil pan are very, very flimsy and will rust out in no time, resulting in costly repairs.

Good Car
By Ech

1997 Hyundai Elantra Sedan 4dr Sedan

I had VERY VERY FEW problems with this car. It still runs well. It is a steal for the price.

Very Happy
By MHnwd

1997 Hyundai Elantra Sedan 4dr Sedan

I purchased the SE model new in May of 97, and have been very happy with the overall performance. It's great on gas and very dependable. I have 85,000 miles and it still runs great. It has a strong little 4 cyl and the 5 spd makes it fun to drive. No major problems, only routine maint. It has exceeded my expectations and I have got my money out it!

Favorite Features

Body Style

Suggested Improvements

Windows fog up easy in the winter

No Complaints Here
By T-S

1997 Hyundai Elantra Sedan 4dr Sedan

Bought this car brand new in December of 1997. Car has run well and has 133,000 miles and still runs fine. The drivers side door handle broke at about 90K, and the windows fog very easily. The inserts for closing the door on both rear doors pop out often. Mechanically it has held up very well. Change the oil every 3,000 and other maintainance as needed. Overall I am very pleased.

Favorite Features

5 speed manual transmission & peppy little 4 cyl engine.

Suggested Improvements

Better interior quality.

Happy
By TMiller

1997 Hyundai Elantra Sedan 4dr Sedan

I bought the car new. I had a problem with the overflow leaking. I think that it was the dealers b.s. though. Their has always been a problem when I fill the gas tank; it puts out a strong gas odor. I have brought it in and of course they don't know what it is. I have had 4/5 new gas caps. I too have a problem with the door handle. The car has been from NY to FL a dozen times and to GA a few too. I have another car now; (due to a growing family, it doesn't hold more than 2 car seats) but the elantra still bails me out in any snow storm. Or any other time I need it and is now driven on a more part time basis by my other half.

Favorite Features

A great car in it's class. It is great in the snow. It got hit in the front corner by a suv and did more damage to the suv. No injury to me.

Suggested Improvements

The cup holder is in a bad place. The door handle needs better construction.