1998 Honda Prelude Coupe - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Prelude model:
honest 1998 honda prelude review
By wuhantang on 03/10/14 08:57 AM (PDT)

1998 Honda Prelude Coupe 2dr Coupe

i've owned the car for 2 years, bought it at 200,000km and drove it till 280,000km. as with all cars with high mileage, you must look at what the previous owners did for maintence. in the case of my prelude, EVERYTHING started to break down from leaking raditors to starter problems. My cost of ownership was high, BEWARE its hard to find a prelude that is in good condition.

Great car!
By josh1189 on 10/18/12 11:17 AM (PDT)

1998 Honda Prelude Coupe 2dr Coupe

I bought my 1998 Prelude Base Coupe 4sp. manumatic with 74K miles on it in 2006 as my first car. LOVED it! It was the best car I ever owned. In the year that I had it, I only replaced the O2 sensor. Not bad. The reason I had to get rid of it? It cost me too much to keep it. I was only 17, not making much money and couldn't afford the low profile tires (stock wheels, mind you), the premium fuel and, of course, the insurance company ate me alive. I didn't do my homework before I bought it. So, if you can afford the cost of ownership, this will be a great car.

As Honest as I can write...
By darealreview on 04/17/12 09:15 AM (PDT)

1998 Honda Prelude Coupe 2dr Coupe

I bought this car with 256000km's (159000 miles) on the car and finally bought a new car. It currently has 320000 kms (199000 miles). I'll be honest, Ive never driven a brand new Prelude, but from what I can see, considering the milage was high, it still booted, vtec'd, and sound like a fast sportscar. from 256000 to 320000 kms, i only worried about oil changes and gas. i had a couple of small things that had to be changed - fan belt, rotors, and exhaust. These are all 'maintenance' issues. This car is a soldier, and I abused the hell out of the car, and it just wont die. It is rusty as hell, and so now that I bought my new car, my prelude satisfies the carefree in me.

My Baby
By StClingin on 02/01/10 23:30 PM (PST)

1998 Honda Prelude Coupe 2dr Coupe

I own the tiptronic model, standard 2.2L, no fancy wancy vtec. Overall the Prelude is a beautiful car, thankfully the previous owners kept up the servicing and didn't thrash the living daylights out of it. My model is completely stock, straight out of the box, and I am very impressed. Tiptronic is great, you have the choice of just cruising around town in auto mode, or slapping the stick over to the side and drive it like a manual, changing gears without lifting the throttle - an added bonus. Great for open road cruising (Auckland to Cape Reinga and back (done 950+KM in two days) Excellent car. No nonsense. Safe. Reliable. End of story. Buy it!

Honda prelude review
By Bdawg22 on 08/17/09 11:02 AM (PDT)

1998 Honda Prelude Coupe 2dr Coupe

I bought my 1998 Base model Honda prelude about 3 months ago for 7,000 dollars at a used car dealership with 104k miles. When I bought it, it had a few aftermarket features such as DC sport headers, apexi n1 exhaust and lowering springs. I was looking for a good car to buy all around and the prelude fit my description perfectly, decent price range, good gas mileage, speedy car and reliable. The car is pretty quick my kill list includes Mitsubishi 3000GT, Every truck that has ever raced me, Audi TT turbo'd and any v6 mustang. The only problem I have had is the vinyl plastic under the windows both dried up and crusted off (common problem which is a pretty easy fix) and maybe cheap paint?

Great car
By I like toys on 02/18/09 11:32 AM (PST)

1998 Honda Prelude Coupe 2dr Coupe

I bought my Prelude with around 124000 miles and in close to half a year it now has 133000 on it. Honda did a great job with this car, it looks good has good performance, good fuel economy and it's reliable. I had a timing belt put on it right after I got the car because I knew it was going to be driven hard. It has a lot of miles on it now and I can tell she is getting tired. It burns a quart of oil every 2500 miles but the H series engines are known to burn oil from the factory so I check it often and don't have any problems. I gave tortured the thing hitting vtec constantly, speed shifts, speeds above 120 mph and hard braking and turns. It can take abuse. I love my Prelude!

1998 honda prelude base
By nick on 01/08/09 15:26 PM (PST)

1998 Honda Prelude Coupe 2dr Coupe

I'll start with the performance. The stock hp/torque is pretty good, allowing speeds of 140 easily. The clutch and tranny work as if god created them himself. Having blown a motor already, I suggest lowering your VTEC settings. VTEC engages using oil pressures, so the higher the setting, the quicker you burn oil, and possibly running dry too quick. Sure you'll lose some hp, but you'll gain fuel economy. So overall it's an amazing car, but if using aftermarket parts, I suggest letting Honda dealerships and legit Hondadata operators tune and maintain you're car.

black rose
By potter on 07/31/08 13:49 PM (PDT)

1998 Honda Prelude Coupe 2dr Coupe

Pros: the car has great handling on those tight turns. The sound system is great for stock. The pick up is amazing. The fuel economy works great with my driving time. I love how you can change from auto to manual. It might seem small but I'm 6,5" and I have plenty of room, and the girls love it. Cons: the back seats are small, so it sucks for my friends. The trunk space is small. The rear view mirrors have a big blind spot.

Amazing car
By Kat on 07/15/08 12:50 PM (PDT)

1998 Honda Prelude Coupe 2dr Coupe

A truly amazing car to drive. Superb handling, great gas mileage (I get about 27 city!), incredibly reliable, gorgeous exterior. I have added several modest aftermarket performance parts and absolutely love the ride! Certainly a keeper!

1998 Honda Prelude
By Ivan Garcia on 06/01/08 18:40 PM (PDT)

1998 Honda Prelude Coupe 2dr Coupe

Well, what can I say about the Honda Prelude, I own one myself. A 1998 Honda prelude automatic which is much fun to drive in the city of Salem. It's real sporty car and has a decent 4cyl v6 motor making 195 hp.

1 2 3 4 5 next »