2004 Honda Element Consumer Review: Love My Element Except for AC

2004 Honda Element - Consumer Review

EX 4dr SUV (2.4L 4-cyl. AWD 5-speed Manual)

Love My Element Except for AC Issue
By Melissa on

2004 Honda Element EX AWD 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

I love this little SUV...the AWD is grippy when you need it, the performance is okay for what I need (it can get out of its own way at least), the roominess inside can only be described as CAVERNOUS. It is super fun to drive because you can turn it on a dime and put it anywhere...it's very responsive for a box on wheels, surprisingly so. It has been reliable and dependable on everyday jaunts and on long trips. The seats, while not cushy, are VERY comfortable, like sitting in a chair rather than in a car. 1000 miles doesn't even fatigue you! One bad thing...AC compressor went at 36K miles and it will cost $1200 to fix (lowest estimate). CR-Vs and E's of these years have been known for this.

Favorite Features

Almost everything...if I had to choose it would be the handling and the cavernous interior space. But the comfort and unique styling bring up a close 2nd.

Suggested Improvements

V-6 option Honda...come on! This thing would be a blast with more power. Dear Honda, PLEASE fix the AC compressor issues that so many people are having with these vehicles...an AC compressor should last much longer and it shouldn't pollute the entire AC system when it does stop working.