Used 2009 Honda Civic Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2009 Honda Civic - Consumer Reviews

2009 Honda Civic Sedan

View reviews for a specific Civic model:

Not Bad for an Econobox
By Truck Dude

2009 Honda Civic Sedan LX-S 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5A)

I "traded down" from a Titan and 1 year/ 22k later, I am very pleased. I average 30 MPH in mixed driving, 36 MPG on the interstate at 80MPH with AC. The car handles VERY well. It's smooth with minimal body roll. In dry weather, it can stick to a 25mph cloverleaf at 55mph, no sweat. I don't like the sound of most 4cyls, but the R18 actually sounds pretty good. Do not expect this car (1.8 + auto) to be a rocket. It will move if you mash it past 3.5k, but at a serious fuel cost. There is minimal rolling resistance, so it is easy to glide up to and hold cruising speeds to save gas without any "hypermiling" nonsense. The interior is generally ergonomically correct, and can accommodate 4 adults.

Favorite Features

Handling is competitive and style is second to none. It's low maintenance (5-7k between oil changes) and easy to feed. It's obvious they put some thought into the R18. The LX-S is hard to find, but the interior makes it worth it.

Suggested Improvements

I've had no issues, but my wish list includes- Get rid of the drum brakes. Move the parking brake away from the driver's knees. Get an auto-trans that matches the performance efficiency of the engine, 0-60 in 9 something is not cool. The base stereo is probably worst in class.

Replacement Civic
By L-Willi

2009 Honda Civic Sedan LX 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5A)

I'm 16 years old, and my old Civic which was 2001 got hit by a truck when it was parked outside of my house and totalled. We were shopping for a replacement car. It was between the Civic or the 2009 Toyota Corolla. We got a really good deal on my 2009 Civic. It only has 17,000 miles. I love it. It looks nicer and more up to date than the Corolla. I'm glad we were able to get it. I just got it a few days ago so I can't report on the driving experience. So far I love driving it, and I love the auxiliary input. It handles very well. My only complaint, which I don't think should be changed because it makes the car what it is, is the hood is so short.

Favorite Features

Two-tiered display, comfortable seats, overall design, auxiliary input,

Suggested Improvements

stability control standard on all models, and trunk release on the remote

Traded in a BMW 3 series + Love my Honda
By MikeNJ

2009 Honda Civic Sedan LX 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5A)

I traded in my BMW 3 series when it became too expensive to maintain. I leased a Honda Civic because it's cheap, safe, and good on gas, not because it's the kind of car you fall in love with, but I fell in love with it! I've driven it from NJ to Montreal and Williamsburg for weekends, and it's comfortable for long drives. It handles well, even in light snow. Very solid build quality: no squeaks, no rattles, no loose parts. Turn the key, and off you go. With easy driving you can get about 40 mpg on regular gas. This is my first Honda but definitely not my last. I would recommend Honda to anyone. Unbelievably comfortable, nice car for the money.

Favorite Features

Automatic sensors for oil changes and low tire pressure. iPod direct hookup in the dash stock on LX. ABS, side airbags standard.

Suggested Improvements

The bottom of the front bumper is very low, easy to hit some curbs when parking in parking lots so you have to be careful not to pull in too far. Steering wheel mounted audio controls in the LX model, standard traction control, trunk release on remote keyless control, extra cigarette plug.

Pluses and Minuses
By Dude

2009 Honda Civic Sedan LX 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5A)

Overall, a good commuter car with good mileage. Averaging 30 mph for mixed driving and have gotten 42 on a road trip with no AC going. Has some mechanical\design issues.

Favorite Features

Mileage, size, speedometer display, roominess for size, trunk size.

Suggested Improvements

My sun visor split apart and will now neither stay up or down. This seems to be a recurring problem with these cars as service writer indicates she has about 5 per week. For now under warranty but then what? Front brakes had to be done at 20,000 miles because of wear on one side - strange.

Great little car!
By purkat60

2009 Honda Civic Sedan LX-S 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5A)

I went from minivan to this fun to drive car. The tiered dashboard was easy to adjust to. It has enough pep for getting on the freeway. Great a/c for living in Texas. Bought this over one year ago with no regrets. Get 28-30 mpg combined heavy city traffic and suburbs. Easiest car to wash on the driveway!

Favorite Features

Tiered dashboard(should be on all cars), blue dash lights, alloy wheels, and atomic blue metallic color.

Suggested Improvements

Better gas mileage.