2009 Honda Civic Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Civic model:
Fun Car
By Charlie on 06/04/10 06:09 AM (PDT)

2009 Honda Civic Sedan EX-L 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5A)

FM Tuner has poor output due to bad antenna in window, Car has trouble starting under 32 degrees, easily scratchable interior.

Vibration at idle
By pod doc on 05/01/10 05:09 AM (PDT)

2009 Honda Civic Sedan EX-L 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

Since i purchased my civic i have noticed vibration at idle worse with the A/C on. I have been to the 2 dealers about 10 times with this complaint and there has only been 1 update that did not rectify the problem. The vibration is apparent when the A/C compressor engages at the same time as the cooling fans kick-in.

Not bad but not ideal
By djo on 04/26/10 14:54 PM (PDT)

2009 Honda Civic Sedan LX 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5A)

After 6 months the Civic is almost exactly as expected. Reliable, great mileage, solid build. There are a few things that will drive you nuts. If you are tall, the parking brake handle sticks up and you will whack your leg. It is impossible to see any part of the outside of the car from the inside so for a small car it is more difficult to park then you would expect. The rear seat is not divided so you have to fold down the whole seat - a difficult task with the release mounted in the trunk. The key has become the joke of my department at work. It is huge (gold plate it and it could be the key to the city). It also costs over $100 to duplicate. So solid car with some design issues.

gas milege
By Todd on 04/09/10 05:44 AM (PDT)

2009 Honda Civic Sedan EX 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5A)

I do not know how people get more mileage but I am getting 20 MPG driving city.

Fun to drive, but BUYER BEWARE!
By Nathan on 04/05/10 10:38 AM (PDT)

2009 Honda Civic Sedan LX-S 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5A)

The car is fun to drive. It has good acceleration and corners very well. Gas mileage is pretty good, averaging around 33 mpg combined city and highway driving. BUYER BEWARE THE A/C CONDENSER. A week ago, I noticed that my A/C was not cooling. Called the dealership and they said that it was possibly a rock through the condenser. I took it in, and sure enough, a big hole in the A/C condenser. Cost of repair, $576. I did a Google search and apparently this is a common event that Honda will not address as a problem, not only on civic, but also accord and odyssey. They tell you to file a claim with your insurance company for their poor design. This is not what I expected from a Honda.

Disapointing Honda
By Ellie Vali on 04/02/10 04:41 AM (PDT)

2009 Honda Civic Sedan LX 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5A)

Learned that if you're not careful w/tire rotation and alignment on the dot, your front tires will not last more than 8k!

Not For Me
By VA Man on 03/27/10 21:16 PM (PDT)

2009 Honda Civic Sedan DX-VP 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

Mileage is excellent (37 combined) and the engine and transmission are smooth and will last. But the interior design is so poor that I got rid of the car already. Shifter is so far forward that you have to continually reach for it. Between the seats needs an arm rest. Seat belts bind.

Horrible fuel economy
By rich6139 on 02/21/10 06:38 AM (PST)

2009 Honda Civic Sedan LX 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5A)

I have owned 2 previous Honda Civics in the past 14 years. Got a 2009 Civic recently, and it is getting horrible fuel economy. This one is only getting average of 24 MPG, whereas my previous Civics got 36 MPG. American Honda says there is nothing wrong with the car, so now I am stuck with a gas guzzzler car. NO MORE HONDAS FOR ME EVER AGAIN !!!!!

Disgusted with Honda
By TPTV on 02/10/10 21:12 PM (PST)

2009 Honda Civic Sedan EX 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5A)

I will never buy another Honda. Honda ought to be embarrassed to have their name on this car. Although I just bought the car last year, I have had it at the dealership to have numerous flaws repaired or replaced under the warranty: (1)windshield replaced due to distortions; (2) door handles and side mirrors replaced due to the lack of quality paint job; (3) front and rear bumpers painted due to lack of quality paint job; (4) the regulators in the front doors had to be replaced when the windows stopped going down all the way; and (5) the moldings that cover-up the front side airbags show gaps when it should be flush mounted.

Good, Not Great Car
By Bryson on 01/20/10 10:30 AM (PST)

2009 Honda Civic Sedan LX-S 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

I have owned my 2009 LX-S for 6 months now and I am pretty happy with it. It is excellent on gas I average about 33 MPG overall, I love the styling (both inside and out), it is smooth, reliable and has plenty of room for most anyone (I am 6'3" and I fit with ease) even the back has better space than most all the other cars I test drove. I am still kicking myself for not dishing out the extra cash for the Si (the car is fun but i can just imagine what those extra 57 horses could do).

The Edmunds TCO® estimated monthly insurance payment for a 2009 Honda Civic Sedan in VA is:

$120 per month*