2014 GMC Sierra 1500 Crew Cab Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2014 Gmc Sierra-1500 - Consumer Reviews

2014 GMC Sierra 1500 Crew Cab

View reviews for a specific Sierra 1500 model:

Good but has all the right potential.
By josepharkansas

2014 GMC Sierra 1500 Crew Cab SLT 4dr Crew Cab 5.8 ft. SB (5.3L 8cyl 6A)

Have had my 2014 Sierra 1500 Z71 4WD for almost 2 years now. Overall great experience but some understandable set backs. First, exterior styling is awesome, mechanical wise the transmission and engine both run strong, locking rear differential does its job. MPG not bad for power/weight ratio. Major problem I had was driver-side rear axle seal went bad/leaked with just 9,500 miles on it. My owning experience was further dampened by at least 10 reacalls from GM-I udnerstand about small glitches but it left a bad impression. All said I don't believe that GMC are "professional grade." GM vehicles are no doubt better these days but hope they would listen to real owners more attentively.

Favorite Features

Roomy, quiet cabin, interior quality is solid. Awesome powerplant & drive line with capable towing to offer wide variety of life styles. Option of locking differential is a big plus.

Suggested Improvements

More ergonomics that can "better" tailor to drivers of various width & height. Offer option of heavy duty brakes even on 1500 series (maybe contract out to Brembo) as an added dealer option? Make a true effort to really build a Professional Grade product like they claim on commecials.

Dangerous headlights
By larry_rymal

2014 GMC Sierra 1500 Crew Cab SLT 4dr Crew Cab 5.8 ft. SB (5.3L 8cyl 6A)

Comfortable, secure-feeling pickup. Overall quality feel is pure A-1. Daytime confidence value just can't be higher. Motor is strong, shifting is smooth after about 1000 miles. Tows well without sagging in the back due to trailer tongue weight. Best truck I have owned. But, this truck has a blemish--a dangerous one. In rural areas, the headlamp lighting is awful. There is no lateral light spill to assist turning onto intersecting roads. None. Left turns are the worse. You will be turning into total darkness. The effect is as if you have a burned out left lamp. Going straight, the hi-beam doesn't "reach out and touch" enough. You will need to buy auxiliary lighting.

Favorite Features

Comfort level, seating, quietness. Once you learn the infotainment system, you'll be happy. For example, you can be having the GPS displaying the map in the center display, and in the speedometer's sub-display, the song author and title displaying, at your option. Very nice touch.

Suggested Improvements

Scrap the navigation program from Tom Tom. It is amazingly minimal, with no Trace Back feature and an awful interface. It does not offer the Tom Tom features as included with their standard hand-held unit. Give more space between the door and seat. Difficult to slide hand to door controls. If wearing a watch of the left hand, and one is the driver, then the watch will scratch the door paneling.

AWESOME TRUCK
By clearwatereq

2014 GMC Sierra 1500 Crew Cab SLT 4dr Crew Cab 4WD 5.8 ft. SB (5.3L 8cyl 6A)

Had my 14 crew cab SLT over a year and 26,000 trouble free miles. I'm getting a steady 21 mpg highway. Truck is extremely smooth and quiet. I traded in a 2012 Ram and this GMC feels more refined with better on road performance. Great truck overall.

Favorite Features

Ride, quiet, looks, performance.

Suggested Improvements

poor oem quality tires, factory headlamps not the best, fussy nav system.

OFF OF THE DRAWING BOARD TOO FAST!!!!!
By rodrickj

2014 GMC Sierra 1500 Crew Cab SLT 4dr Crew Cab 5.8 ft. SB (5.3L 8cyl 6A)

When I first saw this truck it was love at first site. However, after driving it over 5000 miles, I started to hear a hum in the rear end. To make a long story short, the druck has been in the shop for a total of 3 months. The differential has been rebuilt, drive shaft replaced, rebuilt deferential taken out and brand new differential installed, driver seat had to be shimmed, and a total of 3 recalls. You would think that after all of that the problem would have been solved, WRONG, I still have a hum in my rear end and a pain in the other. It is a shame that a billion dollar company like GM won't admit that they made a screw up with at least my Sierra. I can't recommend to anyone.

Don't do it! Bad truck
By qzationsa

2014 GMC Sierra 1500 Crew Cab Denali 4dr Crew Cab 4WD 5.8 ft. SB (5.3L 8cyl 6A)

I have written a few reviews now and somehow they keep getting taken down. This truck is by far the worst truck I have ever owned. The transmission hunts for gears and bangs and clangs. GM said that's normal. The seat has broken 4 times and has been replaced, still broken. Headlights are a joke and a safety issue when it is wet out. Nothing in the truck works right. GPS cannot find addresses, and that ride, awful. When I hit a bump I get a ping in the rear end. Again, according to GM normal. If you like to drive you don't want this truck. I love looking at this truck but I cannot stand driving it. It's awful, its slow and those gears are some of the worst I have ever experienced.

Favorite Features

Bose Sound

Suggested Improvements

I pod connections do not work, bluetooth only works some of the time. Rediculious driveline wip needs to be addressed. When you turn the wheel the lights dim, why? Please fix the lighting. GM missed the mark on this truck. This is my second 2014 GMC the first was returned with a blown rear end at 380 miles.