Used 2004 GMC Sierra 1500 Extended Cab Consumer Reviews - 62 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2004 GMC Sierra 1500 Extended Cab - Consumer Reviews

2004 GMC Sierra 1500 Extended Cab

View reviews for a specific Sierra 1500 model:

Rust bucket
By John

2004 GMC Sierra 1500 Extended Cab 4dr Extended Cab SLE 4WD LB (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

bought brand new in 2004. at 45,000 miles the gauge cluster went, @ 88,000 miles the catalytic converter went, @ 7 years old the cab corners and rocker panels started to bubble despite always washing and hand waxing, along with car washes. At 110k I was using coolant and heard my lifters ticking. With no warranty I pulled the valve covers only to find anti-freeze and my cylinder heads covered in muck!!! The warped cylinder heads that caused the disaster were on millions of gm vehicles between 2002 and 2006. Cadillac's, yukons, sierras, etc, A local mechanic with gm explained that they knew about the problem but continued to use the heads because they had purchased millions of dollars worth of them and knew the buyers would get 100k miles out of them. He explained a recall would have cost millions of dollars so they decided it was pretty much just cheaper to screw the buyer. 3k in parts and labor and the car was down for a week. Needed all new lifters and heads planed. @ 120k rust is through the cab corners and rocker panels. Won't pass inspection in NH, Large holes. Now at 146k It's using coolant again. I tasted the water dripping from the exhaust pipe. Sure enough, anti-freeze. Time to go. Bad luck with 3rd gmc in a row. I'm a bow tie guy with chevelles and other muscle but a ford 250 super duty is looking pretty good. Gas of course where as nothing beats a Dmax.

great trucks
By tyloterbauer

2004 GMC Sierra 1500 Extended Cab 4dr Extended Cab SLT Rwd SB (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

Bought this truck used at 126k miles drove for a month started loosing coolant took it into my dealership they found out it was the water pump not the heads replaced for free I've had to do shocks ball joints tire rod ends maf sensor left bank exhaust manifold gasket evap control module u joint and axle shaft seals because I'm super picky but understand that I did not buy a brand new truck I bought used this truck pulls like a dream rides great just wish it didn't govern at 98 and had better stopping power I drove an 08 and decided I still liked the 04 better plenty of power and mpg isn't bad 04 sierra sle 5.3 extended cab 4x4 z71 is a keeper for sure out Mudd's my buddies fords and dodges

Cracked Cylinder Heads
By formergmcguy

2004 GMC Sierra 1500 Extended Cab 4dr Extended Cab SLE 4WD SB (4.8L 8cyl 4A)

At about 53,900 miles, my 2004 5.3L developed a ticking noise.
Turned out to be cracked cylinder heads.
$3800 repair bill.
I had it repaired and traded it for a brand new Tundra with 5.7L engine.

No regrets.

Color - black.

If GM would have stood behind their product, I might have bought another one.

Cracked cylinder heads
By Stan

2004 GMC Sierra 1500 Extended Cab 4dr Extended Cab SLE Rwd SB (4.8L 8cyl 4A)

This will be my last GMC vehicle. 2004 GMC Sierra with 60,000 miles developed 2 cracked cylinder heads and also need lifters replaced. $3600 repair bill. Called GMC to complain but they didn't care.

none now

GREAT TRUCK
By ikeguy29

2004 GMC Sierra 1500 Extended Cab 4dr Extended Cab SLT 4WD SB (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

I drove this truck across the country, no problems and i had a trailer in pull. Maine to Washington. Very comfy and with a few add ons, the gas mileage for me is low 20's high way. 5.3L. Good truck, Recommend.

SLT option package