2004 GMC Sierra 1500 Extended Cab - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Sierra 1500 model:
Cracked Cylinder Heads
By formergmcguy on 02/01/13 17:27 PM (PST)

2004 GMC Sierra 1500 Extended Cab 4dr Extended Cab SLE 4WD SB (4.8L 8cyl 4A)

At about 53,900 miles, my 2004 5.3L developed a ticking noise. Turned out to be cracked cylinder heads. $3800 repair bill. I had it repaired and traded it for a brand new Tundra with 5.7L engine. No regrets.

Cracked cylinder heads
By Stan on 05/12/10 08:29 AM (PDT)

2004 GMC Sierra 1500 Extended Cab 4dr Extended Cab SLE Rwd SB (4.8L 8cyl 4A)

This will be my last GMC vehicle. 2004 GMC Sierra with 60,000 miles developed 2 cracked cylinder heads and also need lifters replaced. $3600 repair bill. Called GMC to complain but they didn't care.

GREAT TRUCK
By ikeguy29 on 09/10/09 21:44 PM (PDT)

2004 GMC Sierra 1500 Extended Cab 4dr Extended Cab SLT 4WD SB (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

I drove this truck across the country, no problems and i had a trailer in pull. Maine to Washington. Very comfy and with a few add ons, the gas mileage for me is low 20's high way. 5.3L. Good truck, Recommend.

OK so Far
By mgandrew on 08/07/09 05:39 AM (PDT)

2004 GMC Sierra 1500 Extended Cab 4dr Extended Cab SLT 4WD SB (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

Bought used 117,000. Used a little oil and coolant would need irregular replenishing, odd. Every now and then a sticky lifter, then when I added Lucas to the oil all H--l broke loose, literally. Next oil change there was so much sludge in the sump the oil would not drained. Long story short, the sludge clogged the oil pump suction and w/o oil pressure things were not going to get any better. Found a used motor (100,000) miles, swapped out. Better engine, more power, no oil consumption, coolant OK. I'll probably drive this truck for another couple of years. I like it. I think the sludge was related to the coolant loss. As it was infiltrating the crank case and slowly evaporating out?

Best vehicle I've ever owned!
By John Z on 02/25/09 17:17 PM (PST)

2004 GMC Sierra 1500 Extended Cab 4dr Extended Cab Work Truck Rwd LB (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

Absolutely, without a doubt the best truck I will ever own! 168,000 highway miles. Just replaced the original brakes at 167,000. Regular maintenance, oil changes, fluids, etc every 3 to 5K. No bells and whistles, this is a work truck, a darned good one! I get about 19-20 mpg on highway, I'll take it and not look back. Forget interior/exterior design...who cares? I wanted dependability. I got it. A great truck!

Love my GMC
By Mac on 06/23/08 19:04 PM (PDT)

2004 GMC Sierra 1500 Extended Cab 4dr Extended Cab SLE Rwd LB (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

I purchased my Sierra new, now have 49000 miles. Have had a couple problems but the dealer took prompt, and courtious care of my truck. Fun to drive, looks great gas mileage isn't bad either. I keep the oil changed, and just installed a K&N air filter and will see if my MPG improves. Overall I would buy another one.

Update review - cold feet
By schodack bassman on 04/01/07 11:03 AM (PDT)

2004 GMC Sierra 1500 Extended Cab 4dr Extended Cab SLT 4WD SB (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

Overall I have been very happy with the truck. My feet get cold though from a draft. Couldn't figure out why until I noticed recently that the material over the fire while kind of melted away so the yellow insulation is now showing. May be why there is a draft in the cabin. Have almost 44K on truck and no major problems. Drive train noisy/clunky but very reliable. Only work is oil changes, just changed air filter, tighten emergency brake once a year and that's it. Next year might get a new one. MPG is not bad. For history of truck about 16.5. Around 18-19 on highway when keep 70 or under. Not bad. Truck still turns heads.

'04 Sierra
By Ed H. on 01/05/07 07:53 AM (PST)

2004 GMC Sierra 1500 Extended Cab 4dr Extended Cab SLE Rwd SB (4.8L 8cyl 4A)

I have enjoyed my truck from day one. Chose the GMC over the Chevy for front end styling. The color is Arrival blue and it has rear disc brakes, neither offered in the next year. The truck has had a few minor problems but it has all been covered by warrenty and the dealer has done a great job getting things fixed.

GMC Denali Quadrasteer
By Spurz on 10/09/06 15:17 PM (PDT)

2004 GMC Sierra 1500 Extended Cab 4dr Extended Cab Denali AWD SB (6.0L 8cyl 4A)

The GMC Denali provides a level of comfort and sophistication never available in a pick up truck. It offers the upscale appointments with comfortable, adjustable leather seats,the most advance drive train of any truck on the road, the convenience and security of OnStar, and the performance of GM's 6 litre engine. The manuverability is fantastic and a must if you are towing a boat or toy hauler or trying to fit in a tight parking spot. Excellent performance, refinement, and capability with the loan drawback being the poor gas mileage, which is to be expected.

2004 Sierra Graphite
By David Stevens on 06/25/06 17:18 PM (PDT)

2004 GMC Sierra 1500 Extended Cab 4dr Extended Cab SLE Rwd SB (4.8L 8cyl 4A)

This vehicle has been a total pleasure to drive. Except for a little wind noise in the rear doors which was quickly corrected, the vehicle has no flaws. Rotate tires and change oil and, of course, fill the tank and it is always ready to g. A great truck!