2002 Ford Windstar Minivan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Windstar model:
Not bad for the years
By FordNuts on 11/09/10 00:00 AM (PST)

2002 Ford Windstar Minivan SEL 4dr Minivan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

The SEL was the cat's meow back then, leather seats, VCR/CD combo, seats 6, slider doors. Over the years we took the car everywhere and it was fairly reliable, 167K miles. It's doesn't handle like a truck and offered smoother and quieter ride, but sometimes stressed systems wore down. Replaced heat coil 2X, alternator 1X, battery 2X, frt. brakes and tires 3-4 times, & one slider failed. Just brought in for recall(s) on the back axle and it failed. It supposedly is a fairly low percentage of failures, but could be catastrophic if your axle fails.

Transmission failure @ 85,000
By Tim on 05/28/10 14:41 PM (PDT)

2002 Ford Windstar Minivan SEL 4dr Minivan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

Bought it new as a dealer orphan and got a good deal. Have been satisfied with reliability, economy and utility until now. O/D light started flashing and check transmission warning came on. The dreaded Windstar tranny failure strikes. Very disappointing because we were hoping to push to 100k before major repairs. The van has been dealer maintained, garaged all its life, well cared for, and 50% of the mileage is long distance. We'll suck it in and pay $3k for a remanufactured tranny with 3yrs / 100k miles warranty. And then pray the engine isn't next. Time to start using high mileage additives for safety.

Apparently, I got a good one
By Family Guy on 08/29/09 12:10 PM (PDT)

2002 Ford Windstar Minivan SEL 4dr Minivan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

When our second child arrived I relented and purchased a minivan..Looked at several others but the Windstar SEL had the most room, the most luxurious interior, and because someone else ate the initial depreciation hit it was also the most reasonably priced for year/miles/options. I paid $9500 cash for our loaded SEL w/ 68K. In a little over 3 years of ownership and 33,000 miles I have replaced the following: Battery, Front tires, Temp sensor, and 1 headlight, that's it. Can't complain about $400 in repairs over a 3 year period. We are averaging 20.5 mpg since we got it and I see no need to replace it even though it just turned 100K. Treat it right and it will do the same to you~

Motor Fell Out At 86,000 Miles
By Bill Mack on 04/27/09 12:11 PM (PDT)

2002 Ford Windstar Minivan SEL 4dr Minivan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

I bought this Windstar van new & all went well till the Warrenty run out at 60,000 miles. Then the repairs started; Power stering,brakes,engine seals,rack & pinion,warnig lights not going off , set belt light...But the big problem come at 86,000 mi. The engine fell out! All the mounts let loose! So much collaterial damage ,it was not worth the repairs...lost trade in value & charged 6.9% interest on replacement vehicle. NO not the 0% Ford pushes on TV.

Over 5,000 in repairs.
By Larry Smith on 10/26/07 19:13 PM (PDT)

2002 Ford Windstar Minivan SEL 4dr Minivan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

Purchased this van new, at less than 50,000 miles, 3 engine seals had to be replaced due to leaking, also the torque converter had to be replaced and the A/C compressor had to be replaced. Today at 85,000 miles the transmission failed and the cost is estimated at over $2,500. I am retired on a fixed income and Ford is killing me.

Better than GM or Chrysler!
By PL on 11/05/06 11:28 AM (PST)

2002 Ford Windstar Minivan SEL 4dr Minivan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

Bought this after owning/driving Chevy Venture and Dodge Caravan. This was hands down a better van. Bigger, more power, better ride than the competition. Gas mileage less on the larger 3.8L engine, but significant power and better towing ability makes that negligible at 25mpg hi-way vs 28+ on the others with a small trailer. Loved it from day one and it still drives like new, turning 109,000 this week. Maintenance is easier on Windstar-easier oil/filter changes. Cabin air filter for allergy sufferers is good idea. Overall I would say 100% better than Venture and 50% better than Chrysler products. Looked at Honda, Hyundai before buying this. We have never regretted it a second!

It's O.K.
By jdc690 on 08/08/06 18:14 PM (PDT)

2002 Ford Windstar Minivan SEL 4dr Minivan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

I'm not a van lover but bought the Windstar so our son and his family could all fit in for short trips. Former owner obviously was not much interested in washing, waxing or vacuuming but it cleaned up pretty good and since I paid a pretty reasonable price I'm happy with it so far. Big gas hog (16 mpg) but so was the pick-up it replaced. The grandkids love the video player and after I bought headphones for them it's O.K. for us too. Still not a big fan of vans but I like this one as well as I'd like any. I've always had my best luck with Ford products.

Van Fan
By Mark Zehnpfennig on 06/02/06 08:39 AM (PDT)

2002 Ford Windstar Minivan SEL 4dr Minivan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

Setting aside a few minor quality issues this is a great minivan.

Good Van
By rhinobrecht on 03/03/05 12:19 PM (PST)

2002 Ford Windstar Minivan SEL 4dr Minivan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

The Windstar has been very reliable and enjoyable in general for us. The sliding doors tend to stick a little especially on cold mornings. The seats are very comfortable and the amenities are good for the money, I think. I believe the '02's only had the VHS (no DVD) available for the entertainment system so we opted not to get it. I wasn't overly impressed with the Chevy Venture in design or comfort for the same price (although they did have the DVD player). There have been minor problems, but overall it's been reliable and a great van for the family.

I love my van
By stempy on 10/25/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Ford Windstar Minivan SEL 4dr Minivan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

I have only had my van for about a month now but so far, we LOVE it. No problems whatsoever