2000 Ford Windstar Minivan Consumer Reviews 3

2000 Ford Windstar Minivan - Consumer Reviews

2000 Ford Windstar 3dr Minivan

View reviews for a specific Windstar model:
Bad job, Ford
By Karl on 12/02/07 05:41 AM (PST)

2000 Ford Windstar Minivan SE 4dr Minivan

Ongoing problems with this van, which now has about 70,000 miles. Have owned since new, with about $7,000 in unscheduled maintenance in 8 years. List of problems: driver seat motor, rear window motor, cooling system leak (despite regular maintenance), air conditioning, cruise control (twice), engine pings loudly, electric rear doors unreliable, rear stereo speaker connections bad. Have decided never to buy a Ford vehicle again.

No Problems
By No problem on 08/21/07 18:46 PM (PDT)

2000 Ford Windstar Minivan SEL 4dr Minivan

Bought it new in early 2001. Wife's car she's a lead foot. Very few problems, no engine or tranmission problems. Sliding doors need adjusting very couple years. We put 107500 miles in 6.5 years. Never broke down, if they still made them I'd buy another. We never missed an oil change or other service.

Whatever
By Familyman on 06/02/07 23:58 PM (PDT)

2000 Ford Windstar Minivan SE 4dr Minivan

Has 80,000mi now. Owned since it had 35,000. A lifter spring broke at idle in a drive through at about 45,000. Gets 13.6mpg in town. Paint flaking off and cracking on its own, terrible. Had the recalls fixed. Both auto front door locks need a new actuator. Engine was pinging with eng light on so had to have intake pulled and cleaned due to clogged egr passages thanks to poor valve cover design in which I also had to buy the new type. Rear side defogger quit working. Interior lights used to come on on thier own. Replaced rear shocks. For the money I can't complain as all vehicles have their problems. Who knows what the previous owners put it through. I'd still drive it cross country if need be.

Not bad - could be better
By Howard on 05/21/07 11:46 AM (PDT)

2000 Ford Windstar Minivan SE 4dr Minivan

Bought this car used in 2001. Have had only minor repair issues. Engine is powerful even when fully loaded and has been flawless. Great for hauling people, not stuff. Back seats don't fold down for additional storage room. They just sit there like lumps on a log. Not the nimblest at handling either.

Never buy a Ford!
By Disgusted on 04/17/07 13:54 PM (PDT)

2000 Ford Windstar Minivan SEL 4dr Minivan

Nice vehicle in terms of looks, comfort, safety and driveability. But it has been costly to maintain. Needed new tie rods, intake manifold developed a leak, new rotors, AC/heater control failed, blown head gasket. Over $8000 in repairs with 66000 miles. I have owned three Fords and all had major mechanical problems. That's three strikes in my book. I will never buy another Ford. I looked at an Odyssey but wanted to buy American. It's a national disgrace that they can't build a better vehicle.

Two lemons to make sour lemonade
By Gary on 03/28/07 17:15 PM (PDT)

2000 Ford Windstar Minivan SEL 4dr Minivan

The Windstar SEL was well equipped and it offered some means of comfort and style. The exterior looks very appealing, stylish and a real head turn kind of vehicle. Truly an amazing color and great color coordination plum and gray in color. Adequate power for a minivan and very responsive. But the transmission stinks! I went through two Windstars, both gave me transmission problems. The first Windstar was an SE version and it was rather roomy, as a matter of fact the 1995 SE was roomier than the 2000 SEL though it was an army green and gray I got used to it. The 95' SE was a joke as far as handling and power. Since the Windstar had such a great safety rating I bough another big mistake.

REALLY BAD DECISION!
By liz on 03/08/07 10:36 AM (PST)

2000 Ford Windstar Minivan SEL 4dr Minivan

Bought this car used at about 3yrs/36k miles. Checked all reviews for this year and they seemed great for reliability. After hitting close to 75k miles this car is a money pit. The emission control light keeps coming on and my mechanic can't seem to fix it. Every week it goes back with a different problem fixed related to this light. I am starting to feel the trans slipping...just great! Just what I need. At the time I bought it, I couldn't afford a used Honda minivan, now with all that I've spent in repairs and aggravation I could (and should) have purchased that Honda. There has to be some type of recall...this is ridiculous!

Ford Windstar
By nyjetsus on 03/04/07 16:47 PM (PST)

2000 Ford Windstar Minivan SE 4dr Minivan

Low mechanical quality makes this vehicle the worst Ford I have ever owned. Once factory warranty expired, the trouble began. Multiple breakdowns, including AC and transmission.

Ford is terrible
By David on 02/27/07 18:47 PM (PST)

2000 Ford Windstar Minivan SE 4dr Minivan

Original transmission replaced at 38,000 miles, replacement transmission had to be replaced at 43,000 miles, then motor broke at 92,000 miles. I will now be junking vehicle, not worth $3,800 repair estimate. Maintenance was performed regularly.

Good Bye Ford, Hello Nissan
By jon on 07/26/06 07:52 AM (PDT)

2000 Ford Windstar Minivan SE 4dr Minivan

I purchased my 2000 Windstar used 4 years old with 42000 miles on it in the hopes it would last me several years and provide dependable service. I have spent far more maintaining this vehicle than I would have with another vehicle. The transmission is slipping (75,000 miles), struts need replacing, power door locks not working, fuel economy is 17 mpg (which is harder to swallow closer to $3/ gallon) and vehicle has always had problems with alignments. The worst part is that given the dependability and performance of the Windstar, I'll lose a significant amount of money today as I trade it in on a (yes) foreign car to take advantage of the Japanese ability to build dependable vehicles that hold their value.