Used 2000 Ford Windstar Minivan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2000 Ford Windstar Minivan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Windstar model:

The Junker
By Tibz28

2000 Ford Windstar Minivan Limited 4dr Minivan

My family bought this car a a means of getting the family around with 5 people in my family we need the van. At frist it wasn't that bad. It made it from Michigan to Flordia and back when we bought it. Then about 3 years later we went on a trip to the Grand Canyon. Never made it though cause the trans started to go. Trans has been rebuilt twice. None of the doors lock. Have had new shocks put on about five times and it needs a new tie rod. Brakes work good. Has a load of electrical problems. In the end my parents ended up letting the van sit for about a year before they gave it to me for my frist car. I rolled the van and yet it stills runs, so the body is very durable. Is built like a tank.

The durablity of the body. We are going to use it in a private demo derby.

The trans and electrical and the doors all need to be fixed badly

Can't wait for the Sledge hammer
By zulubuff

2000 Ford Windstar Minivan SEL 4dr Minivan

This car was nice whe we first bought it. First signs of problems came when the check engine light came on and has remained on for 7 years. After 1 year, the paint started chipping. 6 years later, it is nicknamed brown top because of rust. Transmission is bad, replacing brake fluid is hard, cup holder fell off, radio no longer works. Indicator for lights and washer fluid come on for no reason. When it is warm, the guages dart around, so you never know how fast you are going or how much gas you have. Driver's side wiper is junk. Seatbelt didn't latch and had to be replaced. Heater/AC control replaced. Idle is rough, and when I turn or park, every looks because it is so loud.

Despite the 1000 things wrong with this car, I can still drive it to work.

Not to make minivans.

Run As Fast As You Can!
By Angry Dad

2000 Ford Windstar Minivan LX 3dr Minivan

Bought used in 2003 with 54k on it. I have paid double for this van. In five years I have rebuilt the entire steering system, including springs and struts. The tranny went out at 105K. The intake seals had to be redone. Every time I get my annual inspection it costs me $500-$700. The cost of inspection is only $65. Parts are expensive and do not last. This van has no battery or alternator lamps. Van will just die if you have an electrical problem. Left me stranded on vacation with my 3 kids on the highway. Now at 8 years old, the rocker panels and doors are rusted out. The side of my van looks like swiss cheese. I was advised to just drive it til it dies. Not worth repairing.

Color (Sage Green), comfortable and OK power.

Built better products. Ford thought they could fool people with the all new Ford Freestar in 2005. Same crappy van just different lights and dash. Ford just needs to go away. Every Ford I have owned stunk (Fairmont, Escort, Tempo, Windstar). Enough said.

Great Car
By 2windstar50

2000 Ford Windstar Minivan SE 4dr Minivan

I bought this car new because the last Windstar my family and I had, a 1995, blew a head gasket (first major problem). We loved it. This Windstar is excellent and there has only been one problem in 62,000 miles: the front passenger door lock doesn't work. This car is luxurious and one of the best.

Rear A/C control, CD player, power right side sliding door, very comfortable seats, third row seat can be moved to second row.

Too loud, some squeaks, suspension doesn't absorb very well.

Could have bought better
By Kim

2000 Ford Windstar Minivan 3dr Minivan

Overall I guess it's an OK van. Have had to do a lot of repairs the first year I had it, thank god for warranties. Mine has 133,000 miles on it now and it's still going. But in the last year, I've replaced: the abs sensor, 2 windshields, 2 sets of brakes, shocks and struts, spark plugs twice in 6 months time, t-clamp, camshaft sensor, belt, 2 water pumps, alternator, intake manifold, timing cover gasket, all the needed oil changes, and a transmission flush and fill. And it still had the vibrating start it has had since I bought it with no answer as to what's causing it. The passenger doors auto locks work when they want to. And the door ajar light is on more than it's off. Stinks to tow a pop-up with!.

Room, I have a large mobility scooter that fits in it well with the back seat removed. with no need to turn it sideways to fit. I can fit my small one in it sideways with the third seat in. I like that the windows and radio still work after shutting the car off.

Plastic on the interior in the back could be fitted a little better, mine doesn't match up. use a better plastic around the windshield, with time and the sun, mine is warped and made replacing the windshield hard.