Used 1999 Ford Windstar SE Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1999 Ford Windstar - Consumer Reviews

1999 Ford Windstar

View reviews for a specific Windstar model:

Windstar - Maybe it will get you there
By Nancy

1999 Ford Windstar SE 4dr Minivan

This van has been a total disappointment. We've had problem after problem, some of which left me stranded on the side of the road with my three kids in the car. Problems range from transmission to electrical to mechanical. Every problem that results in a visit to the Ford Service department takes days to fix. I bought the van because of the high safety rating - I didn't feel safe stuck in the breakdown down lane of I-95. I cheaped out and didn't buy the Toyota Sienna back in '99, I won't make the same mistake this time. I hear Ford is getting out of the minivan business due to lack of demand of minivans. They must mean lack of demand of their poorly built piece of garbage van.

Favorite Features

I like the room the van provides.

Suggested Improvements

STOP MAKING MINIVANS!

Never Again
By Karen E

1999 Ford Windstar SE 4dr Minivan

Worst, most unreliable vehicle ever. We are looking at cars and won't even consider Ford after our Windstar experience. Nearing 50K miles needed new transmission. Interior lights and locks don't work properly. Noises galore. Check engine light perpetually on - need to clear this for third time at 60K. Clunky metal squeak from rear of car. Windshield cracked twice above rearview mirror which kept falling off. Tires went bald at 20K. Nightmare.

Favorite Features

Roomy enough for kids.

Suggested Improvements

Clean up Ford from the top down or go out of business already. Put this company out of misery. This type of reputation is shameful.

Done With Fords
By Towers

1999 Ford Windstar SE 4dr Minivan

I needed a minivan because we were having twins. It was a great vehicle while the kids were infants. Easy to get babies into and out of the vehicle,and was roomy enough for everything. Too many problems were shared between me and another Windstar owner: both had idling problems in the morning; both have a transmission that slips; both have a stuck temp. control switch; and both have a check engine light due to a vacuum leak. It's a safe vehicle that is great on road trips, but it's time for a more reliable vehicle for me.

Favorite Features

Ease of entry and exit for the kids; captain chairs in the middle row; very smooth ride.

Suggested Improvements

More reliable transmission; hopefully they have addressed some of the engine issues.

Not a happy camper
By Not A happy camper

1999 Ford Windstar SE 4dr Minivan

New transmission at 37,000 miles; this was a nightmare since the new transmission still slips. New rack at 38,000. At 99,000 I am installing a newer used motor due to the loss of the original motor. I would drive this van off a cliff but can't find one high enough around here. I now have a new Toyota Tundra in the driveway.

Favorite Features

Nice seats and lots of room.

Suggested Improvements

Take some classes from a foreign automaker.

Excellent family car!
By Mima

1999 Ford Windstar SE 4dr Minivan

Excellent car for a family. Very reliable. Had great fun with a lot of trips with it. Good riding, like a newer car. Overall - very satisfied of it.

Favorite Features

Upper front console. A lot of storage places. Second sliding door. Ease to get in and out of the third row.

Suggested Improvements

Parking sensors. After all, it's a family car.