1999 Ford Windstar - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Windstar model:
My Ford Nightmare
By Ron Melancon on 07/08/05 23:00 PM (PDT)

1999 Ford Windstar SE 4dr Minivan

I bought a new 1999 Windstar and thank goodness I got the extended warranty. Because after 36,000 miles, every five months something has gone wrong. It has cost the warranty company over $18,000 dollars to date. It is so bad they did not offer to extend my coverage. Now the van has only 80,000 miles on it and my wife wants to get rid of it. Why in the world would anybody produce a car and have it break down so often? Here is some of what happened: 38,000 replaced transmission 42,000 replaced full rack and pinion steering 48,000 new head gasket 52,000 new left ball joint and strut, also checked weird thump on the driver side, did not find anything 58,000 new cold start valve.

FIX OR REPAIR DAILY (FORD)
By maryann on 06/20/05 11:24 AM (PDT)

1999 Ford Windstar SE 4dr Minivan

I thought I was getting something that would be comfortable for my family and I BUT... This vehicle has been nothing but TROUBLE. After buying the vehicle I had to replace the speedometer that cost me $1700. Oh and that was only after I bought the car and owned it for 3 months. Ok, so a year goes by and guess where my car is at the dealership once again with a problem they don't know! I can no longer tell how fast I am going because that don't work and how many miles my vehicle has. Oh and the ABS light is on and the air conditioning is no longer working. Check engine light on and they say it is an O2 sensor Ford Motor has had lots of complaints and won't recall it

Transmission Turmoil
By Bad Transmission 87K on 05/19/05 16:42 PM (PDT)

1999 Ford Windstar SE 4dr Minivan

I bought a '99 Windstar second hand. At 87,000 miles the transmission was replaced. Ford quoted me $2500. They ended up paying $700 of that due to my complaining. It is still jerking and snatching and I am too tired to take it back to the shop. As long as it gets me where I need to go, I will deal with it. Overall, I'm disappointed! I'm looking for a vehicle that is TOUGH and BUILT LIKE A ROCK! It was a roomy ride and my kids loved it, however, I'm, ready to give this minivan the boot. Not to mention that the check engine light stayed on and no one could figure out how to get it to go off.

Unreliable
By dsp on 04/22/05 17:33 PM (PDT)

1999 Ford Windstar SE 4dr Minivan

Bought off lease with 15,000 miles, ran fine until warranty ran out. Around 60,000 miles had constant check engine lights. Would replace one sensor and then the following week it would be another one. Power steering rack started going out and traded it for a Toyota Sienna. I hate to admit but I will never again buy another Ford product.

1999 Ford Windstar Van
By Jim on 02/26/05 08:52 AM (PST)

1999 Ford Windstar SE 4dr Minivan

We have had several problems with this vehicle. The paint started to flake off the roof at approximately 65,000K with Ford denying any widespread problems with paint. The electrical system has been problematic causing the dash to flicker and door locks to work erratically. The valves have made noise since we bought it, with Ford unable to find a problem. We have also had front suspension and power steering work. When called about the paint problems, the dealer said I would have to call Detroit...but claimed NOT to have Ford's 800 number! I AM THROUGH WITH FORD PRODUCTS!

Piece of junk!
By calfano on 12/14/04 16:18 PM (PST)

1999 Ford Windstar SE 4dr Minivan

We bought this as a 1 year old car. Got extended warrenty through 7/04. Three weeks later transmission went at 68,000 miles. Is in shop as we speak for the A/C problem. Constant alignment issues. Front end replaced. Back windows don't work. My dealership did pay for half of the transmission, but I was still out $1,200. My husband and I will NEVER own, drive or even ride in another Ford again. I don't care what kind it is. I have spent more than this is even worth! Ford, wake up and smell the coffee. Renaming it a "Freestar" doesn't fool anyone. The car is a piece of junk!

Don't buy Windstars
By Run away on 10/04/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Ford Windstar SE 4dr Minivan

We bought this car new in 1999, and thats where the trouble started. It didn't have all of the options we were led to believe (rear audio plate was on the car but there was no rear audio). Electrical glitches very early on. As soon as the warranty ran out, the steering rack needed replaced, radio which was never that good broke, and numerous electrical glitches. Air bag light spent more time on than off after fixing twice, just gave up. Torque converter went at 85000 miles and fixed. Transmission finally went at 95000 miles and the brake light started coming on and I am calling it quits. These are just the major problems. I am now donating this car to charity and I feel guilty.

It's a Ford...
By AlonSeal on 07/27/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Ford Windstar SE 4dr Minivan

If you buy a Ford, get a extended warranty. For $800+, it covered these out of warranty repairs... 1. Transmission 2. A/C Compressor and Evaporator 3. Strut bushing 4. Radio 5. Air Blend door motor combine valued over $5000. No, I won't buy a Ford again. In warranty repairs included 2 sensors, and intake manifold gasket.

junk
By scott4353425 on 07/16/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Ford Windstar SE 4dr Minivan

Head gasket and transmission both went. What else is there to say but don't buy one. I feel lucky, I got 84K on it before the tranny went.

Love my Van
By rachael on 07/07/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Ford Windstar SE 4dr Minivan

I LOVE my Van I hear all these bad storys and I wonder what do you do with your vans! This is not the Indy 500 for Windstars. I have never had a problem. It has only broke down once when my husband was driving it. So don't let guys drive a mom car. Would buy another one when this one dies.