1999 Ford Windstar - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Windstar model:
Poor quality and poor company
By Brad on 04/20/07 20:43 PM (PDT)

1999 Ford Windstar LX 3dr Minivan

This car is a good idea but poor execution. Transmission failed at 90k and is a known problem with this van. The check engine light comes on because of clogged EGR circiut . A/C blend louvers break, known problem. The worst thing is that you may have to get these fixed over and over again.

Mechanical design flaws
By Norma on 02/22/07 17:52 PM (PST)

1999 Ford Windstar SEL 4dr Minivan

There are design flaws in the oil pump that cause engine failure and the transmission is weak. Both had to be replaced BEFORE 100K miles.

Never buy a Ford again
By Chris on 01/19/07 20:34 PM (PST)

1999 Ford Windstar SEL 4dr Minivan

I grew up in a Ford city and a Ford family. Locks and doors don't work consistently, Check engine light is on constantly despite several thousand dollars and trips to multiple dealers; an independent finally told me Ford used inferior parts in the intake manifold, Ford is aware and has published tech bulletins but wouldn't offer to help. The dealers don't care anymore. Do not buy a Ford. I also bought a Lincoln LS, I got tired of visiting it and traded it for a BMW which has been extremely reliable.

Windstar - Maybe it will get you there
By Nancy on 01/12/07 07:36 AM (PST)

1999 Ford Windstar SE 4dr Minivan

This van has been a total disappointment. We've had problem after problem, some of which left me stranded on the side of the road with my three kids in the car. Problems range from transmission to electrical to mechanical. Every problem that results in a visit to the Ford Service department takes days to fix. I bought the van because of the high safety rating - I didn't feel safe stuck in the breakdown down lane of I-95. I cheaped out and didn't buy the Toyota Sienna back in '99, I won't make the same mistake this time. I hear Ford is getting out of the minivan business due to lack of demand of minivans. They must mean lack of demand of their poorly built piece of garbage van.

Never Again
By Karen E on 11/30/06 11:01 AM (PST)

1999 Ford Windstar SE 4dr Minivan

Worst, most unreliable vehicle ever. We are looking at cars and won't even consider Ford after our Windstar experience. Nearing 50K miles needed new transmission. Interior lights and locks don't work properly. Noises galore. Check engine light perpetually on - need to clear this for third time at 60K. Clunky metal squeak from rear of car. Windshield cracked twice above rearview mirror which kept falling off. Tires went bald at 20K. Nightmare.

Done With Fords
By Towers on 11/18/06 13:07 PM (PST)

1999 Ford Windstar SE 4dr Minivan

I needed a minivan because we were having twins. It was a great vehicle while the kids were infants. Easy to get babies into and out of the vehicle,and was roomy enough for everything. Too many problems were shared between me and another Windstar owner: both had idling problems in the morning; both have a transmission that slips; both have a stuck temp. control switch; and both have a check engine light due to a vacuum leak. It's a safe vehicle that is great on road trips, but it's time for a more reliable vehicle for me.

Not a happy camper
By Not A happy camper on 11/12/06 04:54 AM (PST)

1999 Ford Windstar SE 4dr Minivan

New transmission at 37,000 miles; this was a nightmare since the new transmission still slips. New rack at 38,000. At 99,000 I am installing a newer used motor due to the loss of the original motor. I would drive this van off a cliff but can't find one high enough around here. I now have a new Toyota Tundra in the driveway.

Excellent family car!
By Mima on 09/28/06 21:24 PM (PDT)

1999 Ford Windstar SE 4dr Minivan

Excellent car for a family. Very reliable. Had great fun with a lot of trips with it. Good riding, like a newer car. Overall - very satisfied of it.

Would not buy another
By kari on 07/08/06 08:20 AM (PDT)

1999 Ford Windstar SE 4dr Minivan

I hate this minivan! The gas mileage stinks! And we have tried to give it a tune up, but nothing works. On our best day we get 10mpg in town and like 16 highway. Will buy foreign next time for the better mpg. And I am an "American" car fan!

I like mine
By uaw2317 on 05/01/06 18:33 PM (PDT)

1999 Ford Windstar SE 4dr Minivan

Bought with 110,000 miles on it. It now has 125,000. I know that's not much for a review but I have had zero problems with mine. Not even an odd noise. And the paint still looks new.