1999 Ford Windstar - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Windstar model:
1999 Ford Windstar LX - 3 Door
By CCSM on 02/27/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1999 Ford Windstar LX 3dr Minivan

Bought it with 90K, five months later with 97K, have to replace intake manifold gasket, cost $435.

Windstar is Bad News
By Mike Harper on 02/25/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1999 Ford Windstar LX 3dr Minivan

The Windstar is the wordt vehicle I have ever owned. Ford has really designed and built a stinker and will not stand behind this piece of junk.

Out of my pocket!!
By Jeanine on 02/09/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1999 Ford Windstar SE 4dr Minivan

Wouldn't you know it, at 44,000 miles and less then three years just 8,000 miles after my warranty ended my power steering pump broke internally sending "shrap metal" into the power steering rack thus destorying that also. $1,130 out of my pocket. NEXT at 55,000 miles my transmission "died" on a on ramp. Aamco said oil shaft pump broke which killed torque converter. $2,170 out of my pocket. Calls to ford headheadquaters in detroit yelled no help or sympathy. Wouldn't buy another ford again if they where the last cars on earth!!!

Windstar SEL
By mpastick on 02/05/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1999 Ford Windstar SEL 4dr Minivan

I wouldn't trade this van for the world. The price was pricier but the SEL is a luxory van more than a mini van. Everyone compliments on the van. I've had no problems to date. I love it.

It's been a good vehicle
By rsknaub on 02/04/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1999 Ford Windstar SEL 4dr Minivan

This van has been very reliable and has only been in the shop twice for repairs in almost 100,000 miles. The first time was for a failed sensor which cost about $100. The second visit required a new intake manifold. That was a little more costly. However, it still runs great and I'm ready to get my second 100,000 miles on it. The biggest surprise is that everything still works after 3&1/2 years.

Windstar from hell
By purrsn on 01/30/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1999 Ford Windstar SEL 4dr Minivan

So far I have replaced: Intake manifold at 50000 miles, transmission at 60000, both front anti-lock brake systems. Non covered by Ford. At least it's comfortable while you wit for tow.

No More Windstars
By Glembi on 01/25/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1999 Ford Windstar SEL 4dr Minivan

Minivan started off great. At 10,000, both automatic doors stopped closing. Got constant engine knock. Lots of minor things happend but all covered under warrenty. At 40,000 miles, things really started to happen. CD player ate a CD and would not give it back. $300 to fix. $400 to replace. Upper manifold gasket went. Another $500. At 50,000, six seals around the bolts that attached the lower manifold to the engine went. Another $500. This week, the heating system deflector door went. $300 to get behind the dash. Another $350 to replace the part. Never have I owned a car that had as many problems at less that 60k miles.

stay away
By nomorefords-25 on 01/24/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1999 Ford Windstar SE 4dr Minivan

Bought from local ford dealer with 30,000 miles on the odometer. He gave us Ford's bmpr to bmpr warranty for 4yrs or 48,000 miles at cost...why? I now know-at 40,000 miles the tie rods went, at 50,000 miles the transmission went. Since new rear speakers work at their leasure and buy bulbs for the rear lights by the case, you will save $$ in the long run, they go every 3 months. Our van is loaded with 4drs, rear heat/ac, 10 disc changer,alloys,abs,etc- the van has depreciated $8,000+ in the last 14 months-there is a reason. Not worth the $$, there are better alternatives- find them.

Never buy a Ford again!
By tominVA on 12/29/02 00:00 AM (PST)

1999 Ford Windstar LX 3dr Minivan

Bottom line...LEMON! Just had the Transmission repaired for $1,060 on a 4 yr old vehicle w/ 71,000 miles! Mechanic said they don't this kind of failure on cars with 140000 miles! Spent the holidays driving the 1988 Camry I gave to my Dad when I bought this van (it has 150000 miles!) Have expierenced multiple little problems with the electrical system, doors, and idler control motor. All of which dealers say they find no problems. Have been religious with maintenance/tune ups expecting this car would last 7-8 yrs. I'm unloading this quickly and going back to a Toyota!

Quality is job....what?
By txarmadillo on 12/27/02 00:00 AM (PST)

1999 Ford Windstar LX 3dr Minivan

I bought my 99 Windstar used in Dec. 99 with 13000 miles on it and have loved it. I currently have 51300 miles on it with numerous problems. My check engine light came on so I took it to Honolulu Ford and spent $150 so they could tell me that my repairs will cost over $1100. The intake has to be fixed, one of my valve covers has to be replaced, 2 injectors are bad, spark plugs apparently need to be replaced, vacuum leaks, my right front wheel bearings are just about shot, and my tranny is acting funny. It has been in a few times for recalls. Other than that, the van has been good to us. I am so thankful I bought an extended warranty with my van.