Used 1999 Ford Windstar Minivan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1999 Ford Windstar - Consumer Reviews

1999 Ford Windstar Minivan

View reviews for a specific Windstar model:

Don't waste your money
By toomanyfords

1999 Ford Windstar Minivan LX 3dr Minivan

Purchased a used 99 in 2010 with about 100 k miles on it. Within a year the transmission went out. Had it rebuilt and it did fine after that. Bought it with a small oil leak and it burned more and more oil over the next 4 1/2 years until one day the engine seized out of nowhere at 145k miles. I have to say the engine held up for a long time with obvious issues before it finally quit. But... it did have the issues in the first place. Other than that, never had any other problems with it ( lol). My overall impression of this van... well it's not worth the couple thousand they go for used. Save your money.

Favorite Features

The a/c worked good

Suggested Improvements

Stop making them

Nice minivan
By yermom123

1999 Ford Windstar Minivan SE 4dr Minivan

Its a good car, when the transmission works. I have had to replace it 3 times. Honestly it drives really smooth! 200,000 miles and just took it to Nashville, Tennesse which is about a 12 hour drive from my house. Does well in the snow. I have had it for 14 years and no major problems except the tranny. It is very confortable. I am 6ft and 275 pounds and am very comfortable driving it. I feel really safe driving my kids in it with the triple 5 star crash test rating. Would recommend this vehicle, but make sure the tranny is good first!

Favorite Features

Heated seats

Suggested Improvements

Better transmission

MONEY PIT! PLEASE DONT BUY!
By chicmama004

1999 Ford Windstar Minivan LX 3dr Minivan

My husband and I bought this car at 90k miles. We have had nothing but trouble! This car was well maintained with records but around 100k the engine light came on and would not go off no matter what the mechanic fixed. We had to replace the water pump, timing belt and then 5k miles later another water pump. It drains batteries very fast. The worst thing is that the automatic doors jammed and now won't open its to much money to replace them so my kids climb over the front seats to get in the back. The horn quit working also the power locks. Now my mechanic is telling be the freeze plugs need to be replaced and the engine will have to be pulled out. 800 dollars for 49 cent plugs. Horrid!

Favorite Features

Nothing! Well it does have a lot of power driving uphill and passing other cars. Terrible handling in the snow. I have been stranded many times in just a foot of snow. Please don't waste your money buy something anything but this vechicle.

Suggested Improvements

Burn the design! Start over so faimlies can drive something reliable that won't fall appart when you are driving. Shame on you for making such a terrible car.

Transmission Nightmare!
By alkouv

1999 Ford Windstar Minivan LX 3dr Minivan

We bought this van with 66,000 miles on it. Once it hit 100,000 miles, it went to pot! We knew the air intake manifold was bad when we bought it, but the dealership gave us the runaround saying they didn't make them anymore so we couldn't get it replaced. Finally found someone to do it years later. It left us stranded in another state when tranny went out around 110,000 miles. B/t tranny and engine work, we spent over $3,000....and then less than a year later....it threw a rod! So to the junkyard it went. I was warned about these before buying them, and I wish I had listened. Please stay far away from these vans!

Stay away
By carboy6

1999 Ford Windstar Minivan SE 4dr Minivan

Transmission went out at 60k. Mechanic said he replaces a lot of ,particularly Windstar, tranny's. Have spent thousands on repairs. Got this car for free with only 12k on it. At first we didn't have any problems but that only lasted about 2 months. Had I known the quality of this model I would have bought my own car. Do not buy this van unless you like feeding mechanics families.