1999 Ford Windstar - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Windstar model:
Nice minivan
By yermom123 on 04/01/13 15:05 PM (PDT)

1999 Ford Windstar SE 4dr Minivan

Its a good car, when the transmission works. I have had to replace it 3 times. Honestly it drives really smooth! 200,000 miles and just took it to Nashville, Tennesse which is about a 12 hour drive from my house. Does well in the snow. I have had it for 14 years and no major problems except the tranny. It is very confortable. I am 6ft and 275 pounds and am very comfortable driving it. I feel really safe driving my kids in it with the triple 5 star crash test rating. Would recommend this vehicle, but make sure the tranny is good first!

Stay away
By carboy6 on 03/03/11 20:13 PM (PST)

1999 Ford Windstar SE 4dr Minivan

Transmission went out at 60k. Mechanic said he replaces a lot of ,particularly Windstar, tranny's. Have spent thousands on repairs. Got this car for free with only 12k on it. At first we didn't have any problems but that only lasted about 2 months. Had I known the quality of this model I would have bought my own car. Do not buy this van unless you like feeding mechanics families.

Sad to see it go!
By Goodall family on 08/06/10 00:21 AM (PDT)

1999 Ford Windstar SE 4dr Minivan

We have had our van for almost 9 years. Bought it with only about 32,000 miles on it. It now has just over 176,000 on it. The transmission is about to go out. We are now shopping for a used car. I will very much miss it! We haven't had to put much money into it, so overall it was definitely a good car for us. I am disappointed the transmission is going out. I would have kept this car much longer otherwise. It is comfortable, roomy and I feel very safe in it. It has had it's share of quirkiness though. We call it a "ghost car" as the interior lights will flash on and off sometimes and we have had lights on the dash go on and off but it would still run fine--didn't bother to have checked

engine light
By Eugene Stewart on 04/21/09 19:17 PM (PDT)

1999 Ford Windstar SE 4dr Minivan

Since i first had this van i loved it but know i just dont know? I had to replace the catatly conveter, manifold,oxygen sensor,all four of them witch is 200 a pieace,conveter was 800 maniford 120 and to put it on the machine and that was about 130 for a test yeah!!!! all n three month period all because the engine light keep coming on. i just cant win? plus it was time for and emmission test also .

Warning lights and rust galore
By Benzing Family on 02/09/09 12:56 PM (PST)

1999 Ford Windstar SE 4dr Minivan

We have owned this vehicle for 7 years and change the oil every 3,000 miles. We have had no major repairs. It has been very reliable. It has 163,000 miles on it and going strong. However, despite routine underbody flushes with a car wash, it is extremely rusty and it has eaten its way through completely under the driver side sliding door. Never mind the warning lights on the dash, it doesn't mean a thing. We have driven with the engine light, ABS light, and traction control light on for 3 years. When only the check engine light was on, the mechanic said "it shows its running lean". He said it would be reflecting in MPG.

A dangerous vehicle to own.
By Former Ford Man on 09/10/08 14:18 PM (PDT)

1999 Ford Windstar SE 4dr Minivan

This van started off serving us well but quickly became a nightmare. At 75k mi. the transmission failed requiring rebuild. At 85k mi, the speed control deactivation switch caused a fire at the ABS module while the vehicle was off and parked in the driveway. Along the way, electrical system issues caused the power windows, power door locks and horn to stop working. This vehicle has major electrical system flaws causing a dangerous safety issue!

Won't Make Same Mistake Again
By bill davis on 02/03/08 15:56 PM (PST)

1999 Ford Windstar SE 4dr Minivan

While the exterior design is very good and the interior is adequate the overall quality of this van is horrible. Shortly after purchasing it the transmission went out. It is extremely noisy on the road and in town. Idles rough, the service engine light and the ABS light stays on. The "door open" light stays on and the automatic locking system works intermittently. I wanted to but a Toyota or Honda but I let my wife talk me into this Ford because she liked the exterior better than than the Toyota/Honda. She agrees now that tis Ford has really lived up to its name "Found on road dead". Can't make this mistake again since the Windstar is no longer made which is a GOOD thing.

At what point should I scrap it?
By C Horton on 10/31/07 19:01 PM (PDT)

1999 Ford Windstar SE 4dr Minivan

We bought this from German friends who were returning back home. They kept detailed records and had every service done and every repair done imaginable. I figured we should have a good run. We bought it with 80k miles. After 2 1/2 years, with only 98k miles I've had to repace the transmission. The door locks never quite work and the check engine light goes on every and ever trip to the dealer/service station costs at least $600 to fix it. I'm crossing my fingers to get six more months out of it as the inspection comes up at that time. I'm fed up with all of the maintance costs for this poorly designed vehicle. Ford dealerships love all of the high margin work they get from this car.

Do not buy
By Terry on 08/27/07 19:07 PM (PDT)

1999 Ford Windstar SE 4dr Minivan

Bought van 5 years ago with around 50000 mi. 77000 on van now. Started while under warranty with check engine light had intake gaskets replaced and after warranty out same problem. Replaced o2 sensors and still have intake manifold leaks. Tranny out now. Suprised ford not richer with what they are selling. No help for the working guy. I also had door switch replaced at my cost. Good luck if you have one. Still debating on fixing tranny maybe I should get out while the getting is good

Ford Let Us Down.
By Martha on 04/23/07 16:24 PM (PDT)

1999 Ford Windstar SE 4dr Minivan

I love the body of this minivan. It is comfortable and has plenty of room! It is a great car to drive. Now that said mechanically it stinks. Ford knows all about this vehicles problems, O ring failure, transmission failure, O2 sensors failure, door sensor failure, driver side door lock failure and on and on. If we knew then what we know now we would never have bought this car. Fortunately we bought it used and still have not spent up to the new price. We put over $5,000 in repairs into this car over 6 years. I will think twice before I risk another Ford purchase.