Used 1999 Ford Windstar SE Consumer Reviews - 56 Car Reviews | Edmunds

1999 Ford Windstar - Consumer Reviews

1999 Ford Windstar

View reviews for a specific Windstar model:

Wouldn't buy another 99 Windstar!
By Rachelle

1999 Ford Windstar SE 4dr Minivan

Bought the van from an elderly couple with only 128k. Seemed great at the time. The blinker for some reason whenever you'd turn on the left one would flash a light on the dash like a bulb was out (it wasn't). No mechanics could figure out the problem. The heater fan quit working. Developed some electrical problem with the dome lights so when your driving at night they'd just randomly come on and stay on or sometimes they'd strobe. The back passenger door quit opening from the inside and would only unlock whenever it decided to. When the door wouldn't unlock you could not do it manually so the kids would have to climb through. Then around 140k the head gasket started leaking and between 140k and 150k the tranny just blew. I am a Ford lover all the way but they totally FAILED with this vehicle!

Nice minivan...but
By yermom123

1999 Ford Windstar SE 4dr Minivan

Its a good car, when the transmission works. I have had to replace it 3 times. Honestly it drives really smooth! 200,000 miles and just took it to Nashville, Tennesse which is about a 12 hour drive from my house. Does well in the snow. I have had it for 14 years and no major problems except the tranny. It is very confortable. I am 6ft and am very comfortable driving it. I feel really safe driving my kids in it with the triple 5 star crash test rating. Would recommend this vehicle, but make sure the tranny is good first!

Stay away
By carboy6

1999 Ford Windstar SE 4dr Minivan

Transmission went out at 60k. Mechanic said he replaces a lot of ,particularly Windstar, tranny's. Have spent thousands on repairs. Got this car for free with only 12k on it. At first we didn't have any problems but that only lasted about 2 months. Had I known the quality of this model I would have bought my own car. Do not buy this van unless you like feeding mechanics families.

Sad to see it go!
By Goodall family

1999 Ford Windstar SE 4dr Minivan

We have had our van for almost 9 years. Bought it with only about 32,000 miles on it. It now has just over 176,000 on it. The transmission is about to go out. We are now shopping for a used car. I will very much miss it! We haven't had to put much money into it, so overall it was definitely a good car for us. I am disappointed the transmission is going out. I would have kept this car much longer otherwise. It is comfortable, roomy and I feel very safe in it. It has had it's share of quirkiness though. We call it a "ghost car" as the interior lights will flash on and off sometimes and we have had lights on the dash go on and off but it would still run fine--didn't bother to have checked

removable second and third row seats (yes, they can be heavy, but don't remove that often--but has come in handy, don't have to rent a truck!

Why does Ford have so many transmission troubles? I had a Mercury Sable before which is basically a Ford Taurus that the transmission also went out I want to buy american, but they need to be reliable

engine light
By Eugene Stewart

1999 Ford Windstar SE 4dr Minivan

Since i first had this van i loved it but know i just dont know? I had to replace the catatly conveter, manifold,oxygen sensor,all four of them witch is 200 a pieace,conveter was 800 maniford 120 and to put it on the machine and that was about 130 for a test yeah!!!! all n three month period all because the engine light keep coming on. i just cant win? plus it was time for and emmission test also .

nice dash features