Used 1997 Ford Thunderbird LX Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1997 Ford Thunderbird - Consumer Reviews

1997 Ford Thunderbird

LX 3.8L V6 4-speed Automatic - (50 reviews )

Marks T-Bird
By mark lewis

1997 Ford Thunderbird LX 2dr Coupe

I an the only owner of this car and it has been a total gem for me. I have only had to do the expected maintenance on it in addition to replacing the radiator and exhaust manifold at about 75,000 miles. I recently replaced the serpentine belt and alternator. I use only premium fuel and have gotten from 21 to 26 mpg. I feel that my car is a classic and worth a lot more than what the book might say.

Favorite Features

I have really enjoyed the premium sound and CD player. Also the 12 way power drivers seat has made driving very comfortable.

1997 Thunderbird
By Kerry

1997 Ford Thunderbird LX 2dr Coupe

I drove this car for seven years without a single problem. I wish they still built this car. I would buy another one in a heartbeat. It has 154,000 miles on it and still rides, drives excellent.

Favorite Features

Ride quality.

Suggested Improvements

Start building them again.

Bluebird of Happiness
By bobbydee

1997 Ford Thunderbird LX 2dr Coupe

Bought the car because I had a '87 Bird and liked it. Also liked the metallic blue paint. Have been a road warrior in it for 8 years and love everything about it. Had to put a radiator in as well as normal maintenance, but nothing really major. I really wish I could buy a new one but the model line has gone away.

Favorite Features

Styling, size, RWD, comfort.

Suggested Improvements

They don't make it any more, so I don't think they will improve it much.

Sporty little car
By Angie

1997 Ford Thunderbird LX 2dr Coupe

We bought this car when it was about two years old. It had around 29,000 miles on it. My husband still has it and it is being handed down to my teenage daughter. My son put fake sporty things on the hood (I'm not into those things but it makes it look like the car has a powerful engine.) Anyway, my husband replaced the CD player with another one. Well, that was a mistake. Every time you went over a bump, it starts the music all over again. Anyway, this car has 87,000 miles on it now. The body of the car is pretty good still. No rust or anything like that. It has a moon roof (which isn't used much). We have had quite a few compliments on the car (one being a couple days ago).

Favorite Features

Good design.

Suggested Improvements

Better suspension. You feel every bump.

Best Value for Money
By CNN

1997 Ford Thunderbird LX 2dr Coupe

Bought it in 1997 brand new; fell in love with it on test drive; forgot about all the other cars I test drove. Very smooth, very comfortable, great looking car for a very reasonable price. At 7+ years, it still looks and feels new! This car has spoiled me. No trouble at all after all these years.

Favorite Features

No problems at all, good looks, super-smooth ride, leg room, lots of car for the price I paid.

Suggested Improvements

Dashboard is too plain; could use some upgrades, some pizazz!