Used 2002 Ford Taurus Wagon Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Ford Taurus - Consumer Reviews

2002 Ford Taurus Wagon

View reviews for a specific Taurus model:

Boring is good
By richard risatti

2002 Ford Taurus Wagon SE 4dr Wagon (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

This is my second Taurus and it's even more reliable than my 98 was. It has 114k on it and only problem was a starter at about 110k. The wagon is not as comfortable for a tall person as the sedan. Seems as though they had to move the seats up a little for more room in the back. Was the perfect car for servicing copiers, lots of room and easy access for parts, plus the door handles and locks have held up well on the job.

Favorite Features

Very reliable

Suggested Improvements

better defroster

It always starts!
By Kristen E.

2002 Ford Taurus Wagon SE 4dr Wagon (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

We purchased this car from the original owner. We have had to replace shocks, sway bars, and a wheel bearing at 100,000 miles and have had to machine the rotors twice over the past 25,000 miles. Other than the somewhat pricey repairs, we have enjoyed this car. Nothing special about it really, but it always turns over, even in our sub-zero Wisconsin winters. We have taken this car all over the Midwest, and it handles well on the Interstate, even in heavy snow. In fact, it handles the snow better than our AWD Trailblazer did. Our model definitely lacks in pick-up, but it's not like we bought a station wagon for sheer performance. As far as fuel economy, it beats any mini-van of that model year

Favorite Features

Third row seating.

Suggested Improvements

Separate comfort controls for driver and passenger, heat/air conditioning vents for that comfort of rear-seat passengers. With all the glass, this car gets HOT after sitting in the sun for any length of time.

Great Ford!
By Jonathan

2002 Ford Taurus Wagon SEL Deluxe 4dr Wagon (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I love the looks of this Ford Wagon design. It doesn't seem to age. The Gold color has grown on me, and now i like it. The car is reliable, excellent in all weather conditions (especially snow). Tons of room for kids, dump and coming home from Home Depot. Roof rack works excellent. It runs smoothly, I aways feel in control, has plenty of power when I need it. I'm bummed Ford no longer makes the wagon! I'd buy another in a second. I'd hightly recommend this wagon!

Favorite Features

The traction, the looks, the reliability, never needs much maintenance. Must have been a car not built on a Monday or Friday!

Suggested Improvements

Brakes have always seem to be noisy and not as smooth as they should be. Heat takes a while to get hot (in cold winter).

Great value for the money
By maryland mom

2002 Ford Taurus Wagon SEL Deluxe 4dr Wagon (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

My husband and I bought this car new in Dec. 2001, just before our first child was born. It's been a very functional, reliable car. Not sexy, but then again, no one will ever want to steal it. My husband's parents sold us a Chrysler T&C minivan, which we ended up using as our family car for two years. I preferred that for ease of getting kids in and out. But after the van was destroyed in a car accident we went back to the wagon, and it's quite nice. Also I noticed it's easier to fit groceries in the wagon than the van. No major repairs.

Favorite Features

Huge room in the back, optional third row rear-facing seat (wouldn't put a kid there, though). Power everything, leather seats. Nice, reliable ride. Nice 0 to 40 acceleration. Stable in winds, etc.

Suggested Improvements

Get the CD changer out of the back. I know this is moot since Taurus is discontnued. Better acceleration between 40 and 60.

Lots of Bang for the Buck
By Mike

2002 Ford Taurus Wagon SE 4dr Wagon (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

Bought this car used with 18K for $10,500. Car has 42K now and it has been a very reliable and solid car. No major problems so far. It rides great, solid feel, firm almost sporty handling for a wagon. Quiet on highway and good mpg. I average 22 city/hwy without trying. Looked at SUVs before buying but the price was about 5K more. I use it mostly for business, constantly loading paper in and out (I own a printing company). Even with 800lbs of paper it handles sound ly with no surprises.This car is not sexy or fast but if you want to get around with lots of stuff or a family and not spend a fortune then it's worth looking into. Overall I am very satisfied. This car is a good fit for my needs.

Favorite Features

Great seats, very comfy even after hours on the road. Interior is very large. I can hold more than some of my friends with SUVs can. Still quiet and solid with 42K, no rattles or shakes. I like the looks for a wagon. Lots of creature comforts, can't think of any other options that didn't come with car.

Suggested Improvements

Transmission shifts poorly, Talked to several techs at dealer and it's the nature of the beast. Most of the time it's fine but it seems confused now and then and can't find a happy spot. Guess I'm used to my Caravan. It's very smooth in comparison. Rest of the car is fine.