Used 2004 Ford Ranger SuperCab Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2004 Ford Ranger - Consumer Reviews

2004 Ford Ranger SuperCab

View reviews for a specific Ranger model:

Awesome
By Ford4v460

2004 Ford Ranger SuperCab 4dr SuperCab XLT FX4 Off-Road 4WD Styleside SB (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

Loved this vehicle since the day I bought it, had no problems with it. I live in an area where a 4x4 is a must and it doesn't miss a beat in mud or snow. The 4.0L is not as powerful as some of its competition but it fits the truck's size. A better pick than a full size pickup if you don't have a family.

Favorite Features

4.0L, interior style and comfort, looks.

Suggested Improvements

A few extra horsepower can't hurt, along with better fuel economy.

tough little truck
By tyrone buckets

2004 Ford Ranger SuperCab 2dr SuperCab XLT 4WD Styleside SB (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

It will never die cold or hot it starts. comfortable seats for long drives. Needs more room in the back for storage and seats. I have over 180,000 miles only needed to maintain truck. Nothing has gone wrong. I will get up to 355 miles on one tank.No speeding must dive a minimium 5-10 over speed limit Great MPGs.

Favorite Features

shift on fly 4x4, great mpgs, and reliable.

Suggested Improvements

needs more room in back at least 3-5 inches.Stronger arm rest.

Good Truck so far
By bigmc83

2004 Ford Ranger SuperCab 4dr SuperCab Edge 4WD Styleside SB (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

Edge 4wd Supercab with 4L/ 5 spd manual. Great truck overall, has not let me down until recently. Freeway driving is good, has hauled plenty of stuff. Kegs, plywood, mulch...it does it all with no complaints. Towed my boat this past summer which was borderline overweight, but it did it with no problems. Unfortunately now the clutch slave/master cylinder is going. It did this last year and had it "fixed" by dealership but now it is doing it again. $1000+ cost so far for new slave/master/clutch. Never had a problem when I drove to/from school and has been a great daily driver. First major problem. Done some offroading and snow driving and it tackles it with ease. Overall good truck!

Favorite Features

4 wheel drive is easy to use and pretty reliable. 4 dr extended cab is nice for storing stuff behind front seats. Good AC and heat and seats are fairly comfy and very durable fabric for dirty jobs. Rubber floor is much easier to clean/maintain vs. cloth floor. 4L V6 is a decent tower.

Suggested Improvements

Bigger engine package. If you plan to tow anything, get the automatic. A better manual transmission and clutch setup would be appreciated. Tape deck acts up when I use tape adapter with my satellite radio. Keeps reversing direction and ejects until it warms up

Repeat buyer
By ArkieDave

2004 Ford Ranger SuperCab 2dr SuperCab Edge Rwd Styleside SB (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

Learned my lesson with my first Ranger and got the super cab and 4L SOHC engine. Bucket seats are a big plus for comfort. This truck is fun to drive, unfaltering reliability, and reasonably economical for a vehicle with over 200 HP.

Favorite Features

4L SOHC 210 HP motor. Bucket Seats. A/C frosts the windows. No repairs in 6 years.

Suggested Improvements

Mine came with a 355 rear end gear which is great on the highway but a bit too high for heavier trailer towing and 5 speed. May not be a factor with auto transmission but 65-70 MPH falls between 4th and 5th gear in the manual and I don't like speeding with a heavy load and trailer. Get 373 gear for towing

Great Truck
By FordFan

2004 Ford Ranger SuperCab 2dr SuperCab XLT Rwd Styleside SB (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

I have worked for Dodge and Toyota, both of there trucks can't compare to the quality and performance in my opinion, to a Ford. I'm a Ford guy and there really is nothing better. I love the 4.0l, lots of torque. Yea it eats gas, but I didn't but a truck for gas mileage. I love it. Excellent job Mr. Ford

Favorite Features

The 4.0L V6, and it's a 4X4

Suggested Improvements

Needs SVT badge and a supercharger!