1997 Ford Ranger - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Ranger model:
Nothing nice
By Phet on 10/02/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Ford Ranger XLT 2dr Regular Cab SB

Check engine light on all the time. I have had it in twice hooked up to computers and they can't figure out why the engine light is on.

Great small truck
By rangerguy on 08/16/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Ford Ranger XL 2dr Extended Cab SB

Trouble free since we bought it. Great small truck that tows well. Would not hesitate to buy another ranger in the future

Dependable and Rugged
By FIlbert on 08/07/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Ford Ranger XLT 2dr Extended Cab SB

Have owned my truck for 6 years now; have had only a few minor electrical problems (display on digital clock is a little funny, interior lights delay a couple of seconds before going off upon door closing). A/C continues to work well. At 68,000 miles, still have the original brake pads and shoes. Sound system is also very impressive for a truck, as is the interior design. The truck still rides like a car - no wierd rattling noises or squeeks are present.

1997 Ford Ranger Pickup -4 cyl.
By SBF88 on 08/05/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Ford Ranger XL 2dr Regular Cab LB

This has been a very reliable vehicle which is fun to drive and well built. The Ranger is well designed and usually relatively easy to work on. Changing spark plugs and the PCV valve on the 4 cylinder engine tends to be difficult.The clutch is responsive and durable. The standard transmission is easy to shift and predictable.Body and hardware quality are good, as is the layout of the instrument cluster. The only repairs I have had to do (both warranteed) were repair muffler heatshield (broken welds) and replace catalytic converter (corrosion). In general, I am happy with the vehicle and have had trouble-free driving since I bought it new.

A Ranger named Pokey
By specialtychem on 06/08/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Ford Ranger XLT 2dr Regular Cab SB

I had a bad problem with the heater blend door when I first purchased my Ranger, but I engineered a repair for it that saved me close to $600 over the dealer charge. That is the good thing about the Ranger: it is fairly easy for a competent shade tree mechanic to work on. The basic vehicle is fairly bullet- proof and simple. The gas mileage is only so-so considering the extremely low level of performance. You time this Ranger with a calendar, not a stopwatch! Other than the lack of power, I have really enjoyed my little Ranger. My son will begin to drive soon and it will make an ideal starter vehicle for him.

Buy a Chevy
By edt on 06/06/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Ford Ranger XLT 2dr Extended Cab SB

Truck ran great for the first three years, then just about after the warranty ran out the check engine light came on. In the shop multiple times, damn thing just runs rough. Mileage sucks, too. Only about 15 mpg...and that's highway fellas!

Great Truck
By russ1a1hesston on 04/28/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Ford Ranger STX 2dr Extended Cab 4WD SB

I enjoy my Ranger. It has a V6 4.0L with 4 wheel drive. It's a little weak in acceleration but plenty of power for hauling a load. It pulls a heavy trailer load better than my V8 Jeep Grand Cherokee.

BIG BLUE DULL BUT RELIABLE
By TMR on 04/14/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Ford Ranger XLT 2dr Regular Cab 4WD SB

My desire was for high visibility and easy access. Couldn't afford an SUV so bought a basic Ford Ranger. I'm 6'3" and the cab and bench seat give the comfort of a full-size vehicle. Should have gotten speed control for longer drives (legroom is barely adequate for me) but Big Blue is a city truck and llong term comfort and fuel economy isn't a concern. The truck has had one major tune up and regular oil changes. Nothing else. The 97 2WD 4cyl Ranger is reportedly a reliable vehicle and has been so for me. No electrical issues. It's not been driven a lot but regularly and has never failed. Its' a solid and dependable basic set of wheels.

Ford has the best trucks hands down
By AndyTruck1 on 04/10/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Ford Ranger Splash 2dr Extended Cab Stepside SB

I now have 190000 miles and have only replaced clutches and normal wear. It has great power, better handleing and has never left me stranded. Anyone who says different is dumb.

Dependable Truck
By Cherie on 04/07/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Ford Ranger Splash 2dr Regular Cab Stepside SB

No mechanical problems. The only repair since purchase is to replace the heating element.