Used 1997 Ford Ranger Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1997 Ford Ranger - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Ranger model:

Love my Ranger
By Mark

1997 Ford Ranger XLT 2dr Extended Cab SB

My little 4 cylinder Ranger has moved me from NC to NY and back to NC. Hauled everything from couches (2 at a time) to camping gear to just me with no problems. This pickup is so easy to work with and on that it is a joy to own.

I don't have a favorite feature, they all compliment each other.

Make spark plugs easier to replace. That was my only problem.

Heads Up
By John

1997 Ford Ranger XL 2dr Extended Cab SB

I've had a lot of fun with this truck. But heads up on a few of the things listed below. I have owned it for 5 years and now have 120 thousand miles on it. I guess I can't be too hard on it.

Good pick up, flexibility of use, stereo, engine runs great!

HEATER CORE PROBLEM! I replaced it myself and still ended up spending around $500 and 15 hours on it. You have to remove the dash. Also, the gas mileage is like 15-17 Mpg. I want more from a little truck. Have had brake issues all along.

"97 XLT Ext Cab 4x4, 4.0V6, 5 Speed Auto
By Bill

1997 Ford Ranger XLT 2dr Extended Cab 4WD SB

I have had this truck for nearly 9 years and have driven it 78,000 miles. Some drive train problems which can be expensive to repair at a Ford dealership. Not the greatest truck but fairly reliable and functional. Very stiff suspension which was softened in 1998 model year. First year for 5 speed auto which has worked fine. Gas mileage is poor at 15-20 and it only gets 20 out on the road. It has been great for hauling dogs and hunting. Seats are not all that comfortable. Even though it has a 4.0 liter engine it only cranks 160 HP and 225 lb/ft torque. Dismal compared to the newer engines.

Favorite features I added myself. Bedliner, camper shell and Class III hitch. It will go just about anywhere if you have the correct tires for the job.

Better mileage. Better suspension.

Good Truck
By Ken

1997 Ford Ranger XLT 2dr Regular Cab SB

I purchased my 1997 Ranger new. I bought a compact 4 cylinder standard transmission truck I like. It's not a power, gas guzzling demon, like some of the V8 and V6 trucks I looked at. This truck has been reliable over the years and only had small problems. I had to replace the brakes, tires, and one oil seal in the rear axle. This Ranger rides like a truck on bumpy country roads, but on the interstate it's not bad. Still I know I'm driving a truck. The only complaint I've got is this: steep hills require downshifts, but it's only a 4 cylinder engine. I'll keep the Ranger till I have to junk it

Gas mileage for a truck and reliability.

None.

'97 Ford Ranger
By Sonny

1997 Ford Ranger Splash 2dr Extended Cab 4WD Stepside SB

150,000 miles plus! Engine going great, body stays in superb shape. Fun to drive and still looks great. Folks confuse it with a newer truck all the time. Great light duty truck.

Fantastic sound system. Nice V-6 to haul surprisingly heavy loads. Great body, the truck still looks sharp.

Wheel bearings! I have replaced these numerous times. Other than that, this is a fun truck.