Used 1992 Ford Ranger Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1992 Ford Ranger - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Ranger model:

Best small truck
By mycobrars

1992 Ford Ranger XLT 2dr Extended Cab SB

Excellent truck would buy another, I"m sure I'll make 200,000 mile no problem. Great on gas.

It's been a great truck
By Coby

1992 Ford Ranger XLT 2dr Regular Cab 4WD LB

I have had only two mechanical problems with it in 10 years. AC compressor and front locking hubs. The 2.9 liter 6 has always had enough power, and I do not understand why anyone needs the 4 liter engine. I get 22 mpg on the highway. (Automatic transmission). I have loaded this truck down on several occasions with no problem. Towing 2000 lbs you don't even know it's back there. I consistantly drive 5 hours at a time in it and my 6'2" frame gets a bit stiff, but no permanent damage. Other than change the fluids, I haven't done a thing to the engine in 95000 miles.

Heavy payload package. Ride clearance. Rides like a truck, not a car. Turning radius. Power steering. Always starts and goes. Great city and country truck.

Front automatic locking hub redesign.

okey dokey...except man. trans, AC
By boobi

1992 Ford Ranger XLT 2dr Extended Cab SB

I wanted a economical, low maintence rear wheel drive trk. majot maint at 165K, new frt end, all (radiator ect) new cooling system, 4 ac systems have died(Seems poor desgin, get extd warr for ac)lacks pwr for long hwy drives, mechanic and i did not realize that pulling out the(for clutch replacmnt) stick shift made it seem like transmission was dead, despite putting it back in. We were about to get a new trans before a better mechanic reinserted it the right way. gd brks,gd elect sys,ok paint, fluid leaks are prblm. Spare tire just rots on holder. little noisy,

Decent city ride, seats, height of truck, 20 gal fuel tnk,

I know some people have replaced the manual transmission due to poor understanding of a quirky stick shift mechanism, better gaskets, stainless steel water pump,child locks,

Good commuter, long bed
By L.A.Pierce

1992 Ford Ranger XLT 2dr Regular Cab LB

Truck has generally been good.Passenger window burst while under warranty, oil pan gasket slipped and need to be replaced, rear brakes exploded (spring?), easy fix, door pilar is rusting at base, fuel gauge is not working, original tires lasted a long time. Don't dare to use the spare as permanent tire since carrier cut into side of tire.

Small turning radius, easy parking, high seat makes for good visibility. Original radio works fine.

Gains horse power in cool weather, maybe cool the air to the engine in hot weather?

92 Ford Ranger XLT
By TedM

1992 Ford Ranger XLT 2dr Extended Cab SB

Had 162K before manual trans failed due to rubber boot that slowly leaked trans oil. Must check your trans oil periodically. Otherwise, the 3L engine is powerful and very reliable. Only did regular maintenance on it. Only install OEM fuel pump and not aftermarket. Try to cut thru bed or take off bed to access pump.