Used 2006 Ford Fusion Sedan Consumer Reviews - 297 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2006 Ford Fusion Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Fusion model:

NO MAJOR ISSUES - 10yr original owner
By physchic

2006 Ford Fusion Sedan SE 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 6A)

I purchased this car new in 2006 when I needed to trade in my mustang that was not so affordable while in college. This was not my choice vehicle, but the decent power was an acceptable transition from the GT power I was used to indulging in. I pushed the oil changes beyond to ~5k mi but regularly went with a synthetic oil option. I did maintenance at 80k mi and have it inspected periodically. It now has 140k mi and the recent full inspection from the dealership reported all areas in the green, including belts and hoses. That's the good. Here's the bad. Shortly after purchase, one of the rear inner door handles completely broke. They're made of plastic that isn't so durable. I should have taken it for repair under warranty, but didn't. Then, at ~80k mi, the front control arms needed to be replaced. This was a bit expensive... on the order of $1800. It wasn't a safety concern, but they were noisy. It was due to the rubber in the ends of each arm, which breaks down so it sounded like rubber rubbing together whenever the wheels were turned. That was a bummer, but I suppose the bad could have been much worse. The headliner has started to fall at the rear recently, so that will need repair next. Other than that, I've only needed to replace the brakes - which lasted >100k mi and tires. Overall it's been a great, reliable vehicle for the past decade!

Just hit 200,000
By Tyler Skaggs

2006 Ford Fusion Sedan SE 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 6A)

Bought the SE V6 in new. The v6 runs great and still does for me but I also do regular maintenance myself and change the oil every 3k on the dot. Keeping 34psi in all tires is so important for gas mileage as well. These cars can't and aren't made to be dogged and that is why people have rough shifting. It's all what you put into the car I just hit 200k and still have no issues with power loss, rough shifting and average 23mpg.

Good Car
By Samantha

2006 Ford Fusion Sedan SE 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 6A)

I purchased my 2006 ford fusion about 5 years ago with 60,000 miles on it. The car got me there and back a few places in Michigan. The only thing I have replaced on my car is tires, breaking, window regulator and oil changes. My check engine light comes on but i never had any problems with the car. The shifting in the car when it takes off fast because not coming to a complete stop it jumps or when it is cold. I have noticed that the 1st gear RPMs go to about 4 or 5 before shifting to 2nd. I have one slow oil leak that i have been putting Pennzoil high mileage oil in it to keep the leak slow. I changed the transmission fluid and it still seems to run the same. With Michigan weather good tires would be good to have but it gets through snow alright with cheap tires. The door handles are cheap and break and peal. My mileage now on my car is 135,000 and it still brings me there and back to different places in Michigan. It is a very good car that doesn't need much maintenance besides oil changes, tires and breaks. Very good car.

This is the best car I've ever owned
By Keith

2006 Ford Fusion Sedan SE 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 6A)

I bought this car at 34,000 in 2009. At the time I was a service technician and had to use my own car. Before the end of the 2 year mark I had put over 100,000 miles on this thing. I live in Ohio and drove this car to the Carolinas and Virginia beach annually, including a 24 hour straight drive to Texas and 24 hours straight back 3 days later and never felt worried about making it home. My point is, I beat up my vehicles and this has been a beast. AC failed around the 140,000 mark (didn't bother fixing it), I replaced the thermostat and drive belt at 150,000, at 210,000 the radiator and transmission cooler lines were replaced, driver side window regulator at 215,000 and now at 217,000 the transmission valve body needs to be replaced so I'm reluctantly trading it in before I press my luck any further. I can't talk much about labor cost because I do most of my own work, but replacement part costs aren't terrible (except the valve body). And even with the age of the car its still averaging 27mpg! My biggest cons are the cheap plastic door handles and the radio display has bad soldering causing it to blank out. Basically very minor things. Ford bought my favor back from GM with this car.

icm
By GiGi

2006 Ford Fusion Sedan S 4dr Sedan (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

Had months of idle rpms going crazy while engine hot or cold. Awful lot of talk about the problem over the internet.