A Transmission Too Soon
By fordo2 on
2012 Ford Focus Titanium 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 6AM)
This is my seventh new Ford product and I'm exceptionally disappointed with the engine/transmission. With 7,000 miles on it, the transmission is still shifting very hard and has not somoothed out like the dealer said it would. Quite possibly Ford put this on the street before the bugs were worked out. The engine runs exceptionally rough and another dealership said that all 4-bangers do that - my 2005 Focus didn't. I think dealerships are making up excuses because the quality of the car wasn't quite yet ready to hit the market. The one we test drove was much smoother than the one we ordred. Will Ford Motor Company ever make a car that doesn't rattle? Very disappointed! Fordo2
Favorite Features
The lift back is very functional. I'd suggest the exterior protection option or at least the clear plastic sheet that goes on the top of the reat bumper to protect the bumper as you set things down to get them into the trunk. Entry with the fob is convenient, but not in the cold with gloves on.
Suggested Improvements
The My Touch and Synch systems could be much more user friendly and I believe Ford has a change to that system which will be coming out on an MP3. The transmission/engine pairing is horrible. The dealers and the Ford web site says that it will smooth out in a few thousand miles, but after 7,000 mine still embarasses me with passengers. The engine stalls on rapid stops and hesitates on rapid accelerations - absolutely no guts and when it shifts, it's sometimes so hard that it's like someone hit you from behind.
By spinkix
on 04/19/12 09:20 AM (PDT)

My Focus seems to be very picky about gasoline. I live in So Cal where the gas is blended to reduce smog, and has 10% ethanol plus oxygenates. Using 87 octane it stumbled, rough idle, inconsistent acceleration. I found my car runs better with premium, and the gas mileage improvement makes up for the 20 cents price difference. Also I use a top tier gas - http://www.toptiergas.com/retailers.html

By unfocused1
on 02/29/12 16:00 PM (PST)

I love Ford's automobiles. I went from a Subaru to a 2009 Focus. Because I bought in haste in 2009 (no ABS/traction control), I went and bought a 2012 Focus with ABS/traction control. The braking is much improved (regular braking, not ABS) but the 09 model had a very solid engine and transmission (both US-made). It never rattled... That's not good, if the engine completely stalls... I have felt some hesitating on very rapid accelerations, but I've only driven the car for 150 miles so far. I've read enough reviews to know that there *could* be transmission issues in the future. (Even if major issues prior to 8/2011 had been fixed, still worry - did you get your Focus before 8/2011? Check for a TSB or recall...) If there are problems, the warranty should cover and replace anything needed, but it's unfortunate these issues have happened...

By cherryfan
on 03/16/12 21:10 PM (PDT)

As previous posted hinted, ask the dealer to update the programming on the tranny. There have been two updates since Aug. 2011, and I'll bet there are more to come. Programming can make a big difference. Hang in there!