2003 Ford Focus Consumer Review: 2003 Competition Orange SVT 2

2003 Ford Focus SVT - Consumer Review

2003 Competition Orange SVT 2 door hatch
By Marc Ceniceros on

2003 Ford Focus SVT 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 6M)

Love the Comp. Orange color, always the only 1 in a parking lot. The car is about balance. Adequate acceleration, good grip, excellent handling, fantastic brakes. I don't trust my Ford dealer so have not had the clutch knocking fixed but it continues to function otherwise so I'll wait to repair it. Euro package brings nice accessories, but body treatment adds useless weight to a car already weak on torque. I'd trade 15/20 Bhp for 5/10 more lbs./ft. Base car weighs less than SVT! Wrong. I'm 70" tall and my hair rubs the sunroof. Wish it had 16" wheels for improved ride/comfort without diminishing the turn in. 45 series rubber is ridiculous off track. Car is noisy on many surfaces.

Favorite Features

The brakes! The handling. The balance. HID headlights. Competition orange color. Routinely get 30 mpg. Exclusivity. But ultimately the essence of this car is balance.

Suggested Improvements

When down, the windows rattle when closing the door. Makes the car seem cheap. The Recaros are nice but sit higher in the car than the base car's seats. Wrong! In a performance car a lower center of gravity should be expected. Door pockets could be deeper so stuff doesn't fall in the street. Quieter, please!