2005 Ford Five Hundred Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Five Hundred model:
GREAT Car ... either for the price or even more
By abacuses on 08/29/12 12:59 PM (PDT)

2005 Ford Five Hundred Sedan SEL Fwd 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 6A)

I hit 110,000 this week and figured I would sing some praises after reading some of the other issues. 1st, the "downside." This car goes through the brakes. My dealer said that Volvo's are known for their safety; with that comes hard wear on the brake pads. Yes, this has the Volvo engine in it. I'm on my 5th set of pads and 2nd set of rotors. I started noticing a little bucking in drive-thru line s and traffic jams ... always when the AC is on. Otherwise, no issues whatsoever and this has been my favorite car ever. I'm not a fan of the new Taurus, but I do love the Ford Edge. I continue to have great experiences with my Fords ... TAKE CARE OF THEM and they will do the same for you too.

transmission
By diane on 04/22/10 07:11 AM (PDT)

2005 Ford Five Hundred Sedan SEL Fwd 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 6A)

well, all i can say is i thought this was my car of choice.only owned for 2 yrs and transmission went out. dealer states "oh, you will love the 6 speed transmission".it does have 70,000 miles but i have never ever nor my husband had this happen with a vehicle before.we did call dealer and ford customer service but we got no where with them! we were going to buy a new taurus or fusion but you could't GIVE me one now and that is what we told dealer and ford.very very ashamed of ford.we wlii buy a honda!!

I Love My Ford 500
By Linda C on 03/07/10 18:54 PM (PST)

2005 Ford Five Hundred Sedan SEL Fwd 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 6A)

I bought my Ford 500 brand new from the showroom floor. I love the fact that I got the 5 year bumper to bumper warranty on it. What ever minor things went wrong. Ford authorized repair fixed it free of charge. Now that my warranty is up, I bought the extended 3 year warranty which covers over 500 components from the engine & transmission to the radio. Love my car. I wish they had made a 2010 version of it. Love the fact also that there aren't many on the road that I see and I'm always asked " What kind of car is that?" Overall performance in my opinion for my Ford 500 is just about a 10. Love it....Love it...Love it !!!

Best Car Ever
By Peter on 08/23/08 11:57 AM (PDT)

2005 Ford Five Hundred Sedan SEL Fwd 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 6A)

Our 2005 Five Hundred has been an exceptional vehicle. We've driven it to Florida from New York and had it at 29.5 mpg on the trip. A full tankful gave us over 600 miles of driving. The same is true on our semi-annual drives to Virginia to see family. No stops for fuel for a 520 mile trip is refreshing. Our overal mpg is 25-26 during our daily driving. It's a smooth ride and the roominess inside and in the cargo area are unequalled. I've purchased 32 cars in the past 37 years for the family and myself and this one is definitely the best purchase, by far.

I miss my 02 SEL Taurus
By Vincent on 12/29/07 12:05 PM (PST)

2005 Ford Five Hundred Sedan SEL Fwd 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 6A)

This vehicle dosn't have the power of my 02 Sel Taurus, you would think having the same motor this car would fly like the Taurus. The 3.0 Duratec in my Taurus would give you whiplash, but not my Five Hundred. The inteior isn't as roomy either, but I'll get use to it. If your tall don't get a Five Hundred without adjustable pedals, the seats don't go back far. I do like the message center, it can be convienent. The Audiophile stereo is better than The Mach that was in the Taurus. It handles pretty good, It has better tires than the Taurus (Continental's) which don't last very long. This car is new for me, bought it used, it's loaded and I'm sure in due time I'll own an 08 Taurus Limited.

Easily most comfy car I've ever driven..
By Larry on 10/11/07 01:46 AM (PDT)

2005 Ford Five Hundred Sedan SEL Fwd 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 6A)

I've bought a few new cars in my life, but buying this 2005 Ford 500 in 2007 may be my best car purchase ever. Has a nicer, more comfy car ever been built? I say, "no."

Nice Car
By DaveInNC on 03/11/07 08:26 AM (PDT)

2005 Ford Five Hundred Sedan SEL Fwd 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 6A)

We have had our SEL FWD for 14 months now and have driven it about 12000 miles. We have three cars, so this one isn't driven every day, but we are always sure to take this one when we go on longer trips because it is very comfortable and gets good mileage. When cruising on the freeway, this car is quiet and smooth, but the engine is a little bit noisy under brisk acceleration. The 6-speed transmission behaves well and helps the somewhat underpowered 3.0L engine performs as well as it possibly can. The car has been very reliable so far, but I have had to take it to the shop for rear suspension noise (brake cable grommet) and to have a new dash storage compartment lid installed (bubbles).

Bad brakes
By Sif2b on 01/26/07 12:11 PM (PST)

2005 Ford Five Hundred Sedan SEL Fwd 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 6A)

I love my 2005 Ford 500 and have had nothing but great things to say about it until now. I take it in to the shop every 3,000 miles or so for servicing to include tire rotation, brake check, etc. I took it in at 20,227 miles only to be informed that my rear brakes and rotors were shot and needed to be replaced. Another 2005 Ford 500 was in the shop the same day and that owner was told the same thing about their car. 3000 miles ago my brakes were good. From what I've been able to find out, this brake problem seems to be a not-so-uncommon story with the 2005 Ford 500. Anyone who has had this problem should contact Ford Motor Company.

Love This Car
By Jim Whalen on 01/11/07 19:55 PM (PST)

2005 Ford Five Hundred Sedan SEL Fwd 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 6A)

Have 20,000 miles on car. It is large, safe and economical. Six speed auto transmission gives performance that is more than adequate but not a roadburner. City 23 mpg, highway 27-29 mpg on regular gas. Very happy with car.

Mom of 2 in MI
By Fordwife on 12/27/06 13:07 PM (PST)

2005 Ford Five Hundred Sedan SEL Fwd 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 6A)

I have had this car for 18 months and love most everything about it. With 40,000 highway miles I have had plenty of time to drive it. My biggest complaint is the brakes had to be replaced at 30,000 miles at at cost of almost $400. I was not happy. One minor recall to date and the dash is bubbling a little. This car has been driven from Michigan to Florida with absolutely no problems. Very comfortable in the rear seat for my two children. Gas mileage is respectable and the trunk size is awesome - no more borrowing my husbands F-150. Overall, very nice car.