Used 1992 Ford F-150 Regular Cab Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific F-150 model:

My Iron Maiden
By Sarah G.

1992 Ford F-150 Regular Cab XL 2dr Regular Cab LB

Was a bit skeptical upon purchasing vehicle. The two American vehicles I owned previous were junk, including a Ford Taurus. Bought for the straight six motor. Proved to be a very reliable vehicle. I drove it only sporadically because it was my 2nd vehicle. Started up everytime, even during the coldest New England mornings. I replaced the battery and oil pan during the time I owned it (both were pretty old). Was just about as reliable as my '93 Honda Civic. I'm kicking myself for selling it, I would buy another in a heartbeat.

Favorite Features

Reliability, the solid feel of it (nice heavy metal thud when I closed the door), dual gas tanks. Horsepower suited my needs just fine, as I never did any heavy towing.

Suggested Improvements

Gas mileage, But I've heard the the 300ci engine block was heavy anyway. Other than that, I don't think I would change a thing.

I Love my FlareSide
By Louie

1992 Ford F-150 Regular Cab XLT Lariat 2dr Regular Cab 4WD Stepside SB

I reccived this as my first truck when I turned 16. My dad purchased a brand new Ford FlareSide 4x4 with a mighty 5.8L V8 motor. I love it, the only problems that need to be fixed in the next some odd miles is the Transmission (234823). Speed is there when you need it and the stock dual exhaust is loud. Bumps, mud, water, and sand can't hold this truck back. The cab is a bit small for a 6ft tall guy. I replaced the stock sound system with a Sony XPLOD complete system. Seat belts stop locking after a while and need to be replaced. AC Compressor shreds belts after a hundred miles so thats on a list for me to find. Over all this truck is fast and powerful beast

Favorite Features

5.8L V8 4x4. Speed is there if I needed. Just plain old powerful

Suggested Improvements

New AC compressor, transmission after 200k, seat belts, sound system, HID headlights

F.O.R.D.
By jazzbeau

1992 Ford F-150 Regular Cab 2dr Regular Cab SB

I bought this truck new,and it was fine until the odometer hit 39k miles. Then prematurely, the power steering pump went south! Of course Ford turned their back on me, that soon after the expiration of the warranty. So, $380 later I can steer like I should be able to. At 65k, all of the steering parts needed to be replaced. Then finally at 81k the transmission went, taking with it the radiator and transmission cooler. Seems it was a defective transmission, as it never shifted right. The dealer said that was normal lol ... and then the lines all plugged up from this type of premature wear. I later found out that this was a common problem on Ford AOD trannies. I'll never buy another Ford again! Fix Or Repair Daily.

Favorite Features

Torquey motor - bullet proof it seemed. But the rear main knocked a lot. Was never a real problem though. Was again told that was a commonality of this motor. Had decent mpg for a full size truck. At 60 mph, I registered 19.4 mpg on a 250 mile trip. My average mpg was between 14 and 18 overall - not bad!

Suggested Improvements

Just the overall lack of quality. Ford really needs to look at their products and start putting some quality back in their designs. To have the problems I had after having all maintenance requirements fulfilled is a sad and expensive lesson. Shame on you F.O.R.D.

great truck
By trk2621

1992 Ford F-150 Regular Cab XLT Lariat 2dr Regular Cab Stepside SB

I've had my pickup for almost 2 years now, and I had no problems at all. It runs and looks fine!

Favorite Features

Good body style, and reliablity.

Suggested Improvements

Better gas milage and a bit more horsepower(5.0)

Great work truck
By couleeman

1992 Ford F-150 Regular Cab XLT Lariat 2dr Regular Cab SB

This is a great work truck. You cannot kill it. I have the 300-6 with the 5 speed, and put on alot of miles on a year with no problems yet.

Favorite Features

Solid axle front end. I do alot of off road work so this is a must.

Suggested Improvements

Stock rear springs were weak, I have already replaced them when I put on the lift kit.