1996 Ford Explorer - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Explorer model:
Ok drive, but not reliable
By mattathayde on 06/04/08 18:54 PM (PDT)

1996 Ford Explorer Sport 2dr SUV

Got this car from my sister in 05 for free, just paid to ship, ok not bad at all 900 bucks. Had to put 4- 500 bucks into it for repairs. A/C, alignment, brakes. Nothing huge. Now the Explorer has a little bump and dip if you turn it hard right because inside the front wheel well the cloth material that blocks a lot of dirt from getting up into the engine well is ripped and catches the wheel a little. Drive it for about a year, the coolant system started to leak, had to get that fixed, had to get an O2 sensor replaced. Some other repairs. Now we have about 3-5000 worth of repairs needed on it- electrical issues, ac is broken, driving lights go out some times. I didn't abuse it.

Solid
By Hubbell on 04/24/08 02:19 AM (PDT)

1996 Ford Explorer XLT 4dr SUV 4WD

Purchased new in 1996 it is my wife's primary vehicle it has been driven across the US twice hauling trailers from 3-5K both times.

Almost 300,000 and Still Going
By philzleads on 04/11/08 20:46 PM (PDT)

1996 Ford Explorer XLT 4dr SUV 4WD

Bought the vehicle new in 1996. Mileage is now at 291,942. Just had the transmission rebuilt. The vehicle miles are mostly hiway miles. I have had the alternator replaced as well as the transfer case. Original exhaust, which needs some work as the bolt-on joints are rusted. Compressor for AC is not working, but I only use the vehicle for truck like duties, I dont mind. Use it mostly in winter/Fall for hunting trips. The temp gauge on the dash no longer works so either full heat or no heat. I have had to replace the bulbs in the dash behind the intrument panel numerous times. The engine, incredibly does not use oil as I have maintained it diligently. 6th set of tires.

Best Car I Have Owned
By CAROL on 03/26/08 17:21 PM (PDT)

1996 Ford Explorer XLT 4dr SUV 4WD

I bought this car 5 years ago from an individual that bought it new. My Ford Explorer now has right at 300,000 miles on it . You read right - 300,000 miles. We still take off on 4 hour one way trips all the time. The check engine light stays on a lot but I have gotten used to it as the car still runs perfect. We drove it on a 4 hour trip this past weekend and it brought us home as always with no problems. I love my Ford Explorer and all the extras it has such as the keyless entry, temperature and compass. I would recommend this car to my best friend

What a great vehicle!
By Great Vehicle on 01/30/08 07:45 AM (PST)

1996 Ford Explorer XLT 4dr SUV 4WD

I have owned many automobiles over the years and this one is by far the most reliable. It now has about 170,000 miles on it and has never needed anything outside of the typical routine maintenance schedule. The 4.0L is not the greatest on gas (although I have seen as high as 19-20 MPG on long trips) it shows no signs of tiring anytime soon. Still has the original exhaust sytem! Amazing. While the vehicle has just started to rust a bit, I cannot let go yet to buy a new vehicle. It is nearly worthless on the books as a trade. I will probably drive this until the body falls off! Sure home my next purchase treats me as well. Great job Ford!

One long time owner
By TS on 01/12/08 07:36 AM (PST)

1996 Ford Explorer XLT 4dr SUV 4WD

I've owned my Explorer for almost 12 years now, since new. It has nearly 150,000 miles on it. It's been very reliable, requiring less than the normal amount of maintenance of other vehicles I've owned. It's now my extra third vehicle, and I use it often for truck like duties such as trailer hauling and moving my daughter to and from college. If and when I need a new SUV, it'll be another Explorer, a true truck SUV.

SUV Self-Cannibalism
By Angelos on 10/09/07 13:59 PM (PDT)

1996 Ford Explorer XLT 4dr SUV 4WD

In 12 years and 115K miles of not-so-hard driving, our $36,000 Exploder has eaten its transmission, eaten its torque converter, has blown out its manifold gaskets and has cracked a cylinder head. I expect to replace items such as starters, alternators, shocks, even Air Mass Meters and O2 sensors. But I cannot abide a vehicle that self-destructs major systems years and tens of thousands of miles before the end of their standard service lives under relatively easy use. If I could sell our Exploder to the Marines to use for target practice, I'd do it in a New York minute.

Great Vehicle
By Dan Giesen on 09/26/07 18:31 PM (PDT)

1996 Ford Explorer XLT 4dr SUV 4WD

I drive this to work all week. Pull our boat all summer and haul my hockey player all over Wisconsin in the winter. The Ford Explorer is by far the best SUV out there.

Had it since new stil like new
By sealerdave on 08/01/07 13:48 PM (PDT)

1996 Ford Explorer XLT 4dr SUV 4WD

We bought our 1996 Explorer new in 1996 we have had no trouble at all except the panel on the drivers side electronic buttons broke I bought the mount and fixed it. Really my wife will not drive the 2005 I bought last year. She likes "Her Baby" with 55,000 miles on it. After 11 years in CA, I guess it's just about "Run In". Great SUV's very dependable. Not a bit of rust and never a scratch.

A Plum
By CarD on 05/30/07 06:26 AM (PDT)

1996 Ford Explorer Sport 2dr SUV

This vehicle has never caused me the slightest heartache or problem. Beyond the expected ravages of time (hoses, slight rust, etc.) I have never had a mechanical or performance issue.