1995 Ford Explorer Sport Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1995 Ford Explorer - Consumer Reviews

1995 Explorer Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Explorer model:

Sort Reviews by

Only negative is you can't rent a trailer.
By bethdriver

1995 Ford Explorer Expedition 2dr SUV 4WD

I love my 1995. I bought it ten years ago and paid $3,000 for it. In ten years I've replaced brakes, tires, driver window electric motor. The only problem I've had is with the dash lights (the lower half won't light up and even though I took it to a dealership and they "fixed" them...a month later they quit working again and the dealership would not fix them for free so I said screw it. The only other issue is that at about 180,000 miles, the OD light started blinking and it would not go into reverse, and it was chunking hard into lower gears. I was told new transmission was needed. Nope. Just a new VSS and clear the codes, and another 40,000 miles later, still going strong!

Favorite Features

Soft, comfy seats, great heater and a/c. Sits high so you can see over other cars. Huge cargo area, carries anything you want. Love the side step to get in. Love the push button lock on the door. Love the 20mpg gas mileage. Love the sun roof! LOVE how it goes in the snow and how well the auto 4WD works! Love this vehicle in almost all ways. Love how the paint always looks like its just been waxed. Love the cute wheel design.

Suggested Improvements

Ford screwed up on the design - and no one will rent you a trailer of any kind. Sucks, since this vehicle came with a tow package. It is pretty squirrley in strong wind....I used to have a trans am, and you could face gale force winds at 70mph and not even feel them. This...well, I got stopped by a cop once on the long highway stretch going home cuz he thought I was drunk. Nope...just unable to keep the SUV in a straight line in the wind. - Just a note. I used to drag race in my younger days - I was a tomboy, worked on my own 69 Mustang. I know my cars....

1995 explorer V6 automatic
By rvanderaa

1995 Ford Explorer XL 4dr SUV 4WD

I bought this car with 135K miles in 2000 for $5000 from my wife’s employer. It had been a fleet vehicle at a construction company. We drove it until it had 250K miles on it. The only maintenance item was a fuel pump ($360.00 installed at private garage) and then normal wear items of shocks, tires and breaks. We sold it to some friends for $900 when the transfer case started leaking oil, informing them that they would have to add oil occasionally. I now wish I had rebuilt the transfer case as they are still driving it with over 300Kmiles on it and just occasionally put oil in the transfer case. They still have not done any more maintenance on it.

Favorite Features

Fuel economy about 20 mpg Ride comfort Reliability

Suggested Improvements

None, it is a great vehicle

Transmission
By explorerisjunk

1995 Ford Explorer XLT 4dr SUV 4WD

There is no option for me to list my model. It is a 1995 Ford Explorer XLT 4.0L 4x4 V6 with automatic transmission. Transmission is junk in this vehicle--goes way too premature in the life of the vehicle no matter if you have driven on or off the road. Ford is getting ready to have a lawsuit slapped on them if they do not accept my request for a goodwill repair.

Favorite Features

none

Suggested Improvements

Ford should build stronger transmission, especially for the [included] towing-package that comes with the XLT version.

Affrordably Tough
By Family Man

1995 Ford Explorer XLT 4dr SUV 4WD

Bought this used in 5/2010 with 163,000 mi. Two previous owners who'd taken great care and kept on top of all maintenance. So far 3,000 mi and only hub bearings and pad/rotor wear. Window motor went out found a Ford specialist mechanic cheap and honest! Impossible to believe but he must have quit Ford and became saved. lol I get a squeak on bumps after driving 1.5 - 2 hrs but goes away. 15 years old and runs like a champ. Gimme this powertarin in a 2010 and I'm a happy camper!

Favorite Features

Reliability and Ford built toughness. Always loved the grille, headlamps, turn signals, room for 2 car seats and 1 more in rear.

Suggested Improvements

Free moonroof would be great. 3rd row seating. Easier to change rear speaker. I'm not looking to pimp my ride just enjoy a little surround sound.

I know this car
By rmmiller2050

1995 Ford Explorer Eddie Bauer 4dr SUV 4WD

At 220,000 xfer case destroyed itself costing 1500.00 rebuild, at 300,000 transmission destroyed itself costing 1250 rebuild $, 4 liter v6 motor has still got another 100,000. Leather interior seats are holding up very well. Do not by cheap door handles from auto parts stores not even from napa , they are Chinese and made from wrong plastic. Original Ford oem made from frp resin are the only ones that will not break until many years of service, these cost 30% more than the crummy ones at autozone or napa or pep boys. I do all my own work, m teh 1995 has serious design flaws in xfer case and 4wdv control scheme. I know this car well, 330,000 miles, 150 miles per day comm.

Favorite Features

comfortable and I am 6.2 300lbs

Suggested Improvements

Get rid of all the hi-tech AWD/ auto 4wd nonsense and make it where you just put it in neutral and pull a lever to get 4WD when YOU want it, not when some stupid flaky computer system thinks you need it.

Runs great especially for the price!!!!!
By $300.00 holla

1995 Ford Explorer Eddie Bauer 4dr SUV 4WD

So far so good. I bought it with over 200,000 miles on it. Had to clean the whole interior out(I mean I stripped it down to bare metal).It had been sitting for 6 months, or so, full of trash(this rig had not been taken care of at all)! But I got in it,turned the key,and wah-la she purred like a kitten (a kitten with hairballs,but I was still amazed). Anyway, on to the good part. This thing runs great! 4x4 still works good, the tranny slips just at first,but what can I expect. I'm babying it for awhile until I can have the tranny worked on! Anything that can take the abuse that the last owners put this thing thru and still run is a good ride. Props on the 95 eddie bauer its a tough truck!

Favorite Features

on board computer, and power everthing still works great

Suggested Improvements

maybe the tranny but I imagine by now theres been alot of improvements

Great SUV
By Great SUV

1995 Ford Explorer Eddie Bauer 4dr SUV 4WD

This ford has been good to me. No major problems. Just routine maintenance. I now have to trade it in as a clunker.

Favorite Features

Good looking exterior, roomy interior.

Suggested Improvements

more power and better gas mileage

Great SUV
By na

1995 Ford Explorer Limited 4dr SUV 4WD

We bought our Explorer used from a millionaire my grandfather works for. It was stored in a garage most of its life. I love it, we had it for over a year and have done no maintenance on it except change the tires and oil. It's been very reliable for a Ford and now has more then a hundred thousand miles on it. The Explorer is a great car to have and is very good in the snow and I would recommend buying one.

Favorite Features

Leather seats, sun roof, roomy interior, password key, great heating, maintenance reminder, fog lights, self adjusting air ride suspension, and more. Too much to list all of them!

Suggested Improvements

None

Ford Girl Forever!
By Ford Girl

1995 Ford Explorer XLT 4dr SUV 4WD

I bought this vehicle in February in 2008. It's a 1995 so I was expecting to have to fix some minor things but suprisingly all I had to do was get new tires and a new battery and I was fine. It now has 232,000 miles on it and its still running great! Its my perfect off roading and every day vehicle. I only drive Ford and I love this SUV!

Favorite Features

Leather seats, sunroof, 6 disc changer, very comfortable, a lot of room, the vehicle is great overall!

Suggested Improvements

None.

Reliable
By stone

1995 Ford Explorer XLT 4dr SUV

Wife bought new 94. Couple of minor recalls taken care of by Ford dealer. Wife neglected oil in 2000 for over a year, and became sludge- had to flush engine oil. But still runs fine. average 17mpg. get 19 hwy. Routine care otherwise. Inside passenger back door handle mechanisms abused by kids and wife replaced herself! Needs front wheel bearings replaced and repacked now but thats it. 140000 miles now.

Favorite Features

Comfort. Auto light system.

Suggested Improvements

Better mileage-but what can you expect from early SUV's.