2003 Ford Excursion XLT Value Diesel Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2003 Ford Excursion - Consumer Reviews

2003 Excursion Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Excursion model:

Sort Reviews by

MY 4TH EXCURSION
By TONY COX

2003 Ford Excursion Diesel Eddie Bauer 4WD 4dr SUV (6.0L 8cyl Turbodiesel 5A)

I LIVE IN TEXAS WHERE IT IS TURE WE TRAVEL 22 MILES JUST FOR BREAKFAST. THIS VEHICLE IS AN EXCEPTIONAL VALUE FOR CAMPING AND TRAVELING, TOWING. THIS NEW 6.0 DIESEL IS QUITE AND HAS PLENTY OF GO POWER. THE BEST NEW FEATURE IS THE 5 SPEED TRANSMISSION. VERY COMFORTABLE OVER LONG DISTANT EXCURSIONS.

Favorite Features

OUR ANNUAL VACATION THIS YEAR WAS 12 NATIONAL PARKS AND SIX WEEKS CAMPING IN THE FAR WEST. THE EASE OF USE IS EXCITING NEW TRUCK GAVE US GREAT CONFIDENCE TO GO TO SOME VERY OUT OF THE WAS PLACES WITHOUT FEAR OF NOT COMING BACK!

Suggested Improvements

WHAT I DO WHEN I GET A NEW EXCURSION IS TO REPLACE THE SHOCKS WITH OFF ROAD ADJUSTABLE AIR SHOCKS. THE RIDE ACTUALLY IMPROVES FRONT AND REAR. THE VEHICLE IS SOMEHAT UNDER TIRED. 285X70X16 BF GOODRICH A/T IS THE CORRECT TIRE FOR THIS 8,000 LB. TRUCK.

2003 Excursion 6.0L
By dancon

2003 Ford Excursion Diesel Limited 4WD 4dr SUV (6.0L 8cyl Turbodiesel 5A)

I purchased this vehicle because the other one's, Hummer,Suburban,Explorer,etc. have all downsized the interior room. My head hit the ceiling on almost all the other ones.

Favorite Features

Great gas mileage, running 17.3 per gal.

Suggested Improvements

Allow the purchase of performance chips through the dealers.

FORDS BEST KEPT SECRET
By Arthur Martin

2003 Ford Excursion Diesel XLT Premium 4WD 4dr SUV (6.0L 8cyl Turbodiesel 5A)

The Excursion is the best kept secret. the 6.0 Turbo Diesel gets excellent fuel mileage, I don't know where the critics get there 411 on fuel economy? I wouyld take an Excursion over a Suburban any day.

Favorite Features

6.0 TURBO DIESEL-INTERIOR ROOM

Suggested Improvements

KEEP MAKING THEM,THEY ARE FORDS BEST KEPT SECRET!

6.0 Diesel Works For Me
By jberg

2003 Ford Excursion Diesel Eddie Bauer 4WD 4dr SUV (6.0L 8cyl Turbodiesel 5A)

I bought my Excursion in June and have put on 8200 miles since. Most use is at 75 to 80 mph on highway trips without a trailer. On those trips, I get over 20 mpg. I have a 28' transporter which I use to haul ATV's and camp in. With the loaded trailer behind it, the mpg drops down to 11. I can pull the trailer both up and down hill as fast as I care to.

Favorite Features

Power is impressive. Without a trailer, it stays in 5th gear from the time I leave Salt Lake City till I get to Denver.

Suggested Improvements

As with most SUV's I would like brighter backup lights. I also wish it did not have the 3rd seat which I never use. With the 3rd seat removed and the 2nd laid down the floor is not flat.

Great Family and Tow Unit.
By Gopher19432003

2003 Ford Excursion Diesel Eddie Bauer 4WD 4dr SUV (6.0L 8cyl Turbodiesel 5A)

We use our Excursion for family vacations and towing a 35' travel trailer. This is a wonderful vehicle. It is well made, powerful, quiet and gets surprisingly good mileage. On diesel fuel, we average 18 MPG in town and 22 on the highway. When pulling the trailer, highway mileage drops to 19. I have never had a vehicle that can handle a trailer this large with such ease. I can drive all day and not fell beat.

Favorite Features

Powerful and quiet diesel engine. Seating capacity and space.

Suggested Improvements

I cannot think of a thing I would change.

I love this car!!
By carrie6yoga

2003 Ford Excursion Diesel Eddie Bauer 4WD 4dr SUV (7.3L 8cyl Turbodiesel 4A)

I needed more room. And I like fords. So this rig really won me over, it looks better than the suburban and pulls better too!

Excursion Rocks!
By Lakerat

2003 Ford Excursion Diesel Limited Rwd 4dr SUV (7.3L 8cyl Turbodiesel 4A)

I average 19 mpg on the highway, 16 stop & go, and can carry everybody and their stuff! This is a terrific vehicle, and the diesel is quieter than I expected.

Favorite Features

Size

Suggested Improvements

An easier way to get the third seat out, or have it fold into the floor.

DIESEL POWER THE ONLY WAY
By 6509481

2003 Ford Excursion Diesel Limited 4WD 4dr SUV (7.3L 8cyl Turbodiesel 4A)

LOTS OF POWER WITH THE 7.3L, UNDER FULL LOAD AND TOWING 7500LB'S, THE BABY GETS UP TO HIGHWAY SPEEDS FAST. WITH NO ONE ELSE BUT THE DRIVER ON BOARD YOU AND BLOW THE DOORS OFF ALMOST ALL SPORTS CARS AND TRUCKS OFF THE LINE AND HANDELS GREAT IN THE TURNS. LOYS OF ROOM FOR LUGGAGE BE HID THE 3RD SEAT. A MUST FOR ANY FAMILY WITH MORE THAN 2 KIDS.

Favorite Features

THE POWER AND HANDELING

Suggested Improvements

NAVIGATION

Better than the Sub
By jim west

2003 Ford Excursion Diesel Limited Rwd 4dr SUV (6.0L 8cyl Turbodiesel 5A)

my wife was on vacation when i got truck she said what did you get this bus for i have a 02 sub she said what did you get this thing for we go to destin fl. every mo. i said to hall my 7 grand kids to make things short she want let me drive it she says it is hers now she has not drove the sub nomore she just loves it so i will trade the sub for 04 good mi. 22 on the hiway the best truck out their

Favorite Features

Every thing

Suggested Improvements

no improvements

big guy car
By kakis10

2003 Ford Excursion Diesel Limited 4WD 4dr SUV (7.3L 8cyl Turbodiesel 4A)

Got diesel fuel economy 17 mpg. at present only complaint vehicle had no rear sway bar. I added one from hellwig big diffence. ford warranty needs to be addressed 3yr/360000 bumper to bumper. 5yr/100000 on drive train which means diesel motor only.

Favorite Features

6 disc cd ride good for a big vehicle can haul any thing you want no holds barred

Suggested Improvements

more contoured seats for drive and passenger. center seat console instead of just console f- series has it. rear sway bar standard. shading tint a little darker