2006 Ford Escape Hybrid - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Escape Hybrid model:
Don't get the navigation system
By larrybrac on 06/01/06 20:21 PM (PDT)

2006 Ford Escape Hybrid 4dr SUV (2.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I love my Escape Hybrid with one major exception. The navigation system is the worst piece of electronic equipment I have ever owned. It will not allow the user to input anything except at an absolute stop. The processor is so slow that the map is unable to move when the vehicle is in motion. Instead, the arrow on the map jumps for a few seconds, then the map jumps to catch up. The user interface is so bad that it is very difficult to even get a destination into the system. The screen is so small that you need a magnifying glass to see it. So much for Ford's motto about "Innovation". The best thing they could do is fire the electronics engineers and buy an aftermarket Alpine system.

No frogs killed in this hybrid's manufacture
By Sparkie on 05/31/06 14:35 PM (PDT)

2006 Ford Escape Hybrid 4dr SUV AWD (2.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

27 MPG actual all around suburban driving, handles well, lots of headroom, Electric motor rapidly accelerates engine to passing/on ramp speeds up to 5750 RPM (redline is 6000 RPM) as required. Supposed to be great in snow (with the heavy HV battery pack over the rear wheels), but not tested there, by me, yet. Truly a "fly by wire" design (you steer and press the gas pedal, and the computer controller decides how much motor, engine, and transmission it will provide).

Best Hybrid around for SUV use
By C.Kreider on 05/21/06 23:33 PM (PDT)

2006 Ford Escape Hybrid 4dr SUV (2.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I needed an SUV for hauling and this model is excellent with plenty of storage in the back seat and trunk area. Very peppy on the road and the smooth transition from battery to gas is not felt at all. Very happy owner! I drive lots of freeway traffic and like the way the car handles at all speeds.

Ford Escape
By Kevin on 05/20/06 20:50 PM (PDT)

2006 Ford Escape Hybrid 4dr SUV (2.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Handling, gas mileage is great.

06 Escape
By cfgfhgfv on 05/20/06 18:00 PM (PDT)

2006 Ford Escape Hybrid 4dr SUV (2.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

The only problem we have had with the vehicle is that because it is so quiet deer and elk love to run in front of it. It is getting better mileage then expected for driving in the mountains. Very comfortable to drive with plenty of room for the family.

We've parked the other cars
By RuralParish on 05/20/06 08:22 AM (PDT)

2006 Ford Escape Hybrid 4dr SUV AWD (2.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I'd driven over a dozen Escapes as rental vehicles while on business travel and never had one that wasn't tight, solid and reliable. Ordered an AWD version after driving a 2wd. We got an outstanding vehicle! We use the Hybrid for almost everything and living 35 miles from the city, we've racked up 10,000 miles in 5 months. The car eats up the awful country roads and is smooth and quiet on the highway.

Great Vehicle
By Wendy on 05/17/06 14:03 PM (PDT)

2006 Ford Escape Hybrid 4dr SUV AWD (2.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

We did a lot of research before spending the money, and can't say anything negative about the Escape. Feels good to drive a clean car. Comfortable ride, handles well. Plenty of room for one Great Dane in the back seat, plenty of leg room for people too. Feels substantial and solid. Looks gorgeous in black. High crash test ratings or wouldn't have purchased. Plenty of power when you need it. Didn't get the navigation system, so not positive what mileage has been. Nothing like the Explorer it replaced though, this sips gas. Seems to be almost silent at slow speeds, so be careful of pedestrians. A good match for our needs and I have been wholeheartedly recommending it.

Beware: "Intelligent 4WD" in Hybrids
By Dan Mackey on 05/14/06 09:15 AM (PDT)

2006 Ford Escape Hybrid 4dr SUV AWD (2.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I bought this model for its advertised capability of the Intelligent 4wd system, and was surprised to find out that I was unable to back up over a 6 inch rock. It turns out that the electric engine alone is engaged in reverse - severely limiting power and acceleration in. I highly discourage you from buying this vehicle if reverse is important to you (i.e. driving off-road at all or parking on a sloped driveway). I complained to Ford, and was told that nothing could be done. Aside from this issue, the mileage was as advertised, and I had no other problems. However, I bought the 4wd model to be confident in modest off-road conditions.

Love this SUV!
By nate stewart on 05/09/06 10:46 AM (PDT)

2006 Ford Escape Hybrid 4dr SUV (2.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

When we took the Escape out on the road for a test ride, we knew it was ours. It's very roomy, has lots of cargo space, and you can't beat the mileage. It also has a lot of safety features my wife and I were looking for as we're trying to have a baby. Definitely worth cruising into the dealership to check out.

Great Little SUV
By Boris on 05/04/06 13:38 PM (PDT)

2006 Ford Escape Hybrid 4dr SUV (2.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Living on a dirt road, I needed an SUV. Living out of town, I needed good mileage. I bought a base-model Escape Hybrid and I got both. This thing is getting a combined city/hwy mileage of over 30mpg. Amazing for an SUV. Even the base model comes with lots of features. 6-disc CD changer (with MP3 capability), electric driver seat, 110V power outlet and all sorts of little bells and whistles. I only got about 26 mpg on a long trip for 800 miles, but the city mileage in the high 30's made up for that very quickly.

TCO® insurance data for this vehicle coming soon...

For an accurate quote, contact our trusted partner below.