1998 Ford Contour Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Contour model:
Solid Ford Countour SE Coupe
By Mercy Casanova on 11/23/05 13:44 PM (PST)

1998 Ford Contour Sedan SE 4dr Sedan

This vehicle has proven to be solid and reliable. I've enjoyed it and have had minimal problems with it for the 6 years I've driven it.

The Money Pit!
By Mark Charlebois on 10/01/05 10:15 AM (PDT)

1998 Ford Contour Sedan SE 4dr Sedan

This car is an awesome car to drive, but is plagued with serious tranny problems between 70-80k, seriously considered dumping the vehicle. Rack and pinion is garbage, alternators, heat blower, various sensors, hard on tires and brake rotors. To top it all off, the value of the car is disappointing; it's a complete loss because the headaches and wallet aches are endless. Never again Ford!

putt-putt
By niriana on 08/05/05 14:46 PM (PDT)

1998 Ford Contour Sedan LX 4dr Sedan

Awesome first car. Easy and smooth driving. Not too old and not too new. Excellent for first time driver.

Taught Kids to Drive
By Marco on 04/29/05 13:24 PM (PDT)

1998 Ford Contour Sedan SE 4dr Sedan

Specifically purchased a Contour with 60K to teach my 2 teenagers how to drive. I'm tall and needed something with 4 doors. Not as pricey as other used cars of similar size, with 4 doors. Not too fast, but handles great. Both teenagers have licenses and have moved on to other vehicles. Sort of expected that one of them would wreck the car, so I didn't expect to own it for long. Have had it almost 3 years, and am pretty pleased. Get close to 30mpg in regular driving. Had to pay a bit to get the timing belt, gear, etc. replaced at 90K, but have just had maintenance (battery, brake pads) since. Wore out a set of tires in 40K, but expected as much with 2 teenagers pushing the envelope.

Its not a Mustang but it comes close
By stratus rt30 on 03/13/05 22:05 PM (PST)

1998 Ford Contour Sedan SE 4dr Sedan

I'm a teenaged driver and i got the car from my father in 2003. Most teens want sports cars or street racers. But when i first saw the Contour i thought it was weak. Then i got into the Contour. This car is a Mustang in 4-door form. I love this car; it's got the performance yet it also has the utility. The car has only required routine maintainance. I know I'm a teen and I don't know cars too much . But I am a mechanic and my dad owns a dealership. If you keep the car in good shape this car will not disappoint

HOW MUCH?
By B Alb on 01/09/05 15:17 PM (PST)

1998 Ford Contour Sedan GL 4dr Sedan

Bought car used with 40K on the odometer. Good price. Drove fine for about a year. Recall city, couldn't put gas in it, recall; heater blower went out; recall. Cankshaft positioning sensor went out, transmission went, eats front tires like the Cookie Monster does chocolate chips. Service engine light on repeatedly. Loose connection with front O2 sensor. Has a funny surge problem when accelerating. Replaced water pump. Brake rotors and wheels front end very difficult to remove, They stick to the hub. I have not had any of the alternator charging system problems that others have reported. Although the garage that did the transmission said they will never do another Contour.

My Contour
By Vinnie Saigh on 01/02/05 11:53 AM (PST)

1998 Ford Contour Sedan SE 4dr Sedan

When I purchased this car a year ago, it looked to be in good shape, and it was. I took it home, had the front bumper and fenders repainted because of multiple highway chips in the paint. Then Iwashed and waxed it, making it shine like new, and it really does look great. I replaced the starter and a fuel solenoid, and now my Contour runs excellent. The gas mileage is outstanding, which is perfect for a low-income high school student, like myself. It's very reliable, but being a 6 year old car, you're bound to have a few things to fix. I've put about a total of $300 in replacement parts into this car, most parts being quite expensive. This car has done nothing but good for me this past year.

Trouble Free @ 81k
By David on 12/15/04 19:08 PM (PST)

1998 Ford Contour Sedan SE 4dr Sedan

Bought used at a bargain price. I use this car daily for my business. At 81k miles, I have only replaced the front brakes. No other expenses whatsoever. Excellent heat and a/c. Best I have had. Handling is super with the SE package. I have the 2.0 motor. A little sluggish off the line but picks up nicely ( without the a/c running). I averaged 28 mpg last summer in combined driving. Ride can be firm for some and road noise can be an issue, but this is one well made car IMHO. Best buy I ever made.

Be afraid, be very afraid
By oubobcat on 10/31/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Ford Contour Sedan SE 4dr Sedan

Bought it used in '99 and was reasonably pleased for a couple years, except for the endless list of recalls. It's always eaten tires because it won't stay aligned (no, it was never in a wreck). To date I've spent $200+ to replace the o2 sensor, $350+ to replace a melted fuze box(heater fuze didn't blow like it was supposed to), dipstick replacement(yep, the dipstick broke), 2 alternators in < 18 months, and the transmission went out this week. Perhaps the buyer of this pile of scrap metal I'm about to sell will do OK, since I've already replaced most moving parts, but I wouldn't bet on it.

Alright Ford!
By gothikrok on 10/31/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Ford Contour Sedan SE 4dr Sedan

Well, lets see, lately, I haven't had too much luck in cars; but that's another story... In '96 my parents bought a brand new contour, lets just say that I was less than impressed. However, when I bought this fairly exhausted six-year-old car, my sences were thoroughly indulged. May I just begin my praise by anotating that this car rides on rails, not to mention it's extreme acceleration(with five speed/2.5L of course), and yet it some how manages to have a rather decent ride. If you have ever been thrown off by the "family sedan" tittle, or, driven one that wasn't quite as exhillerating as mine, then you have my pitty...