Used 1998 Ford Contour Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1998 Ford Contour - Consumer Reviews

1998 Ford Contour Sedan

View reviews for a specific Contour model:

Best car ever owned
By Momasauras44

1998 Ford Contour Sedan SE 4dr Sedan

My Contour was bought for 2,500 with 97,000 miles. I really enjoy my car. I drive it all over town for my job. I've been told it's a cute little get around car. I agree. It now has 127,000 and needing some minor repairs. The timing belt, alternator and steering pulley. All in all, a really great little car.

Favorite Features

The large trunk holds a wheelchair. It's that roomy. I love it.

Suggested Improvements

More leg room in the backseat.

Wish we'd never bought it
By Atlanta

1998 Ford Contour Sedan SE 4dr Sedan

I never cared for the car from the first day my husband bought it (I was out of town). It was o.k. for the first few years except the speakers never worked right. Then the rear brakes started chattering and we have spent a lot of time and money trying to fix the problem. Took it to a Ford dealer and they couldn't fix it. We've have tried to have it fixed several times at different places but the noise always returns within a few weeks. The front end is always going out of alignment and pulls to one side. Last year, all the seals blew and we spent $1,000 to fix it. We've kept it for our teenagers to drive, but plan to get rid of it next year. It has about 90K miles. CR is right about it.

Favorite Features

Can't think of any.

Suggested Improvements

No point in making suggestions since it was discontinued years ago.

Nice car
By Carp

1998 Ford Contour Sedan SE 4dr Sedan

I bought my 1998 Contour used, have had the car about 5 months, Very nice little car eventhough it is 10 years old it is still tight, holds the road well. Replaced the 02 sensor because it would stall, also the fuel pump, extensive brake repair but then again I don't believe that the brakes were ever repaired. Nice car, worth keeping to me.

Favorite Features

Gas mileage. Handles well on the road..

Suggested Improvements

02 sensor, this seems to be a common problem with this type of car.

Fun Daily Driver
By Kevin S of NC

1998 Ford Contour Sedan 4dr Sedan

I purchased my 2.0L Zetec with automatic transmission at 26,000 miles. Now at 154,000 miles, I have experienced one major problem: lesson learned - change the idler pulleys with the timing belt since the OEM bearings are failure-prone. Small oil leaks from the valve cover were resolved with a new gasket and grommet set. I have really enjoyed this car and have kept it up with an excellent preventative maintenance program. Being a mechanical engineer may have something to do with it, too.

Favorite Features

My 4-cylinder A/T model gets outstanding mileage on the highway and the trunk size has usually been adequate for most trips.

Suggested Improvements

I was told the OEM speakers are good for 30 watts per channel so I replaced the factory stereo with an aftermarket unit. The sound quality has been better than I expected.

Great Used Car
By vishal konnur

1998 Ford Contour Sedan SE 4dr Sedan

I got this car or $2200 with 103,000 miles. For the price, it was a great car. Spacious, enough power and great features .

Favorite Features

Very comfortable ride. Adequately powerful AC. Comfortable seats - I had to drag the wife out of her seat. Enough room for a 4 member family and a large trunk.

Suggested Improvements

The legendary "Engine Trouble" light. I got a cheap code reader and reset this every time. It stopped coming on after a few reset cycles. Also did not feel comfortable at turns.