1999 Ford Contour SVT - Consumer Reviews

Base 2.5L V6 5-speed Manual - (0 review )
Great bang for the buck
By miller542 on 06/11/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Ford Contour SVT 4dr Sedan

There are quirks to this car. But when you consider what your getting for the money, they're easy to deal with. Lesser models will get bad reviews, but the SVT is truly a great car. It was really great when it was built and it still holds up well against new cars today.

I Love my car
By Adam M on 05/25/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Ford Contour SVT 4dr Sedan

I love my Contour STV it is awsome it is realy nice inside and I love to drive it!

Fun to Drive, Torture to own
By Pete Snell on 03/23/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1999 Ford Contour SVT 4dr Sedan

My '99 Contour was in the shop constantly. Partly because parts on it kept breaking, and partly because the Ford service guys were incompetent and wouldn't fix the problem that the car was brought in for but would manage to break something else. For example, I had a warped dash (fixed under warranty) but the one they replaced my tan dash with was a dark brown one. And then they wouldn't replace it with the right color. I also had a constant, strong pull to the left, cd player never worked, rear doors squeaked constantly, driver seat became a rocking chair after 2 months, clutch plate shattered after only 38,000 miles and more.

great
By Kerryc on 01/18/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1999 Ford Contour SVT 4dr Sedan

lovely engine great seats awesome sound excellent performance good value exclusivity style uniqueness How can you lose?

Happy Trails
By Tufguy on 11/10/02 00:00 AM (PST)

1999 Ford Contour SVT 4dr Sedan

I leased my Contour SVT for a 3 year period. I loved the thrill of driving this car so much I had to go back and buy it out. I don't know too many other Low Displacement, All Aluminum, Midsize Domestics under $30K that have as sweet an Exhaust note as this bad-boy does when you open it up. I try not to let it go too often as Tires ain't cheap (Especially in Canadian Funds)

a true american sports sedan
By ffk on 09/19/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Ford Contour SVT 4dr Sedan

i can't complain about the performance. for the money, there's not a better sports sedan on the market. too bad it was discontinued in 2000. i had the car only three months before totalling it, but it was definitely a blast to drive. faster than every japanese import from 1999 except the nsx and integra R, faster than the A4 turbo, faster than the 325i, and faster than both the V6 mustang and camaro. and with a 5-spd, leather, and power everything standard, it was nicer inside than the entry level lexus. certainly a car that ford needs to bring back. in fact the only complaint i have about the car is the tires. you can't find anything in a 215.

great car
By Creativo69 on 09/07/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Ford Contour SVT 4dr Sedan

Bought this car based on great reviews and it has delivered. Very few problems(but for recalls). For the money I don't honestly know better 'driver's car' and I have owned and continue to own BMWs. Get one, take good car of it and I definitely believe you will have a very saleable commodity.

Ford did well, but not well enough
By trobertiello on 06/28/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Ford Contour SVT 4dr Sedan

The original OEM tires are definately a problem in areas where snow falls. The Bridgstone KDW's are not rated for snow. Recommend getting all season tires. Handling and performance were good, but the interior quality left much to be desired. Back seats are incompatible with several infant car seats that we have (ie Evenflo; Century; Brix). A good car for one who needs four doors, some power and no kids.

Love that Contour
By D Hill on 06/27/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Ford Contour SVT 4dr Sedan

Always dependable, I drive @100 miles a day and its comfortable & gas efficient. I can sit in the back seat with leg room even with front seat pushed back. And my tall husband (6'5") can fit in it too!.

Contour: best sport sedan value of '99
By SMSTM on 03/07/02 18:53 PM (PST)

This car is awesome.