2013 Ford C-Max Hybrid Consumer Review: Fun and Practical wagon

2013 Ford C-Max Hybrid - Consumer Review

Fun and Practical wagon
By mrtrout on

2013 Ford C-Max Hybrid SE 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I have owned a C-Max for about 2 months and 2000 miles now and overall think this is an excellent hybrid that is often overlooked. I have the base SE model with no options other than blue paint color. The base model is a good value at about $26K. The closest comparable car is the Toyota Prius V. The only advantages the Prius V has are more cargo space and a more thickly padded back seat (but the seat does not fold flat). I liked the C-Max better in all other areas. The C-Max has a lot more power than the Prius and accelerates quickly. The electric motor, engine, and transmission are very responsive and seamless if you have to punch the throttle to merge into traffic quickly.

Favorite Features

The C-Max is surprisingly quiet and feels substantial which is unusual in a small car. Handling is crisp and responsive. It's no sports car, but handles better than any mainstream hybrid except the Ford Fusion. The wagon body shape gives the space of a small SUV with about twice the gas mileage. I deliberately got the base model both because it is a better value and I wanted to avoid the myFord Touch touchscreen control system. The base radio doesn't look as flashy but works fine and is much simpler to use. The Sync voice commands work well most of the time.

Suggested Improvements

Gas mileage seems to vary wildly between owners. I average 38 MPG on a level highway at 75 MPH and 44 MPG in town. Here are some tips that may help: 1. Turn off the climate control in moderate weather. This car has electric A/C but not heat. When the heater is on, it will start the engine and keep it running to produce heat, reducing mileage. I push the off button on the climate system if it is not needed. If you don't need heat, just turn it off or turn the temperature down to save gas. 2. Try to drive with a light throttle at speeds of 60 mph or less if road and traffic conditions allow. The car can run on electric only up to 62 MPH which greatly improves MPG.