Used 1997 Dodge Stratus Base Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1997 Dodge Stratus - Consumer Reviews

1997 Dodge Stratus Sedan

View reviews for a specific Stratus model:

1 of the best cars I've had in 30+ years
By Ron

1997 Dodge Stratus Sedan 4dr Sedan

Just had to retire the car today, cracked the transmission case on a pot hole, repair more than the car is worth. It will be missed, it was a very comfortable car that handled well and gave me 24mpg city and just under 32mpg at 70 on highway. Rode like a much bigger car and handled quite well. Had just under 180k on it but didn't drive like it. Good in snow. Had to buy a car today, if not would have looked for another one, maybe a few years newer.

Favorite Features

Favorite features? Nothing in particular, but what was there worked well.

Suggested Improvements

Cup holders in front of gear shift was cumbersome. No ashtray. They should have made a station-wagon version.

Great ride, for little money.
By TuxMan

1997 Dodge Stratus Sedan 4dr Sedan

Bought mine used for $2,000 with 60,000 miles on the motor, 110,000 on the transmission, passed emmissions. Spent less than $1,000 for new tires, brakes, and shocks. Serviced the transmission at 115,000 for less than $150 for new fluid and filter. Starter went out a year later, less than $300 to replace. Overall I've spent less than $3,500 for the car and all repairs.

Favorite Features

Great AC and heat. I like the body style, the seats, the dash layout, and the power from the 150hp 2.4L motor. Very little wind and road noise. Huge trunk. Rear seats fold down.

Suggested Improvements

I want power locks, and windows. I want a key chain remote to unlock the doors. I guess I should have bought the ES.

Should've been named the Lemon
By Lane

1997 Dodge Stratus Sedan 4dr Sedan

Extensive repairs, followed by more broken parts have been the story of my experience with this car. Bought it at 132k miles and had problems immediately. Poor insulation has led to leaks inside the passenger compartment during rain storms. The AC has numerous leaks in the line and has never worked. Still having engine and transmission problems. Do not buy this vehicle unless you can pay 4x it's value in repairs!

Favorite Features

This vehicle gets great gas mileage.

Suggested Improvements

Everything about this vehicle needs improvement. I can see why Chrysler discontinued production of the Stratus.

A Dangerous Vehicle
By shel

1997 Dodge Stratus Sedan 4dr Sedan

I can not believe this car is legal to sell. The first week I got it, there was a pin in the transmission that was coming out and caused the car to only go in reverse and it cost me 1,000 dollars to have it welded back in. 3 weeks after that my brakes fell off! I have two kids that I transport in this car. My brakes literally fell off the car. The whole brake system had to be redone. So far I have put 4,800 dollars into this car. By the time I am done repairing it, it will be brand new. Oh, wait , no it won't because I am junking it. Did I mention how the steering just went out. I will never buy a car even resembling a Stratus.

Favorite Features

It looks cute but a horrible, unreliable and dangerous vehicle with no safety.

Suggested Improvements

Everything

Broken
By broke

1997 Dodge Stratus Sedan 4dr Sedan

I bought this car in 2001 at 69,000 miles. I should have left it on the lot! I needed brakes every three months. I thought maybe I was just hard on the brakes but I asked around it seemed to be a common occurrence. I had 5 recalls on my car with in the first year of my ownership of the car. And between the hoses, air conditioner, gaskets, and brakes. I was broke

Favorite Features

when it did work it drove smoothly

Suggested Improvements

it 's too old to give suggestions on