1998 Dodge Ram Pickup 1500 Extended Cab - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Ram Pickup 1500 model:
Best truck ever
By Tearin up chevy's on 12/31/08 19:46 PM (PST)

1998 Dodge Ram Pickup 1500 Extended Cab Laramie SLT 4dr Extended Cab 4WD LB

This truck has been amazing since new. I pull goosenecks loaded down cross the midwest and drive this truck everyday. It now has over 400,000. Suggest buying this model over any of the other full size trucks made.

Buy at your own risk!
By Aaron90 on 05/07/08 19:05 PM (PDT)

1998 Dodge Ram Pickup 1500 Extended Cab Laramie SLT 4dr Extended Cab LB

I had this truck for about 3-4 years now. I like it, but It keeps breaking down from something; first, an electrical problem, then the transmission, then the water pump, finally, another electrical problem; Whatever you do, do not buy one if you do not want to spend a lot of money on it so it could break down on you

One and done.... forever
By bill of rights on 03/11/08 02:57 AM (PDT)

1998 Dodge Ram Pickup 1500 Extended Cab Laramie SLT 2dr Extended Cab 4WD SB

I bought this truck brand new in 98. I am sure the newer ones are better. Granted, this truck has a lot of miles on it now, but the realibility was suspect from new. Had a lot of problems with spark knock. Dealer messed with the computer, throttle body, intake, spark plugs, wires, higher octane gas and still no fix. Computer would fix it for 1k miles or so then it would knock again. Rear main leaked since about 60k miles. Transmission replaced at 70k. Bad bad brakes. Right front wheel bearing two times. Sway bar two times. Steering box. Stereo replaced under warranty.Bad paint. List goes on. I still have the truck, but only drive it now to haul trash. Buy a Chevy.

Good and Bad
By Colorado L on 10/14/07 17:00 PM (PDT)

1998 Dodge Ram Pickup 1500 Extended Cab Laramie SLT 2dr Extended Cab 4WD SB

I have owned this truck for 3 years. Love it, fun to drive. Who can beat that sound? Issues, bad paint, brakes, fuel mileage. Replaced catalytic converter at 100,000 mi. Brake issues front knuckle replaced at 110000 mi. Paint started to really go bad this year 9 years old. So over all, good truck, with some mechanical issues. Worst issue is the fuel economy. 14- 16 mpg. But what do you expect with a big truck and big engine.

318 2x4
By Bob Y. on 07/18/07 16:43 PM (PDT)

1998 Dodge Ram Pickup 1500 Extended Cab Laramie SLT 4dr Extended Cab LB

Got it to pull my 4200# travel trailer. The 95 Chevy with 350 would only do 50 mph up some of hills. The 318 has no problems keeping me at 65. Lots of room in front cab and all controls easy to reach, back area could be bigger. The 318 is great, plenty of power, mileage is what I expect out of a truck, better than the Chevy 350 and I got more power. I do my own maintenance (including anual trans filter and oil) and never been left standing on the side of the road.

Solid used Truck
By Sven Paul Levin on 10/13/06 20:50 PM (PDT)

1998 Dodge Ram Pickup 1500 Extended Cab Laramie SLT 4dr Extended Cab LB

Plenty of power and solid drive. Avg gas mileage for truck. Felt more solid than the other major two trucks. Guys truck to drive. Not dainty.

So far so good
By heath on 05/25/06 18:56 PM (PDT)

1998 Dodge Ram Pickup 1500 Extended Cab ST 4dr Extended Cab 4WD SB

I have owned this truck for a little over a year, and have not had a problem one. I drive 50 min. one way to work 5-6 days a week. The only thing is that the mileage tends to change from one fill up to the next. 14.5-16.5 mpg.

Wow
By Joe Jiampetti on 11/27/05 08:43 AM (PST)

1998 Dodge Ram Pickup 1500 Extended Cab ST 2dr Extended Cab SB

I lost my S10 in the hurricane. I have been a Chevy guy but I really like this truck. Powerful roomy and great styling. You ride up high get the step bar to make it female friendly. Dodge did an awesome job putting this truck on the market.

Ram Tough--despite the warnings...
By jason on 10/29/05 12:22 PM (PDT)

1998 Dodge Ram Pickup 1500 Extended Cab Laramie SLT 2dr Extended Cab 4WD SB

All anybody told me was "dont buy that truck." But after three years and 40k, my used (1998 model, purchased in 2003 with 60k on it) 1/2 ton Ram never let me down. Not once. Fuel effeciency is not great. I went from a 4 banger to the small block 8cyl Magnum, so the smaller engine was plenty of power. I towed 5800 pounds from Colorado to Pennsylvania, going 75 the whole way, no problem. Only complaint is that the anti-lock brakes tend to lock up when the weather is cold and real wet. Not winter, but late fall, early spring type stuff. It survived a winter in Crested Butte, Colorado and temperatures as low as -27 degrees. It still started. Good stuff.

Don't buy if you plan to tow!!
By mike hall on 07/22/05 20:30 PM (PDT)

1998 Dodge Ram Pickup 1500 Extended Cab Laramie SLT 4dr Extended Cab SB

I purchased this unit new, on price only. It was left over from 1998 into 99 sales year and discounted deeply. Now I know why. 12 - 15 mpg empty and 6 mpg towing a single car carrier (trailer gvw is 7000). It is a nice looking truck, but I could have purchased a diesel Ford and saved the difference just in fuel. Fuel guage failed recently, $800, thank you Dodge.