Used 1996 Dodge Ram Pickup 1500 Laramie SLT Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific Ram Pickup 1500 model:

Good Truck
By Paul

1996 Dodge Ram Pickup 1500 Laramie SLT 2dr Regular Cab SB

I've had this truck a little more than 4 years, and the only major work I've done has been the fuel pump. The truck now has 98000 miles, rides and drives like new

This truck kicks @ss!
By Thomas123

1996 Dodge Ram Pickup 1500 Laramie SLT 2dr Regular Cab SB

I've had my truck for almost 8 months now, and I have nothing but good things to say about it. It is amazingly powerful with the 5.9L V8, and it is truely fun to drive.

Favorite Features

It tows a 2500lb. sailboat like it's a dingy, and it's easy to forget your towing anything at all...until you go to break, that is.

Suggested Improvements

I wish it was a little heavier, it's a bit bouncy when there's nothing in the bed, but that is almost expected with any pickup. The cupholders don't hold very well, and there have been a few recalls.

Dodge Ram Sport
By RamFan

1996 Dodge Ram Pickup 1500 Laramie SLT 2dr Regular Cab SB

Was in the shop twice for tranny problems. The first time was the day after I bought it - O-ring installed improperly. The second time a spool valve needed replaced (made tranny noisy in reverse). Also, the FM section of the Infinity stereo comes and goes. Actually, no major problems. I plan on keeping it for many years.

Favorite Features

Looks and handling. Drives like a car, although ride is much harsher - which is to be expected. Also the 360 V8 gives over 18 mpg on the highway at freeway speeds (and above). If you're 6' or over, the truck has plenty of room, so you don't have to spend extra for an extended cab.

Suggested Improvements

More low-end torque for the 360 engine. Accelerates great above 35 mph, but below that it's a dog. Truck has 3.55:1 posi differential. 3.90:1 would be better for around town.

dodge half tone
By ranchhouse

1996 Dodge Ram Pickup 1500 Laramie SLT 2dr Regular Cab SB

have had very few problems -- nothing that should be unexpected, warranty has been hassle-free,

Favorite Features

luxurious for a pick up

Satified with 96 Dodge
By SteveB5815

1996 Dodge Ram Pickup 1500 Laramie SLT 2dr Regular Cab SB

I liked the "new" style Dodge trucks since they came out in '94. When my Blazer crapped out leaving me stranded on the highway, I decided it was time for a change. This truck has been very reliable so far. Maintenance is a must, . I don't drive my stuff into the ground then complain about it. Part of the cost of ownership is regular maintenance and abusive treatment will ruin any vehicle be it Ford Chevy or Dodge. If you want to own one of the coolest trucks ever made, get one of these models. If you want "me to" or boring then F & C are there for you.

Favorite Features

Unique styling. Four wheel drive. Room for larger wheels and tires. Simple solid front axle design allows for easier suspension lifts. Tons of room in the cab and useful storage in the center console seat back.

Suggested Improvements

Well, seeing as Dodge changed the initial design, some aftermarket improvements are: Better shocks, Geno's Garage drink holder, side steps or bars. For performance, a K&N Gen2 intake and freeflow exhaust. These trucks are cheap enough now that you can really fix 'em up to your liking.