Used 2005 Dodge Neon Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Dodge Neon - Consumer Reviews

2005 Dodge Neon Sedan

View reviews for a specific Neon model:

Great little car
By Brock

2005 Dodge Neon Sedan SXT 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I've owned my dodge neon for just about four years now. I bought it brand new off the lot. It's a sxt model with an automatic transmission. The past two years, I've been commuting eighty plus miles a day to work and home again. With the exception of a new battery and four new tires, my neon drives and performs well. I do all the maintenance my self. My neon has a few squeaks and rattles which is normal for the amount of miles it has, but it continues to serve me well.

Favorite Features

I'm a big guy, so I appreciate the roominess of the cabin.

Suggested Improvements

The suspension could be smoother. After driving a while, the transmission shifts abruptly after a stop. It could be a lot smoother.

2005 Dodge Neon
By Bob

2005 Dodge Neon Sedan SXT 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this car because of its relative fuel economy vs selling price...good MPG for the price I paid. In town I get 25.5, with automatic, driving conservatively. Also, it is a previous SCCA champion road race and autoross car...it handles very well, handles super with a few minor mods.Acceleration is fun, not stunning.

Favorite Features

Handling is super, fuel economy, for me, is within my parameters for a car of this price, quality.

Suggested Improvements

Is there a trunk release? I can't find it. The rear view is blocked by the top of the rear seats, it is horrible to see out of. Also, I get a sun reflection off of the black dash...black is not a good choice in dash color.

Still Love The Neon!
By Matt D.

2005 Dodge Neon Sedan SXT 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

We bought this car two years ago with 19k on the odometer. We now have 60k on it. The only issue we've ever had besides a stock battery with a couple dead cells in it, was with a water leak that Chrysler issued a TSB back in '03. I fixed that myself. The car handles great, fairly comfortable for a small car, and is fun to drive. Sure it could use more power, but it's way more than adequate. One thing though, is the in town mileage for this car is pretty low. I average 23 MPG in town. But on the highway, especially on our vacation trips, we hit 37 MPG regularly. The factory Goodyear Eagle LS tires were horrible in the rain and snow. I replaced them with Cooper CS4's and haven't looked back.

Favorite Features

The exterior styling, the sound system, the handling, the dash gauges at night. Love the white gauges that black out at night time. It's just an overall cool little car that looks sweet. Honestly, I am looking at buy another Neon for my work car. Then we'll be a two Neon family.

Suggested Improvements

Rear power windows. But those weren't available as an option. Also the stock tires. Put a good set of tires on this car and it will be a night and day difference. The Cooper CS4's I have on it have never let me down during the past two Ohio winters.

tiny tank
By kate_runs

2005 Dodge Neon Sedan SXT 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

In what parallel universe does this car get supposed good fuel economy? I have put a lot of money keeping this car in the best shape, I don't drive it in a gas-wasting sort of way, and I usually only get around 20/22mpg on a tank-- and that is with freeway driving as well. It's like driving a small tank, especially in contrast to non-American compact equivalents. It does zip along quite quickly on flat roads, depending on the weather. Positive: I feel pretty safe driving it (in terms of how solid it is), and the trunk is quite roomy. Lastly: God forbid you turn the a/c on- the mpg goes to around 16mpg

Favorite Features

cubbies, trunk size, stereo speakers

Suggested Improvements

reliability, better fuel economy, no more squeaky brakes (which I am told is just "something Neons do" by the service department), turning radius

Chrysler could have done better
By Willie

2005 Dodge Neon Sedan SE 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

The fuel economy is quite good. Vehicle came with a spoiler on the trunk lid that obstructed rear view and I ended up removing it and plugging the screw holes. At 38,000 miles the vehicle would not pass a state inspection because the lower control arm bushings seperated from their housing on both sides of the vehicle. Dealer says he has relaced these failed parts on many Dodge Neon vehicles and on PT Cruisers which have the same suspension. Had other Chrysler vehicles in the past and will certainly never buy another one.