Used 2005 Dodge Neon Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Dodge Neon Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Neon model:

The trunk leaks
By Danny

2005 Dodge Neon Sedan SXT 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

This is my second Dodge Neon and it has low mileage but the trunk leaks. It gets water in the wheel well under the spare in the trunk and also in the back floor under both sides. I have to go vacuum it out and then air it out. The manufacturer did not seal the trunk correctly and no one seems to know how to fix it. It is now out of warranty. I am not happy about this. Otherwise it is a good car, but my right front power window just went out and the air conditioner could be colder at only 38,500 miles.

The care drives very well in city and on highway and is fun to drive. The gas mileage is OK. Wish all windows were tinted from manufacturer.

Fix the sealants around trunk so it doesn't Leak. Improve the air conditioner. Improve the seats for more comfort.

Chrysler should still make them!
By sharong60

2005 Dodge Neon Sedan SXT 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I bought my SXT brand new and have had her almost 5 years now and still love her! I love the fuel economy and can get 400 miles on a full tank! She handles great except on ice! I think it's the lightweight body. I love the interior and exterior styling! Great stereo, well lit dash, great heater, a/c, like the pull down back seats, which make it almost a hatchback! Parts are cheap. Good warranty. Have had to put very little maintenance on her. Did get new tires last summer. And had a motor go out on my power window, replaced free thru warranty. Had to get a new battery last year. She starts even when left outside in extreme cold. Right now, Chrysler would have a goldmine in the Neon!

Power windows, stereo, keyless remote, folddown back seats, trunk release on remote, fog lights,and, of course,great gas mileage!

Wish back windows were power too. Side airbags would be nice, install gps/onstar/sirrus radio, power antenna.

Great little car
By Brock

2005 Dodge Neon Sedan SXT 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I've owned my dodge neon for just about four years now. I bought it brand new off the lot. It's a sxt model with an automatic transmission. The past two years, I've been commuting eighty plus miles a day to work and home again. With the exception of a new battery and four new tires, my neon drives and performs well. I do all the maintenance my self. My neon has a few squeaks and rattles which is normal for the amount of miles it has, but it continues to serve me well.

I'm a big guy, so I appreciate the roominess of the cabin.

The suspension could be smoother. After driving a while, the transmission shifts abruptly after a stop. It could be a lot smoother.

2005 Dodge Neon
By Bob

2005 Dodge Neon Sedan SXT 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this car because of its relative fuel economy vs selling price...good MPG for the price I paid. In town I get 25.5, with automatic, driving conservatively. Also, it is a previous SCCA champion road race and autoross car...it handles very well, handles super with a few minor mods.Acceleration is fun, not stunning.

Handling is super, fuel economy, for me, is within my parameters for a car of this price, quality.

Is there a trunk release? I can't find it. The rear view is blocked by the top of the rear seats, it is horrible to see out of. Also, I get a sun reflection off of the black dash...black is not a good choice in dash color.

Still Love The Neon!
By Matt D.

2005 Dodge Neon Sedan SXT 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

We bought this car two years ago with 19k on the odometer. We now have 60k on it. The only issue we've ever had besides a stock battery with a couple dead cells in it, was with a water leak that Chrysler issued a TSB back in '03. I fixed that myself. The car handles great, fairly comfortable for a small car, and is fun to drive. Sure it could use more power, but it's way more than adequate. One thing though, is the in town mileage for this car is pretty low. I average 23 MPG in town. But on the highway, especially on our vacation trips, we hit 37 MPG regularly. The factory Goodyear Eagle LS tires were horrible in the rain and snow. I replaced them with Cooper CS4's and haven't looked back.

The exterior styling, the sound system, the handling, the dash gauges at night. Love the white gauges that black out at night time. It's just an overall cool little car that looks sweet. Honestly, I am looking at buy another Neon for my work car. Then we'll be a two Neon family.

Rear power windows. But those weren't available as an option. Also the stock tires. Put a good set of tires on this car and it will be a night and day difference. The Cooper CS4's I have on it have never let me down during the past two Ohio winters.