Used 2005 Dodge Neon Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Dodge Neon Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Neon model:
Gas mileage?
By moviebuff on 05/30/08 11:46 AM (PDT)

2005 Dodge Neon Sedan SXT 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this car used. It was in Hawaii as a rental. This has been yet another great Dodge product! The only thing I don't get is that it gets better gas mileage at 75-80 MPH then at 65-70. I know another guy that had an older Neon and he said it didn't start running good until you got it up to at least 60 MPH+.

Used to like it...
By Julie on 05/22/08 20:30 PM (PDT)

2005 Dodge Neon Sedan SXT 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I originally loved my bright orange Neon SXT, but the thing has had nothing but problems since we bought it. Right now we are trying to figure out why the engine keeps sputtering and cutting out which, upon further research, is common in Neons. The fabric interior shows every wet mark that ever hits it and the car, both inside and outside, scratches and damages very easily. I love the look and color of my car, but that it about all anymore. I'm going to get rid of it the next chance I get.

I love my Neon
By jessicaann2005 on 01/04/08 09:13 AM (PST)

2005 Dodge Neon Sedan SXT 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

My 2005 Neon SXT came with the SRT4 exterior package. It is awesome looking and great on gas mileage and fits my whole family. I have looked forward to finally getting one for the past few years.

Why did Dodge discontinue this model?
By jrb on 01/01/08 15:58 PM (PST)

2005 Dodge Neon Sedan SXT 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

We operate this car in our courier business. It has a 5 speed manual trans. (Had been using Nissan hardbody pickups because of their reliability.) We have owned this car 2 years & 3 months; it has 225,000 miles on it. We are saving a lot of money, compared to the Nissans, on insurance, fuel, and maintenance. We use synthetic oil. Only maintenance we have had to do is spark plugs and wires and one timing belt. We use it city and highway driving over 400 miles per day at 32 mpg. This has probably been the most reliable "American" make I have ever owned. I cannot believe Dodge discontinued this model. It is too good to believe except that we have used it and seen it. Why did you end it Dodge?

Fun and inexpensive
By wax on 11/18/07 06:51 AM (PST)

2005 Dodge Neon Sedan SXT 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

This is my second Neon. I love it. I blast around full throttle and still get close to 35 mpg. I think we drove every small car made before we made our decision. The only one that even came close to the performance of the Neon was the Mazda. I drive a lot of miles, and buy new cars often.

BUY CHEAP....BUY TWICE!!
By Bob in Ohio on 10/23/07 08:11 AM (PDT)

2005 Dodge Neon Sedan SXT 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Cheap made economy car. Gets you from point A to point B and that's all the good things I have to say about it. Fuel economy is not very good for this size of car. BRAKES, BRAKES, BRAKES THEY SOUND LIKE A TRAIN COMING TO A STOP !!!!

2nd Neon Purchace
By Kay on 06/08/07 04:55 AM (PDT)

2005 Dodge Neon Sedan SXT 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

This is my second Dodge Neon purchase. I bought the 2005 Dodge Neon STX model with rear spoiler this time. This model is sporty stylish and still turns heads. It's roomy and has pep when you put your foot on the gas. I love this car for the price and gas miles. Relieable so far.

Very underrated car
By Rick on 05/03/07 18:56 PM (PDT)

2005 Dodge Neon Sedan SXT 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I purchased this car for my college-bound daughter after much debate vs. a small Honda or Toyota. Could not be happier with the decision. This car is stylish, fun to drive, trouble-free, and we saved a lot of money on the purchase vs. competitive models. We had a 1998 Neon and this redesign is a completely different automobile.

Purchased for highway driving.
By Sean on 03/31/07 12:25 PM (PDT)

2005 Dodge Neon Sedan SXT 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I commute to work, 40 miles each way, so a car advertising high gas mileage and low pricing was key. I bought the car in October '06 when the weather was changing. It made it through the winter no problem; starts promptly, never overheats but I have noticed a few things about the car: Gas mileage advertised is for 60mph. Anything over that, kiss the 32mpg highway goodbye. Engine idles at 6k rpm when stopped, which causes a slight vibration in the cabin. Coolant gauge's normal range varies between top end of cold and first quarter line. Brakes squeak. A lot. Don't be fooled though, they work extremely well! Dodge transmission, expect problems! Already rough at 41.5k.

Great car!
By modernmom on 01/15/07 07:54 AM (PST)

2005 Dodge Neon Sedan SE 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this car for a general drive around. I have done 2 road trips from MO to MN. I love this car $60 for gas round trip! Great stereo, great handling, no repairs other than general maintenance. I love the 28-35 mpg. Nice get up and go. I am a 40 something mom and let me tell you this car makes me feel 25! I would recommend this car to anyone. Downside, noisy brakes and inconvenient console storage. Everything else is a win win!